Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is my Skiing Level?

Poster: A snowHead
andyrew wrote:
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

So, I'm not sure, what do I have to do to leave this comfort zone?

Errrr..............try all of the above on a snowboard (assuming you only ski)?

Good point. NOW I am scared witless Shocked

I agree with this, I have just finished my first week skiing after 20+ years snowboarding and the redefining of your "comfort zone" quite a strange experience. I think I progressed quite well and had a couple of excellent 2hr private lessons and was thus able to push my boundaries further than I expected to in my first week.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Off-piste, freestyle, tele plus just doing the same stuff in better style.

For me, there's no such thing as a good skier/snowboarder who "doesn't do off-piste". The variability of the snow is what separates the good from the confident... wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:
andyrew wrote:

Take yourself to the top of the steepest, iciest black run you know, with rock hard marbles and moguls on it.

Take one ski off and give it to a mate who skis to the bottom with it

See how you feel Smile

Or you could try this:

http://youtube.com/v/hzuurkKSX-w
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
By the way, that involves going to Chamonix.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamcham wrote:
By the way, that involves going to Chamonix.

and spending money. It's just been suggested to me that the real way to get me out of my comfort zone is to get me to spend anywhere near £1000 for a skiing holiday... Or in fact to get me to spend much at all.

yes, that looks fun, I don't know if I will ever do it, I would think I need to be a bit fitter for that. I have a small confession though, its going to take quite a bit to worry me about the height thing, the view when you're just entering a spin in an aeroplane is something I'm fairly familiar with.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Off-piste, freestyle, tele plus just doing the same stuff in better style.
For me, there's no such thing as a good skier/snowboarder who "doesn't do off-piste". The variability of the snow is what separates the good from the confident... wink

You miss the point. This is not to do with whether I'm any good at skiing or not, just whether I'd get scared witless standing at the top of something. I think its a shame for some skiers if they do (and they're capable enough) because its so limiting.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyrew, I agree, it's unlikely to scare you witless, in fact, it might even make you a little excited, as it does me. But it will probably be outside your comfort zone, which is a good feeling every now and then. Outside comfort zone and scared witless are two different things. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never been "scared witless" but I have certainly felt concerned at times - for example before doing La Grave in January (and I wouldn't have done that without an instructor in whom I had complete trust). I've also felt uncomfortable in poor visibility and in nasty snow conditions (and in some situations sailing) and sometimes had to cope on my own, sometimes with instruction/guidance.

I enjoy a challenge with the right support and within reason and will continue to have lessons and try new things. But whilst I recognise how much fun more capable skiers have with challenging off piste, throwing themselves down couloirs, I also recognise that both my physical limitations (old age, a dodgy knee) and my personal liking for being only a tad "outside my comfort zone" will mean I am unlikely to join them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, said

"Part of that is to show they already have the necessary skills, then helping them find the confidence to tackle slopes they previously wouldn't have. That might well be a stiff blue, an icy red, black pistes they have a phobia of, or wind blown off piste followed by lumpy variable snow."

I totally agree. For reasons unknown I had got nervous about skiing anything steeper than a blue. Don't know why. I asked my instructor which reds in resort were easier. He said that I was perfectly capable of skiing any of them...and I was (not too badly either). My smaller daughter had a private lesson and the instructor took one look at her skiing, asked why daughter had only been skiing greens and blues and said "we'll go down the black...you'll be fine". And she was. OK, is was not a black black. More a reddish one to give the resort a selection of black runs. But it still opened up a whole lot of the resort we hadn't skied before.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't recall ever feeling nervous about skiing, but I don't ski off piste (not insured).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

and spending money. It's just been suggested to me that the real way to get me out of my comfort zone is to get me to spend anywhere near £1000 for a skiing holiday... Or in fact to get me to spend much at all.

Done all of these?

http://youtube.com/v/mwVdbgK-Z-E

Lift pass a whole £11.50 on Saturday. That's not much at all

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
loved that nevis video - looks excellent
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andyrew,

you find it bizarre that people can get "scared witless" piste skiing.
I find it bizarre that someone who finds "difficult" pistes very comfortable isn't that bothered about off piste. The fact that your skis are skiiny is no kind of explanation. Nor is cost. I worked a season back in 1993/4 in Courchevel and spent most of the time teaching myself to ski offpiste on 2m slalom skis without spending anything beyond a liftpass...

As soon as you start skiing offpiste it is easy to find challenges.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
I don't recall ever feeling nervous about skiing, but I don't ski off piste (not insured).

Was slightly unnerved last season when I lost the piste entirely in cloud and falling snow and all I could see was white, up, down and sideways, with nobody else around at all. Something that had never happened before in many years of skiing. I relocated the piste using the sound of a lift but I could also have retraced my tracks, so no real issue.

I've never been frightened by steepness but I've been apprehensive on "Santons" surrounded by hordes of other barely in control skiers in close proximity.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, I was wondering what level you would put me at? Personally I would say I am an 8 but when I'm not skiing very well a level 7. I know I still have some bad habits occasionally sitting back etc, I have been skiing 3 weeks and a bit on the dry slope too. In the video I am trying to carve, however sadly I could not get any decent footage that shows my ability on moguls or in powder. I do use a pole plant to initiate my turn, however in these videos i was trying to focus on my carving. I can ski moguls comfortably but on icy blacks I find it more difficult and lose my style. I was wondering whether I should be pole planting when doing carve turns?

Here is the link:
http://youtube.com/v/CtqZqi9yzD8&feature=youtu.be

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks Euan Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Very nice indeed for 3 weeks. I've been skiing around 10 times that and I suspect there isn't a whole lot between us Toofy Grin I usually claim 7.5...Are you a teenager by any chance? Only kids learn that fast ime NehNeh

FWIW You don't look to me like you are carving the start of the turn, I can see a distinct step with the inside ski going on, I think it might be the pole plant throwing you off though as that will make it hard to be smooth at high speed, long radius, and you do clearly have a good feel for your edges.

On the witless sub-thread, it's just a mind/vocab thing right? I don't get scared witless, I get nervous or angry or grumpy or focused. Even doing something like a high zipline (I've got a fairly serious fear of heights going on) I wouldn't say scared witless, for me the fear feels like a physical weakness around the knees/breathing, but not in my mind which is more going "dammit get a grip woman, you chose to come up here, it looks easiest that way, go do that". I'd bet it's a very similar same state someone else might call scared witless and someone else might call excitement...

aj xx
latest report
Thanks! Yes, I'm 14.
ski holidays
a.j., so what do you think my next stage of progression is?
snow report
EuanFraser, you should be very proud of yourself young man to ski like that after 3 weeks.
latest report
EuanFraser, people like me could easily go off people like you wink
snow report
Thanks guys Smile Megamum, dode,
ski holidays
I wish I could have some videos of moguls and powder!
ski holidays
I am EuanFrasers' brother- we are quite competitive so I guess that helps a bit- and we ski with quite a strong group of skiers so that probably pushes us a bit too! He reckons we ski quite similarly but I am not sure. Just out of interest where would you put me? I similarly think I am probably an eight on a good day and seven on a bad. I have a couple of videos, but I didn't ski them hugely well- partially because later I out that my boots where in walk mode rolling eyes Just a similar question, should I be pole planting when trying carving turns- Our dad told us we shouldn't really but I am not sure. I have a bit of a problem, like Euan, if occasionally sitting back which isn't ideal. Rob on here has given some really good tips to improve which I will be attempting at the dry slope asap!
Here is my link haha Smile
http://youtube.com/v/qBaeOMk-19A&feature=youtu.be
Jack Smile Very Happy
snow conditions
Bloody kids...................................
snow conditions
Like I said, you can go off some folks quite easily wink
latest report
Oh, yes, and where on earth do you find pistes that are that empty!!!?
ski holidays
Megamum, the pistes were more often than not as empty as that in the Dolomites last week.... Very Happy
snow conditions
dode, lovely! I think my skiing would improve on pistes that empty!! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were in the Porte du solei area. Those clips were from prodains Smile Very Happy
ski holidays
Would you say that my brother and I were the same level then?
ski holidays
EuanFraser, I haven't seen the clips but he is better than you. Fraternal fight!
snow report
very similar - think you are getting slightly more angulation and achieving slightly more complete rounded carves (arcs) but not much in it
On pole planting - not strictly necessary with carved turns. I tend to use a light pole plant (more touch really) to help with timing when carving shorter turns but don't on big fast GS turns. In your vids you are skiing sort of "in between" radius (using moderate angulation on what I suspect are quite short radius skis) - don't actually NEED pole plants for those though you're Dad may be sensible in suggesting you practice planting on thsoe turns too.
snow conditions
BTW - good skiing!
ski holidays
So are we both at the same level?
snow report
Thanks btw guys!
ski holidays
EuanFraser, is sibling rivalry what this is all about?! wink
snow report
Ahah a bit Pedantica, Smile
snow report
EuanFraser, Laughing
ski holidays
So? Smile are we?Pedantica,
snow conditions
Quote:

Oh, yes, and where on earth do you find pistes that are that empty!!!?

Le Tour, last week - lots of empty emptyness.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy