Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Apres ski footwear

Poster: A snowHead
Can't believe I am posting on here looking for fashion advice wink

Anyway, after a few days stumbling around Chamonix in crap footwear, I am struggling for ideas. I am looking for something that meets the following criteria:

- not insulated - i don't feel the cold in my feet
- resistant to snow (doesn't need to be fully waterproof but not absorbent like, say, Converse all stars would be, or full of holes like Crocs)
- at least partially covers the ankle so snow doesn't get inside the shoe too easily
- decent sole (Vibram or similar)

any ideas?

I have some Salomon approach shoes which claim to have goretex them but actually are almost the opposite of goretex in that they leak in wet conditions and make my feet sweat and stink because the don't breathe well. they are also cut quite low around the ankle so i need to be careful about letting snow in
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, I've tried various trainer type shoes over the years, but stumbled on a pair of Scarpa approach shoes in TKMaxx for £35, best most comfortable well made trainers I've ever owned, been back several times since to see if I could buy another pair they're so good. I'd pay full price they're so good.

I've done the TNF, Salomon, Merrell ones and they're crap in comparison.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, cheers - have my eye on a couple of things from Scarpa and my only concern is that they don't cover much of the ankle
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skate(board) shoes are literally perfect.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're not wearing your ski boots, it's not apres ski.
That's just called goin for a pint.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, what's wrong with leather boots with a Vibram sole? I use mine for summer treks sometime, I'm sure you can wear them in a warm bar in the winter...

jimmjimm, Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timberlands.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timberlands were the worst boot I ever had; no grip whatsoever - skidding around like a skiddy thing on skates.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, I've had two pairs, never had that problem.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, doesn't the grip in snow suck a bit?

horizon, probably a bit warm for my sweaty feet Skullie

Lizzard, I'd feel like I'd turned into my dad wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, different styles probably
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

my two year old Clarkes gortex boots are still going strong and if its really icy or snowy then, you need some of these
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Snow-and-Ice-Grips-for-Shoes-Large

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin sorry could note resist post this up Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are Crocs without holes - e.g. http://www.crocs.co.uk/crocs-greeley/11483,en_GB,pd.html?cid=261&cgid=men-footwear

But moderately expensive for what they are. You'd probably find something a lot cheaper in that huge great Quechua place down the road.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just get some mid weight fabric hiking boots, I have the Scarpa high ankle ones. Although I just use combat style for walking around as they are high, waterproof and a little more dressy with jeans.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just picked up some Merrell Apollos. They do everything you are looking for. For ice and snow they could do with a little bit more rugged sole, but what's on there is perfectly good for around town.
snow conditions
I saw a chap with good old English rubber soled brogues with mini sprung crampons posing about in a hotel lounge presumably trying to improve the weft of the carpet. Good old tight arsed Brit, down the livestock sale Friday cramponed up Tignes Monday.
latest report
Arno, flip flops and MTFU Toofy Grin
snow report
i don't get it.... shouldn't you still be in your ski boots?
snow report
Arno wrote:
clarky999, doesn't the grip in snow suck a bit?

I find the flat 'waffle' style of sole on my skate shoes is a better grip on skiddy icy streets than the chunky car-tyre style sole I have on my walking boots. Oddly enough.
snow report
Arno, Oakley assault shoes/boots are ideal, thet are like winter tyres for your feet.http://www.oakley.com/products/s-i-assault-shoe/11097-001

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 23-12-11 10:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
My North Face Snow Sneakers have been great. Going strong a couple of seasons on.

Pretty grippy on snow and ice. I'm pretty sure they do a mid cut version as well. They are, however, insulated with a thin layer of primaloft. My feet never get too hot in them, even wearing them in summer. They just never get cold. Not vibram sole either, but still pretty good.

latest report
Dot., might be the answer - after all, skin is perfectly waterproof Wink
more i think about it the more i think horizon's suggestion might be the one to pursue. i need some new walking boots anyway
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy