Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thomson Airways Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone flown recently withg them with ski gear? Just been reading T & C re Ski Carriage. Allowed 15kg (oops, 2 sets in one bag will be over) and boots have to go in your main bag, no boot bags allowed!! Are they actually enforcing that, every time I've flown in the last 10 years skki carriage has meant a ski bag and a boot bag.

Had my usual debate with KLM too, can I take a 180 roller bag and no other luggage etc. Got a yes on third rep, just had to keep caling until I got the right one. Sigh.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This might read like an advert for binding inserts but I was well pleased with Thomson 10 days ago as I'd I checked by phone beforehand to confirm their 15kg allowance for ski carriage is for a single ski bag with whatever you reasonably want to put into it so long as it's still shaped like a ski bag and weighs under 15kg total.

For me and my bro, that £35 return charge got us his Rossi Bandits with fixed bindings, my Scott Crusairs, my Scott Powdairs and his aluminium poles. Total weight including bag was 14.7 kg. My bindings & telescopic poles went in hold luggage.

Ski carriage at less than £12 return per pair. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ghost Dog, I flew with them twice last year and paid £30 for return ski carriage both times. I have a separate ski bag and carry my ski boots in my hold bag (saves carrying 3 bags) but there were plenty of folk that had separate boot bags. This didn't seem to be an issue as long as the combined weight of hold bag and boot bag did not exceed 20kg. Obviously it means those who only have boots and not skis don't have to pay any extra.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ghost Dog, Flew with Thomson Manchester-Innsbruck in '10 taking one hold case and ski boot bag, no skis, no problems with weight. Flew again in 2011, same route, hadn't noticed the samall print change in baggage allowance and ski boot charges. Got stung for £50 excess baggage charge one way at Manchester check-in. My hold case was up to the 15kg limit and they wouldn't let me take the boots in the cabin. For the return I seriously thought about wearing the boots for the flight or at least check-in, however, I reasoned that the cabin crew might throw me off. I made the assumption that I had been a "victim" of Thomson conniving at Manchester check-in and that the decent folk in Innsbruck would not be so greedy, and so it proved, no problem or no charge with ski boots for the return. This was the second time that Thomson, previously a Caribbean flight, had made a dubious attempt to fleece me at check-in on baggage. I did take it up with Thomson on my return without any satisfaction. Lesson learnt, avoid Thomson! Evil or Very Mad
I am flying Lufthansa in a couple weeks, 20kg hold baggage plus ski boots (and skis) carried free, just phone ahead on number posted on their web after booking. All for £100 return incl taxes. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flew to Sestriere with them on Monday from Newcastle. Had a roller bag each for clothes, kit etc and a double roller ski bag with 2 pairs if skis AND 2 pairs of boots. Nothing checked, all went straight through. Having said that the flight was only half full so maybe they weren't so fussy. Did the same last year but, again, on the same Boxing Day flight.paid £30 for ski carriage and weight was about 22 kgs. Good luck. Snow and weather great out here.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ghost Dog wrote:
Anyone flown recently withg them with ski gear? Just been reading T & C re Ski Carriage. Allowed 15kg (oops, 2 sets in one bag will be over) and boots have to go in your main bag, no boot bags allowed!! Are they actually enforcing that, every time I've flown in the last 10 years skki carriage has meant a ski bag and a boot bag.

I think all they mean by that is that the 15Kg allowance for the skis must all be in one bag.

You can still take a separate boot bag if you want, but the weight will count against your 20Kg standard hold allowance (which is not limited to one bag).

When you pay for ski carriage, you get an extra 15Kg, but you cannot spread the 35Kg total across your luggage as you like.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As Alex said you get 5Kg hand luggage + 20kg baggage allowance that can be spread across several bags.
If you pay for ski carriage you get an additional 15kg allowance for your ski / board bag

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/snow-extras/baggage-allowance/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought Lufthansa had started charging a couple of years ago?

Anyone else had to cope with the rigmarole (and contradictory conditions) that is KLM?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SORRY, the Lufthansa economy hold allowance is 23kg NOT 20kg as I stated, 8kg cabin. Ghost Dog, check the Lufthansa web for details on ski allowances, one piece of equipment (skis, boots, helmet) included in free allowance, they ask you to phone in to register if you have ski kit. They introduced new allowances in June 2011.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
maybe one day they will all try to be slightly consistent, we flew on a summer trip with them in september and they were arguing that hand luggage could only be 5kg regardless of the size, took a 15 min "discussion" with a manager to get them to understand that a camera bag with £3k worth of glass in it was not going in the hold... and all at 06.00 in the morning rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:
maybe one day they will all try to be slightly consistent, we flew on a summer trip with them in september and they were arguing that hand luggage could only be 5kg regardless of the size, took a 15 min "discussion" with a manager to get them to understand that a camera bag with £3k worth of glass in it was not going in the hold... and all at 06.00 in the morning rolling eyes

strangely just getting some of my stuff ready for next weeks departure. My hand luggage will consist of

canon 1d mk iv
300mm f2.8l
70-200 f2.8l
16-35 f2.8l
50mm f1.2l

a laptop
an ipad

a selection of gopros (original and 2) and mounts
a book
various chargers, batteries and cables
memory cards

My wife usually carries, food and games for the kids.. Go figure.

Strangely I always get my bag searched when going through security for some reason.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy