Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland is Extremely Expensive!!

Poster: A snowHead
Im about to complete a week of skiing in Switzerland and am in shock at how expensive it is here.

My advise to anyone that does not have a Swiss bank account or some gold boullion to go somewhere cheaper like Japan!

Tap water is 3CHF and a bowl of soup is 10CHF.

Ski equipment can be double UK prices. Train tickets are more than the flight and to hire a taxi for an airport transfer it is cheaper to buy a car!

Take my advise and go elsewhere.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's also, in my experience, a fantastic place to ski.
Did you have a nice time ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Downhill Sailor, just got back and if your sensible its not too bad, cab's in any resort are expensive, we took the bus a lot cheaper managed to get a large burger and large chips and a large drink for CHF24.00. that was lunch sorted, stayed half board. Drinks on the mountain where expensive as they are in France so we filled a water bottle in the morning.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Downhill Sailor, sorry did Japan last year and would say it was cheaper Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm surprised that you're shocked. I thought everyone knew Switzerland was expensive.

It is however, reassuringly similarly expensive in the cities, such as in Geneva or Zurich, so hopefully you won't feel you're being ripped off simply because you're in a ski resort.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Like everywhere you can drink out of the taps, miss meals and just eat sarnies.

With what you save you can then go out on the lash and just p!ss it away wink

Valuable advice there kids
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and the popt is a catholic!

Is their a point we all now it is pricy but Swiss transfer ticket avoids the cost of cabs, Supermarkets in resorts for bottles of water etc are cheap and the water out of your tap is free even in Switzerland
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Expensive yes, but they are oh-so descrete about asking where your money comes from...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Switzerland is a big place.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Is their a point we all now it is pricy but Swiss transfer ticket avoids the cost of cabs, Supermarkets in resorts for bottles of water etc are cheap and the water out of your tap is free even in Switzerland

Wow, that sounds like a SUPER holiday. Let me quickly sign up for that...

Of course, I could just go to another country and not do any of that stuff.... Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
10 chuffs for a bowl of soup..bargin. and like the others say tap water is free if you take a water bottle and plus it tastes great..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Like everywhere you can drink out of the taps, miss meals and just eat sarnies.

A sarnie and a bottle of water @ GVA yesterday was 16.3 CHF or thereabouts = 14.3 euro (on their exchange rate)

The guy behind the counter was pretty disappointed to take the sarnie out of the wrapper and to put it back on display, but as I was flying Swiss not EZY then i knew I'd get something on the plane..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Wow, that sounds like a SUPER holiday. Let me quickly sign up for that...

Swiss trains are probably the nicest transfer other than private chopper you will have in the alps so not sure why it does not sound appealing!

I apologise if buying a bottle of water in a supermarket does not quite meet your usual expectation of having your butler crawl over with Fiji water on his back!

Swiss skiing is a premium product with some of the best lifts, on hill food and is at the luxury end of the skiing price range.

The initial OP was complaining about the price of hiring a cab when a 135 chf 1 hour train journey was available (Assuming he was in Engelberg as per his other post)

A bottle of water or tap water v being charged a premium for a on hill price again avoidable.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markoncarp wrote:
Of course, I could just go to another country and not do any of that stuff.... Shocked

Or stay home and not do any of that stuff... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett, but on Swiss you only get a manky litte roll and some chocolate..

I remember flying into GVA and baulking at the price of the nice baguette shop on the way to the trains..now having lived here for 18 months I find myself thinking thats not bad compared to a schnitzel brot from volg....

Fly Nikki wins on the food front, proper big jaus'n brot with ham and cheese.
snow report
Downhill Sailor, Switzerland is a large place, where are you staying ?

We always go to Switzerland because its worth it and know its expensive but its all about being a smart spender !!

snow conditions
The Swiss Rail green tag luggage system is so good, never having to lug your bags anywhere makes for a fantastic holiday.
Arosa has free buses and even the road cleaners speak three languages!!!
France for me this year Puzzled
snow report
Chris Brookes, I dare say you're right - but I've been struggling to see the relevance of that picture to a discussion about the quality of Swiss skiing. That's just snow - and there's no shortage of that round much of the Alps at the moment. I watched a man on a roof today, shovelling the stuff - he wasn't a tall guy and it was higher than his head.
ski holidays
Not really the Swiss at fault, mainly our dreadful exchange rate is what hurts, Swiss prices take forever to change, but the exchange rate is a different matter entirely, does make me wish my father had taken the ski instructor/farmer job he was offered there 40 years ago though Sad
latest report
I agree. Switzerland is too expensive. With the strong franc, more effort is needed to attract tourists. A plate of Spaghetti costs 20 francs on the slopes, and that's without beverages. Such prices are outrageous even for people who are paid in Swiss francs (like me). More and more people who live here order things on the Internet because there are huge savings to be made. That's particularily true for sports items. A pair of skis costs roughly 20% less in France. If you couple that with lower VAT in Switzerland (7.6%) and the strong franc, you often end up with massive savings by purchasing across the border.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Chris Brookes, I dare say you're right - but I've been struggling to see the relevance of that picture to a discussion about the quality of Swiss skiing. That's just snow - and there's no shortage of that round much of the Alps at the moment. I watched a man on a roof today, shovelling the stuff - he wasn't a tall guy and it was higher than his head.

pam w...life is too short, please dont spend your valuable time struggling on how relevance my picture is to this discussion. Its simple, i posted my picture as it shows the height the snow can get in some Swiss resorts compared to other countries plus its a lovely picture...can you see the heart...lol

chill...its christmas and snow is plenty over the alps Laughing
snow report
Quote:

I apologise if buying a bottle of water in a supermarket does not quite meet your usual expectation of having your butler crawl over with Fiji water on his back!

Now that's talking extremes isnt it? I was pointing out that it's nice not to have to go into a supermarket to buy a bottle of water when you are on holiday! I mean honestly, £16 or £17 for a burger, chips and drink is pretty steep and it seems that people are actually saying thats a bargain? When prices are that high, you are forced to go out and fend for yourself when, to me, one of the highlights of skiing is that break at the mountain restaurant when you can take it all in. I'd be disspointed to miss out on that (and by the way, I DO sometimes take a sarnie and a drink up on the mountain - its just that its my CHOICE, rather than forced upon me)

Quote:

Swiss skiing is a premium product with some of the best lifts, on hill food and is at the luxury end of the skiing price range.

Thats rather subjective...
snow report
Go east a bit, €4 for a lovely goullaschupperduppersoup Smile mit lashing of bread
snow report
What you all forget is that 5 years ago you got 2.4chf to the £. Swiss salaries haven't gone down and Swiss prices haven't gone down. So convert at 2.4 to understand the Swiss cost. Blame the UK economy and not the Swiss for why your holiday is expensive.
ski holidays
What BobinCH said.

Swiss prices have not changed appreciably in the last seven years....the FX has been a killer for us Brits adns also for the Euros as the chf has appreciated massively.
That has not been too clever for the Swiss economy overall....palpable panic in the government and businesses when the chf was going up and up and up earlier this year before they soft-fixed at €1.20
snow report
Ten quid today for a massive spare ribs and chips, in one of the most ancient mountain huts I've ever been in.

Of course this was not Switzerland, but Austria. But I see no reason why Swiss (or French) eateries are incapable of doing similar at a similar price. Maybe they just want customers to go elsewhere Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
I was under the impression that restaurants in CH HAD to serve tap water for free, maybe I'm wrong but I've heard this from a few Swiss friends. not that helpful unless your a hunger striking skier of course...(bet theres not many of those around here). I do think you can still get a good deal and enjoy lovely Swiss resorts on a low budget, don't eat on the hill in restos, sleep away from the slope, drive or just look for last minute packages. I'm betting in 24 months time the Swiss tourist industry could be a bit bleak but then again, like the euro, that exchange rate has been steadily improving. France and Austria must be grabbing a lot of the action now
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Go east a bit, €4 for a lovely goullaschupperduppersoup Smile mit lashing of bread

.....and quality bait it is too...............
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It's also, in my experience, a fantastic place to ski.
Did you have a nice time ?

Tarquin, Lovely post Very Happy

I have yet to hear of people who want to go to France/Austria/Bulgaria being denied that and forced to go to Switzerland. It's not difficult to do a little research on comparative costs before your holiday to inform your choice. Once you've done that there's no point in constantly comparing costs with UK unless you want to spend all your holiday feeling cheesed off.

And you do get lovely loos for your money!
snow report
Yes, but I like it!
snow conditions
Just booked flights for my next trip to CH. Always worth the trip.
ski holidays
The one good thing about the high prices is that it should keep all the common rif- raff away
snow report
The mighty Swiss Franc lords it over the cr*ppy Euro and Pound.

If the Europeans weren't cooking their books, and the Brits actually bothered to do some work, Switzerland would be a whole lot cheaper.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

If the Europeans weren't cooking their books, and the Brits actually bothered to do some work, Switzerland would be a whole lot cheaper.

It would have been funny had it not be so true!

Who knows the Swiss aren't cooking their book?
snow report
Last year we took a Defender with full roof cage and brought enough food and drink for 12 people staying in a self catering chalet just round the corner from Verbier. Lovely cheap hol Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Downhill Sailor, I remember 10 CHF to the pound before the Tory government got in, a round of drinks at the Palace hotel was still £76 I also remember.
latest report
D G Orf, has it right. I've been fortunate enough to spend a season in Suisse recently .. and it was 'reasonable' ... everywhere in Europe 'costs' now. Even Austria ( am I allowed to say that?)

Scrimp/Save /Beg/ Borrow .... but as a wannabe 3rd-world nation, that is what the Pound-costs-us.

Oh and Swiss skiing is 'The Best" imho .... ( if Zermatt, Gstaad, 4 vallees etc are allowed to be representative)
latest report
riverman wrote:
The one good thing about the high prices is that it should keep all the common rif- raff away

Welcome to ToryHeads
snow conditions
It worked anyway - I havent been back to Wengen since I was charged £14 for a pint and a half of lager.

I take my common riff-raff money to Italy or Austria now.
ski holidays
Hmmmm, it's all relevant really isn't it?

When we moved to CH in 2006, it seemed broadly comparable to central London.

Hotels and food/drink priçes really haven't changed.

The exchange rate however...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy