Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you recommend me some 'cool' ski films?!?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, im off skiing with the sisters school group in January and I've been entrusted to create a video diary of the trip... Now in my bid to make it seem like I'm "down with thr kids" I'd like your recommendations for the coolest ski or snowboard videos youve seen which could give me some inspiration!

I'm not looking for amazing technical content, it's purely the cinematography aspect I'm mainly interested in!

Oh and any great music track you think would be good would also be welcome Very Happy

Many thanks,

Tom
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anything from Matchstick Productions
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, I like this video shot on a gopro! Not sure if your planning on using a helmet cam sorta thing but I'm also going in January and would like to make something like this!

http://youtube.com/v/2w6RaSTKWUU

Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/ cool movie, but maybe not the best inspiration for a film of a school group!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flippin' kipper,

I found that video the other day, it made me just want to buy a GoPro even more than I do

It gives you a good idea of all the types of shots you can get

tomb,

Try watching some production company ski movies for some good editing ideas, unless you have access to a helicopter on a school trip I don't think you'll manage to get many similar camera shots or angles

I would defiantly recommend getting a gopro to film with as you can mount in anywhere and get some awesome shots, also you can get full HD, 60fps for slow mo and 170 degree wide angle
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look at Immersion, from Matchstick Productions. It's a bit different from other ski movies as it includes a lot more atmospheric stuff and interviews about what the mountains and skiing means to the various skiers.
It's 9 years old now but still my favourite by some way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any idea where I can find a copy of Immersion? Been looking everywhere with no luck.

Anything by MSP is seconded!

I know it's not skiing, but I bought "The Art of Flight" (it's on iTunes), that has some spectacular cinematography in it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gotta be Chalet Girl for a girls school ski trip, no? Laughing

failing that, google "A skiers journey" (the La Grave and Baffin Island episodes in particular)

brilliant brilliant

there's a few threads on here recently too with plenty of good leads
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

http://youtube.com/v/G5dOB3VSyC8

I'm really not sure it could be any cooler if it tried.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try 'The Art of Flight'. That's where it's at blood.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anything by Dick Barrymore
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try `Claim` its awesome
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a big of 'all i can' by sherpa cinemas, available on Itunes.

Also seconding anything by MSP
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Carlos the Slackal, and rambotion, couldn't agree more.

'All I Can' is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time, with a strong environmental message throughout too, highly recommended.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There used to be a lot of good films on Rush HD, if you have Sky HD. Lots of ski movies, less so boarding, but they were interesting nonetheless.

If it's the filming you want to look at, check out 'The Art of Flight' - yes, it's a snowboarding movie, but it's probably the biggest budget snowsports film so far and there are some truly stunning shots in there. Some people don't like the overuse of slo-mo but nonetheless, it's an impressive work.
ski holidays
OK best ski fim ever has to be STEEP

But try this vid from our friends down in Japan then tell me how the heck they got some of these shots, they have told me they are doing the same camera work for skiing films this year if they pull it off it will be amazing Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/nGy5QAbfFUY&lc=h4Qrz0b7QWs8u5Qk8FEP_ppRMvUL29TYoc25HWl761I&context=G2aeb7a6FAAAAAAAAAAA&feature=g-all-c
snow report
I was disappointed with All I Can apart from the JP Auclair street segment which was indeed awesome, but the rest was a bit too time-lapsy for my taste and the enviro message I found a bit lame / preachy.

some links to the afore mentioned Chad Sayers / Jordan Manley work, in order of awesomeness - absolutely magic

La Grave: A Skier's Journey Ep2 from Jordan Manley
http://vimeo.com/15315278
Baffin Island: A Skier's Journey EP2 [Season 2] from Jordan Manley
http://vimeo.com/33516816
Argentina: A Skier's Journey EP3 [Season 2] from Jordan Manley
http://vimeo.com/34067485
ski holidays
livetoski, I think that's a cable run camera.

Often used in MTB films, have a look on teh interwebz for "Making of Roam" for more.
latest report
livetoski wrote:
....tell me how the heck they got some of these shots......

Remote control helicopter maybe, or cable cam as already said. Seen a few things in mags where they've had little choppers fitted with GoPros and what not
snow report
^ reckon they musta had something similar in the Auclair segment - the tracking shot down the hill as he's flipping through the back gardens Shocked
snow conditions
livetoski wrote:
OK best ski fim ever has to be STEEP

Well worth grabbing a copy of STEEP.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy