Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D'Huez - half day lessons for beginner - dumb question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at ADH for hols at end of January. Our littlest is a beginner.

Most of the TOs are offering Learn to Ski packages for a whole day for beginners. She doesn't want this and neither do we.

We don't particularly want to book her into the TO's class and only do half the lessons because she may well lag behind the other kids.

I suppose we could book her into half day lessons with ESF ourselves? Any thoughts?

Also, anyone know whether would she need a pass as a beginner?

I know that Esprit's standard lessons for beginners are a half day only, but Esprit don't let kids eat with their parents so Esprit is a no-no.

Cheers

Dobby
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dobby, it's relatively unusual in France to have all day lessons. How old is your littlest? Is that definitely what's on offer? I can imagine it would seem a bit much.

The people who know ADH might be able to recommend an independent ski school - ESF isn't for everybody.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Pam

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell, Crystal and Thomson (the Tui TOs with whom we can find the "right" accommodation) are offering whole day lessons for beginners. Haven't checked with First Choice cos we had a mare with them 4 years ago ("Don't worry; your luggage is at the airport. We'll get it for you tomorrow afternoon"). Littlest is 8, and did not have a great time with ESF last time (but then she was only 4 and wasn't impressed by ESF's "Go on, ski" attitude). She has had a couple of dry slope lessons and so I think she'll cope with ESF this time.

I am tempted to just book the lessons separately with ESF or EasySki (not Charlotte in LDA) and see how she gets on.

Cheers

Dobby
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby, the Crystal and Thomson websites are very uninformative about what their "learn to ski" deals include, aren't they? they say "5 or 6 days tuition" but don't say how many hours per day. Given the bargain prices it would be a bit surprising if it was all day.

I hope Littlest has a good time, whoever she skis with!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dobby we put our 2 kids in with a esf over the lunch time in a private lesson. They got 90 mins and progressed the same speed as other kids in group lessons and it kept the OH happy knowing they were not in a big group. It worked out roughly the same price as we had 2 kids so it will be a bit more expensive if you compare it to a group lesson with only one child.

We have always booked direct with ESF at ADH and met them at the ski school meeting place knowing who we were getting.

The thing about the lift passes are that they give you access to the buses to get around but i'm yet to see anyone check, I also think the beginners lift in Les Bergers is free but you can confirm that with the ski school should you end up going.

We have been 5 times and the kids were 5 and 7 the first year Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi dobby, Our kids learnt to ski at 4 and 6 years old in Andorra which was brilliant. Ski school was excellent and the Kindergarden (up to age 5) was perfect. It was in a morning and incorporated skiing and playing. Our youngest came on leaps and bounds and had great fun.
I am not sure but I think ESS have a ski school in ADH and my oldest who is now 11 really enjoyed lessons with ESS in L2A and they seemed to go at a steadier pace than ESF. My son ,who is an adrenalin junkie- at the age of 7 ,really enjoyed ESF. He went all day which I probably wouldn't do again as we missed him skiing with us. We also organised a couple of 2 hour private lessons for our youngest, in Andorra, which he really benefitted from .ESF seem to have a no nonsense approach, which frankly , wouldn't suit our oldest as she needs coaxing rather than ordering, but I suppose it depends on your little ones personality, and ultimately on the instructor. I hope she has a great time whichever way you do it. I must admit we crossed our fingers that our kids would love skiing, now we wish we hadn't encouraged it as we have to take them with us now (lol).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Dobby, If you haven't sorted out lessons yet try Masterclass, English ski school. A small outfit but they've been there for 15 years and are EXCELLENT. You can have most variations of a lesson, including one off's, and they charge the same whether you go alone or is group up to 5. Our daughter learnt with them and has never looked back. If they are booked up (quite likely at this stage) try Stance Snow. A french outfit but they really do speak fluent English and are also very good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kathy Pet wrote:
Hi Dobby, If you haven't sorted out lessons yet try Masterclass, English ski school. A small outfit but they've been there for 15 years and are EXCELLENT. You can have most variations of a lesson, including one off's, and they charge the same whether you go alone or is group up to 5. Our daughter learnt with them and has never looked back. If they are booked up (quite likely at this stage) try Stance Snow. A french outfit but they really do speak fluent English and are also very good.

Another recommendation here for Masterclass - Stuart or Mel both absolutely brilliant teachers, lots of fun too
http://www.masterclass.f9.co.uk/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy