Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waterproof zips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Call me old fashioned, but I don't like the idea of a waterproof zip. I like the old fashioned zip then flap over it and then another flap over the first flap with velcro from top to bottom. Keeps the weather out nicely. Most ski jackets (at the not skiing-in-Scottish-rain level) have only one flap, I guess few people go out when it rains so the manufacturers don't bother.

I'm a bit dubious, though, about waterproof zips. Firstly are they as air- and water-tight as a nicely velcro-ed down flap?

Secondly, what happens when the zip fails? Hypothermia?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have waterproof zips on my Berghaus jacket that is used in the UK. They are at least as waterproof as the velcro flappy things, not leaked yet in Peak District rain so snow would be no problem. I prefer the waterproof zip option as there is no extra velcro/poppers to break/get incrusted in endless hair and fluff and you don't have to fasten the flap all the time. Better with a rucksack on as well as their is no chance of the flap being pinned back by the chest strap.

And obviously they are better as you will look more pro!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last, I spent a rather miserable day on Friday skiing in heavy rain/sleet. waterproof zips did their job flawlessly on jacket and pants

as for what happens if the zip fails, well, you are a bit screwed but a velcro storm flap isn't really going to keep the weather out if the zip behind it has bust.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The waterproof zips do degrade over time since the action of the zip wears on the waterproof cover. I have a bag where you can see the extents to which I normally open it due to that. The combination of both the waterproof zips and a storm flap is ze best at least in my opinion. I have a softshell with waterproof zips but no storm flap and whilst it works it doesn't like high winds and heavy rain (but then it is a softshell so you expect to get a bit wet).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used to work in a zip factory and they are made from a continuous coil of nylon onto the webbing. They then go through a bath where the waterproof solution is added. There is no special manufacturing process other than the coating.
Not possible to make it as water tight as the flap combo, but a good compromise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ianbradders, the zips I have that are weather-proof also have either a 'cloth' or rubberised layer over the top that interleaves when the zip is closed to seal the thing up. I'll take some pictures later for illustration.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meh, I know the ones you mean, they are a newer development from when i left the place (YKK).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My bike jacket has an extremely waterproof "zip" - it's two layers of rubbery plastic that zip together rather than a traditional zip. Locks at the bottom, and comes with a silicone pen to keep it smooth. Amazingly waterproof, didn't let in a drop even when it felt as though I was swimming along the M4 last week! Combined with the goretex outer shell, I do wonder if this technology is likely to become more widespread
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh, now i have looked at my softshell i think they are just a standard zip (probably a 2cc) and the coat manufacturer sews the cover to overlap over it.
This creates the waterproof seal. So ultimately depends how good the coat is put together.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Diving drysuits have a truely waterproof / gas tight zip and I have seen similar zips on waterproof kitbags but not on coats. When the hole your body / hands / head stick out of is so large there isn't much point in paying hundreds of pounds for a truely waterproof zip...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a Berghaus Extrem 200 Paclite with waterproof zips which I bough because I didn't want to fly to NZ carrying my heavier jacket I usually ski in. We skied 2 days in driving sleet at Coronet, and I stayed dry as a bone. I reckon that if you get the right brand - water proof zips are ace.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MontriondSkier wrote:
Diving drysuits have a truely waterproof / gas tight zip and I have seen similar zips on waterproof kitbags but not on coats. When the hole your body / hands / head stick out of is so large there isn't much point in paying hundreds of pounds for a truely waterproof zip...

I agree on the "big hole" part.

I honestly HATE the storm flap! My jacket has a regular zip with a flap over it. The velcro just catches EVERYTHING! Hair, glove liners, ski bag handle... you name it!

Not to mention if I took off my gloves (and glove liners) off first, the velcro then try to EAT the skin of my hand! Sad

I'm not running out to buy another jacket with waterproof zips. But I won't mourn the death of storm flaps...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was dubious when I switched to my Changabang jacket after having an old Berhaus goretex (for I think 18 years) but I am now a big waterproof zip fan. Never had a problem and makes for a lighter and lower profile jacket.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, I think you worry to much. There is more to life believe me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy