Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Megeve - 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Had a very nice day in Megeve today, my first day on skis of the season.

It was a beautiful blue sky day, fairly warm so I didn't even need a woolly hat, and my new Hestra 3 finger mitts as recommended on here didn't get much of a challenge today.

Snow conditions were pretty good, very nice on runs with some exposure to the sun, a bit harder on those runs to resort that were in the shade all day, but nothing too bad. Pretty much the whole area was open, with the exception of Mont Joly and the run down to St Gervais.

Apart from the queue for the lift pass, as unfortunately my old electronic card was no longer able to be recharged, queues in the morning were rare and pistes were pretty quiet, but certainly by the afternoon it had filled out with some bigger queues on the lifts on the main runs down to the village. Over towards St Gervais it was a lot quieter. The traffic queue to get in and out of Megeve was pretty nasty though on the evening drive home, maybe people arriving to stay through to the New Year.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-01-12 21:03; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're having our first season away from Megeve/St Gervais/Les Contamines for 4 years and although I'm looking forward to being in Chatel and the PDS this year I will miss the Mont Blanc Evasion area - some great skiing to be had there. Have a great time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a day in Megeve today, visiting the Jaillet/La Giettaz sector for the first time.

Weather wasn't brilliant, but was good enough, and really kept away the Sunday crowds, at times had the piste almost to myself, which is amazing for a Sunday.

My first run was a big worry - the run under the Jaillet bubble was intended as a warmer-upper, but was really wet & heavy powder, which was a fairly big challenge for someone of my limited abilities, however a ski instructor who came alongside with half a dozen kids also commented to me that it was tough going.

Thankfully this was a one-off - every other run was in superb condition, and had apparently 10cm fresh snow overnight to add to the already excellent snow cover. The snow was spring-like in its consistency, but without the late afternoon mush of later in the season. Apart from the patches of low cloud that needed to be navigated on parts of most long runs, it was a great day's skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Popped up to Megeve today with Jr, just to noodle around with him, we didn't actually go skiing properly.

Nevertheless, the weather was lovely, just a bit hazy but the sun was out, the snow was in fantastic nick - we stayed right low down and it was perfection so I imagine it's awesome up high.

Also, there was no traffic getting there, we parked in a great space within about 2 minutes, got straight on a chair lift, and the pistes we went on (the beginner runs down at village level at Rochebrune) were pretty empty. I guess this must be the quiet week before half term... which presumably must be next week - which was a relief because I thought it was this week!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulio, the French hols start this week, but it's not Paris, which is the worst. Not many Brits go to Megeve (or the other Arly Valley resorts) so I guess the fact that this is half term for most English schools doesn't make much difference there. And I don't think Megeve gets too busy - lots of people go there to pose, and spend money in the restaurants, rather than ski!

Elsewhere there are reports that smaller French resorts are very quiet, people staying at home and/or not spending a lot of money. So this holiday season may be better than is sometimes the case. The cold temperatures might be keeping some people indoors, too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cold temperatures my big rosy buttocks. If a two year old can deal with it...

Also, that beginner area at Rochebrune - with the 11 EUR special lift pass for access to two Magnestick-enabled chairlifts - is about as good as they come for little wee debutantes. Fantastic, I think we'll be back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, The carparks at Mt Arbois and the Princesse cablecar looked full when I left at about 2pm.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, First time visit to Megeve in a 40 years ski career using Simon Butler's arrangements link : http://www.simonbutlerskiing.com/
The ski conditions last week were superb right down to the village. Never saw any ice at all. The weather was cold at minus 10 to 15 centigrade so one needed 4 torso layers, at least 2 leg layers, under gloves and mittens, plus balaclava and ski helmet. Fantastic ski terrain mostly in the tree line over 3 separate interlinked areas, it reminded me of Canada or the USA. Not many mainstream t/o's goes there but would thoroughly recomment Simon Butler with 25 years experience in the resort. With the snow conditions so good this year Megeve is real good buy even though it is low altitude with a resort height of < 1100 metres. Lovely mountain restaurants but some of them quite pricey. Pretty village centre reminiscent of Austria and rather out of character to many French resorts. Only 1.5 hours transfer from Genevea airport. Megeve has loads of plus points this year with the snow conditions as they are. If you have never been before now is the year to try with the snow conditions best in 10 years Very Happy Blush
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had another great day in Megeve today. I parked in Combloux and skied in the Combloux/Jaillet/La Giettaz area all day.

Blue skies all day with amazing views of Mont Blanc and Point Percee, and the pistes were in great condition apart from the odd slushy patch, only really bad on the lowest runs down to Jaillet. Both the Combloux and Giettaz areas were in great shape. It was amazingly quiet for such a beautiful Sunday, I had many runs to myself in the morning and late afternoon. I must have been the fourth or fifth person down one run I skied down at about 10.30 judging by the tracks in the otherwise pristine corduroy.

Contrary to its reputation for being pricy, it was only 27 euros for the day, and I had a great steak sandwich and coke in La Giettaz for a reasonable 9 euros. I also alerted a liftie to a small kid who was about to fall off a chairlift, saving a potentially nasty accident, so all in all a great day!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitters,
Quote:

Both the Combloux and Giettaz areas were in great shape.

sounds really good - we are due to be La Giettaz next week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pamski, Yes, considering the warm temps there was no slush to be seen in La Giettaz and when I was there for a couple of hours around lunchtime it was all very good to ski, all runs complete and with good snow. It's pretty warm out here at the moment so I hope it holds out for you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitters, Just returned from a second week in Megeve. The ski conditions in the morning were remarkably good, whilst in the aftwernoon the snow was quite slush like. We had wall to wall sunshine and blue skies with temperatures in resort of around 15 centigrade. Both the Jaillet and the Rochebrune areas were holding up well, whilst Mont d'Arbois had some brown patches, however it was still possible to ski down to the start of the the Montd'Arbois gondola. Fist time in Megeve for me, and I hope to repeat next year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy