Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HolidayAutos cancelled on me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Booked months ago with HA, pickup in 4 days time from GVA. An email about snow equipment provokes a prompt telephone call to tell me my booking is cancelled as 'our partner don't have any cars due to the weather' !! New one on me, they were using a company called rent occasion that I see has featured here before. They've said they'll pay the difference if I can rent an equivalent car (4wd) myself, but how likely do you think that will be? Anyone had this before, and any ideas on who to get hold of a car from, with 72 hrs notice, that won't break the bank?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Holiday Autos dumped a cancellation on me once too. No appology offered - don't use them now as I don't trust them to deliver what they sell me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fourier, Who are you flying to Geneva with ? I hired a care for Austria in two weeks time through Europcar using an Easyjet discount.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bustards. Just the usual suspects like 3000 etc but I would try hunting on the French side of the airport where demand is less.
Also if you're hunting 4wd try the car hire companies Swiss sites like www.avis.ch - I've had joy there before. 4 days to go though - that's tough. Which resort are you heading to?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fourier, very annoying, sympathies. the key thing you need is snow tyres - plus chains which hopefully you won't need to use. 4WD is less important. All vehicles on the Swiss side of Gva will have snow tyres - just check on the day that you get chains too, and they're the right size. Loads of precipitation on the way - check by practising in the car park that the chains are the right size. wink

Good luck with the search.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stopped using HA / Rent Occasion, as they try to charge extra for snow tyres, whihc are complusory in Switzerland and hence have to be automatically included anyway.

Now use Auto Europe (part of the Hertz group) - slightly more expensive, but no charge for snow tyres, whihc makes them cheaper overall than HA. Also received far better / more professional service with them than with HA.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Prob no good for a last minute booking but I'd recommend Hertz. Signed up to their loyalty programme and because I got three rentals in the first year ended up with a gold card. Got a C5 estate booked in GVA for a week starting 14th Jan for approx £245 (in CHF so dependent on rate) and no up front payment. As I'm in the loyalty scheme I simply sign the paper and get the keys - no swiping, questions or anything. Worked a treat the last few times so would heartily recommend.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks guys. Holidayautos were OK a couple of years ago, but this experience is more unhappy! Ford Focus grand c-max or similar currently around 750 euros - I remember now why I booked in September. Thanks for some of the suggestions, I'll go and look at those sites.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Ford Focus grand c-max or similar currently around 750 euros

Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You may be entertained (or appalled) to know that a Ford Grand C-Max (I doubt it's really very grand!) costs £750/week from GVA with AVIS, or a Ford Focus from £700. Heigh-ho, I feel prolonged discussions with HolidayAutos will be taking place on our return!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fourier, Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a similar problem with HA in September,hiring from Gibraltar...I was told (when I got to the front of a very long queue) that the hire car comapany had "run out" of cars. After lengthy discussions with HA (in India!) I was advised to keep all receipts and hire a car from an alternative supplier. Of course there was only one other hire company in the area and they had no cars either! Long and short of it, we did manage to get a hire car the following day and taxied everywhere prior to picking it up. Holiday Autos kept their word, the balance was paid in full within a couple of weeks, though no compensation was offered for pain and stress!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fourier, As you are stuffed, I'd suggest you contact the premium suppliers Avis/Hertz in Geneva directly -If you have a premium Amex card (Gold/Plat/Black or the BA Amex ) or a BA Gold Exec Card (don't bother if you're blue or silver) it's worth asking them for help. Hang onto your top up gap guarantee from HA = you really don't care if the replacement is £2K do you as they've offered to pay the difference. why would you Puzzled Don't worry about the bank or breaking it -HA will have to pay! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

As gbium, says joining the loyalty schemes is a good idea -I have both Avis and Hertz just in case I need back-up.

If you're still stuck, PM me early tomorrow and I'll try and give you a couple of long shots who may know who/where to ask locally in Geneva.

BTW, where are you planning to ski - as pamW says, you may be OK with decent winter tyres>?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again - going to 3 valleys Le Praz area, and like the security of 4wd as with young kids we often don't ski the whole day, and may be up and down the road to Meribel swimming pool etc... I agree 2wd with winter tyres prob adequate, but it's not what I booked or paid for! Slightly anxious that the only confiramtion from HA that they will cover the difference has been by phone, and repeated emails have not elicited a written confirmation.

Finding a replacement 4wd now though is highlky unlikely, although there may be something available at the rental site - they won't know for certain until our arrival. I guess I'll just get what I can and discuss reimbursement later. If another car hire company tells me I've left it a bit late, I won't be responsible for my actions...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy