Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is my Skiing Level?

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, OK, it's just that sometimes it comes across that if you struggle with one of bumps/steeps/icy/variables then the implication (or maybe just my inference) is that you must be rather rubbish at them all. Maybe you just need to use the word "or" instead of "and" Wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meh, No offence taken, I know where you are coming from. I was just making the point that video always makes the terrain and speed look easier than it was .... snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
.....video always makes the terrain and speed look easier than it was .... snowHead snowHead

+1 and GW (it looks like him) is a damn solid (and flexible) bumps skier.

I am sure I would have been spat out of the line at least once in that bumps run!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Touchguru, yup thats him and he is easily > L4 bumps standard.. trying to get some decent L3/L4 shorts video but all the stuff I have is bad vis any clips from training ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, I have some from my L2, one guy cruised the course, so maybe good enough standard for your clips?? I can dropbox it over if you wish??
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, cool will have a look but if he is just a scumbag L2 who cant work in France should we highlight him as an Expert Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
Touchguru, yup thats him and he is easily > L4 bumps standard.. trying to get some decent L3/L4 shorts video but all the stuff I have is bad vis any clips from training ?

To be fair, he looked L4 bumps standard 2 years ago!

Got one of me (including recovery!! Smile ) from the L3 training that you might feel like using. Didn't get any footage of me from the actual tech though unfortunately. Will send you a Youtube link via PM shortly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lovely skiing in that vid, very aspirational. I'm nowhere even close! Level 8 on a good day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice videos, I love the outtakes, I think that really shows the skiers skill Smile

I think picking levels is hard as it is asking people to rate themselves which is always going to be subjective and I think the IO scale is one of the better ones I have seen. I haven't actually found any problem with levels in courses I have done when I've had a good instructor, the difference between groups can also be partly mental as well, so 2 groups might cover similar terrain and need to work on similar skills but one group might be a little slower and more tentative while the other is a bit faster and more aggressive. In that sort of instance where you rate yourself is probably going to be about right as if you think you ski better you will end up with a group of people who think similarly and if you think you struggle somewhere you will end up with a group with similar confidence issues that might be useful for you all to work on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
meh, horrible for instance and he was really charging it , but looks easy..

Surely another criterium? "Makes it look easy" snowHead some very lovely skiing on that.

It does occur to me that at some point - 10, 11? It becomes impossible to self gauge - someone else needs to tell you what level you are?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
a few changes then... how about...

You can adjust your technique to suit all snow conditions and are relaxed and comfortable in difficult off piste terrain and at high speeds on piste. When things go wrong you are able to recover without losing your rhythm and you make skiing in tough conditions look easy. You are humble and know that there is loads more to learn and can feel differences between skis and how they are tuned. You are getting close to being able to ski well whatever the conditions confidently and with ease. Instructors may be at L3 level and perhaps training for ISTD technical exams and the Euro Speed Test. 
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, wish I could that, sadly I never will........ Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
meh, horrible for instance and he was really charging it , but looks easy..

Surely another criterium? "Makes it look easy" snowHead some very lovely skiing on that.

It does occur to me that at some point - 10, 11? It becomes impossible to self gauge - someone else needs to tell you what level you are?

You can still self gauge I think you just have to honestly compare yourself to the best people skiing the terrain you are skiing (or stepping up the terrain until you have some better people to assess against). Plus video obviously. I've self gauged against 13s and know how far behind I am.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big leap from 8 to 9 lookign at it I would say 8 but 9 is miles away
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, i am not so sure... But whatever, the scale doesn't go up to 14.
snow report
Mrs graz skis steeps and bumps and all sorts of nastiness like that. She never looks like she's lost any control. Makes me proud! Me, a solid 9 with the aim of keeping improving.

Strangely, although I'm now past 40, I've never skied better. I think it's due to slowing down a bit and actually listening to my wife's comments and suggestions (and ditching the evil skis which my body's no longer capable of dealing with!)
latest report
fatbob wrote:
I've self gauged against 13s and know how far behind I am.

it's not really a linear scale, i guess. also, pretty much any 1 can get to 4 with a bit of application and some lessons. you need some genuine talent and a lot of practice to progress from 10ish (where I self-assess myself) to an 11, let alone a 13
latest report
Arno, no definitely not linear and the further you get the longer it takes to make improvements... Athleticism, fitness, commitment, self belief and talent starts to become key factors the further along the path you go in my view.
snow report
Wow - some excellent skiing in those videos.

On those, and your descriptions, I'm a level 9-10; but the jump to an 11 seems significant!
snow conditions
I like 11 - it's the beginning level of a quaility good skier for me. You need to have natural talent, to be doing seasons and you need to be strong and fit to ski like that constantly.
snow report
skimottaret, Sorry - just saw your post above - fully agree.

You're almost getting to the 10,000 hours 'Outliers' thing.

You also need excellent coaches/instructors/peers around you.
snow conditions
skimottaret, sorry, I'm sure you've been asked a million times already… do you find most people are accurate when they self-assess using your (very helpful) scale, up to level 10? (I'm not up to level 10 btw…… I left that behind a long time ago obviously wink)
snow report
miranda, pretty much, More under egg themselves ( the number of advanced skiers who are still reluctant to say that they are anything but good old brit intermediates gets tiresome at times) and the odd ones who have a mental image of themselves skiing in Alaska perhaps over do it a bit but for the most part it works pretty well.... wink

AsterixTG, yeah for sure, to get to the upper levels of any sport you need good coaching and commitment to training...

I have changed the snowy bumps sequence as I think that is a solid level 12 performance and replaced..
ski holidays
skimottaret, just pinged you links to some footage...perhaps not as good as I remembered on the shorts...
latest report
skimottaret, like Harry Flashman, i would put myself at 9.5.
But i am definitely ever-so-humble
Does that bump me up to eleven? Smile
snow report
even reading that chart I have no idea how bad or good I am. I ski the fall line even on steep bumpy blacks. Can ski off piste alright and can carve on piste well. My technique is most likely rubbish though as I only had lessons up to about 3 weeks. Would probably describe my skiing style as aggressive
snow conditions
dan100 wrote:
Big leap from 8 to 9 lookign at it I would say 8 but 9 is miles away
Agreed. Am dubious of ever getting there.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Arno, no definitely not linear and the further you get the longer it takes to make improvements... Athleticism, fitness, commitment, self belief and talent starts to become key factors the further along the path you go in my view.

some people (me) also turn into lazy pleasure seekers and avoid ski conditions they don't enjoy or are cr@p at!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I defo know I am a mere 7. I would like to be an 8 but will never get there. I am kind of content to be a 7, I was too old when I started to be any else Sad
snow report
Arno, snap Smile
enfilade, did you watch the video clips? Most that struggle with the words see themselves clearly when watching others
snow conditions
NE1 wrote:
I defo know I am a mere 7. I would like to be an 8 but will never get there. I am kind of content to be a 7, I was too old when I started to be any else Sad

When did you start?
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Arno, snap Smile
enfilade, did you watch the video clips? Most that struggle with the words see themselves clearly when watching others

Oops, didn't see those. Still find it hard to judge as I have never actually seen myself on video but I would guess an 8 then but I could be way off.
latest report
AsterixTG wrote:
NE1 wrote:

When did you start?

I was 34, already had had 2 back injuries and a subsequent life in the NHS has knackered all but my left elbow rolling eyes
snow conditions
NE1 wrote:
AsterixTG wrote:
NE1 wrote:

When did you start?

I was 34, already had had 2 back injuries and a subsequent life in the NHS has knackered all but my left elbow rolling eyes

I was going to sympathize with you, by saying that I was in the same situation. As I actually started skiing at 58, I don't think you would have appreciated that though! Laughing

However, level 7 still gets me skiing with enjoyment pretty much wherever I choose to be on the mountain snowHead
snow report
NE1, so, let's get that left elbow up to 11! Very Happy
latest report
It's a good vid. Nice to watch and I like the level too. I can ski like some of those clips when I'm skiing well. I couldn't look quite that smooth in those bumps and having never raced I'd be nothing like as good through those gates. I'd self assessed as somewhere between 10 and 11 on your scale in the past. Probably means 10 although your comments on cutting the bumps plus watching the outtakes (even really god skiers don't ski at the level in the video constantly) boosts my morale a bit Little Angel
snow report
Defo not linear

If 13 is world class, 12 is Europa Cup upwards or possibly your local king of the hill.
11 is your 100 day plus super local or a 12 who's got older. If you're a non seasonaire than 10 is the realistic peak of your ambition
snow report
fatbob wrote:
If you're a non seasonaire than 10 is the realistic peak of your ambition

Really??!!! Smile
snow report
Touchguru wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
.....video always makes the terrain and speed look easier than it was .... snowHead snowHead

I'll say! He's been shadowing my training group this week and if anything is even more awesome in the bumps than he was when I skied with him last season. For that strand he defines "inspirational" for me.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Touchguru wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

I'll say! He's been shadowing my training group this week and if anything is even more awesome in the bumps than he was when I skied with him last season. For that strand he defines "inspirational" for me.

It is how his upper body stays rock solid while his lower body seems to mould itself to the terrain! Inspirational indeed!

Hope all is going really well in the training rob@rar
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy