Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is my Skiing Level?

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, I also find the conditions play a major part in how we all ski, the little video below was me following a mate, who lives in St Foy, down the race track it was late afternoon, 20 degrees and super slush conditions, most people had given up and gone to the bar, as you can tell by the amount of people on the run!

At some stages of the run the speed aspect in these conditions was a major worry for me not too much fear but concern and apprehension, even tho I have skied it much faster on better snow, spot the interesting turn to reduce my speed, it felt like turning on water!!!!!!

http://youtube.com/v/MYX7hmoj59g
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
livetoski wrote:
rob@rar, I also find the conditions play a major part in how we all ski,
Absolutely. What are "the worst conditions we can make our best turns in" is a good indication of where our technique begins to fail and our survival skiing kicks in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry for the bump but we have completely redone our levels guide to include video at each level to compliment the text version. As there were a lot of good comments on this thread I thought I would post it here for review
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, Already bumped in the other thread wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The level 1 2 and 3 sections and 11,12 13 are almost unreadable when I mouseover. The light-grey text on the bluish background isn't a good combination. The rest, with black which mousovers to white is far more readable.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
feef, thanks that is on the fix list...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, Hi. I really like your chart and the way the videos demonstrate each bit of the descriptions, and the distinctions between one level and the next. One very minor point: after I had looked at the Level 7 video, the three that popped up at the end, presumably as suggestions of things I might like to look at next, were for Levels 4, 8 and 10. Could you make it so that the three always included the two either side of the one you'd just looked at (i.e. 6 and 8 in my case), to make it easier either to step through the levels one by one or to confirm your decision about your own skiing? (I don't know if this is something that you can fix, or whether it's something that happens automatically.)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowmum123, good comment thanks I hadnt appreciated it was random like that, looking deeper I have some control over this but limited

as a test on Level 5 have added links to the L4 and L6 videos, however this takes you out of the pop up window and I am not sure that is what I want to do....

on L4 have deleted the whats next option..

what works better for you ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, If you've got a Plus account you can choose three videos to show in the Outro settings of the Embed tab when editing the Settings of the video. You can also put custom text and other stuff like that.

Edit: Looks like you found it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, For me, the new Level 5 one - with links to 4 and 6 - worked very well. If you can choose up to three videos at 'what next?', you could add a third one, a couple of steps higher, as 'something to aspire to' - I'm not sure whether that would be encouraging or the opposite! When I looked at the Level 4 one, the pop-up window was still there at the end, but with nothing in it apart from the 'close' cross, which didn't seem very user friendly (and probably wasn't what it was intended to do). Another alternative (again, I don't know if it's something you can actually do) might be to go from the video straight back to the chart. What do other people think?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
By popular demand I have added video for Level 11 Expert Skier, awaiting the cries of you gotta be kidding me my 9 year old skis better than they do Toofy Grin

https://vimeo.com/88280166
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, ace! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You gotta be kidding....

can't get vimeo to work
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very nice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think one of my kids might be a level 12 Puzzled The rest of us are sadly limited to being single digits forever. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I did like the "You are getting close to being able to ski well whatever the conditions confidently and with ease..." section being in nice soft bumps at a low angle on a bluebird day though! Toofy Grin
snow report
meh, those were quite stiff bumps on a black gradient, icy underfoot with a nice dump on em, the light was good though ! as always the camera angle flatters the slope and makes things look easy... The opening and closing slope was proper icy for instance...
latest report
I have an idea,

Was going to ask what happens if you are level 12 at powder, 10 at racing, 8 at moguls and 2 at freestyle (most of us aren't te same at everything). Then I thought, once you get to a high standard, lessons ar either very hard to find or expensive as you often need a special instructor for private lessons!

How about a group of people get together and take turns to teach the rest of the group what they know about their strongest discipline. Could it work? how could it work? who would work it?
snow conditions
obviously just realise posting this on a guys thread for his business is the hight of insensitive... ignore if offended
ski holidays
skimottaret, I don't doubt it. I was just poking fun at the difference between the text and the visuals.
snow report
meh, There are still two levels above this in their scale, I think the video is fine.
snow report
Based on that I'm definitely not at Level 11. I may come somewhat close on my absolute best days. But not there - don't have the same technique even when I can handle tricky terrain at speed. Good vid, thanks.
ski holidays
actually, what am I talking about, looked at the website again and Level 10 describes me much better. I have more days at Level 9 than anywhere close to 11 Happy

Good aspirational Level 11 vid anyways!
latest report
meh, no worries mate, it is tough to capture the steepness and surface on video and unless you were there hard to know what is was like. The bit at :34 was horrible for instance and he was really charging it , but looks easy..
snow report
rjs, see the smiley at the end of the sentence and that my first comment was 'very nice'... rolling eyes
snow conditions
meh, to try to bring into context the conditions... (fyi at least 3 of the skiers have eurotest passes)

https://vimeo.com/88334672
snow report
skimottaret, are you grounded? I hope not!
ski holidays
Pedantica, yeah got smashed into on Friday and did my good leg this time.... My physio is getting rich even though he is on a two for one special on shins this week Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, oh dear, so sorry. I thought you'd managed to overcome that prang. Sad
snow conditions
that some aspirational skiing there and nice to see them getting in the back seat, on the inside ski etc on the outtakes Smile
snow conditions
Thanks for making those Scott - always good to have something to aspire to!

I think the outtakes just underline the skill of these skiers: "I can recover at speed without breaking rhythm when things go wrong"
ski holidays
I'm glad you've stopped putting in "bumpy, steep, icy" all in one breath. For instance, bumps don't freak me out (even if I may not ski them well, they rarely freak me out), whereas steep pitches do; but I'd rather ski a bumpy black/dark red than an icy red/purple. Technically I'm probably heading towards an 8 on your scale but my head is at a 6.5 on a good day and less on a bad one. So much depends on what else has been going on in life and how tired I am generically. The trouble with all these scales is they concentrate on physical ability and not the mental side; but I don't see how you can actually incorporate it into a bland scale.
latest report
kieranm, like it , might have to add that to the descriptions... fyi most but not all of the skiing would be at Level 4 BASI standards
ski holidays
skimottaret, some really nice recoveries there.
snow conditions
I don't think I'm gonna bother patching the Vimeo problem so I can continue to kid myself I'm definitely one louder at 11 (rather than my slight more realistic LCool
snow conditions
meh, The bumps guy (on your easy gradient Wink black run ) was sponsored and is very very good at freestyle, also managed a pass this year at the ET....
snow report
eng_ch, Havent stopped that but the further you progress in terms of level this becomes less an issue... we all tend to "like" some types of skiing and tend to be tentative in others.. The levels are always a best fit exercise and people will straddle levels depending on what they enjoy, their fitness levels, physiological state, quality of equipment, etc... We tend to fine tune the levels by asking a series of questions like "what are you most happiest skiing on" what type of skier are you (timid, aggressive etc)
ski holidays
livetoski, I was about to slate your mates' snowboarding, then I recognised him. So I can definitely state that he's rubbish! wink
latest report
recoveries .... one aspect that isnt talked about very often. No one skis perfectly all the time in all positions. There is obviously a optimum stance or place which is what we all try to maintain in all sports. The throwing "out of shape ", "off balance" and "off line" is inevitable. It is then the repetition of drills that instils into us where we should be and how it feels etc and if done enough and practised enough it becomes instinctual to get back where we should be. What makes the difference is attitude and in skiing case, fitness. We can all know how to do what and when but unless you are willing to "apply" it when needed then ...
The transistion from out of to in to "shape/ stance makes a big difference to your run..

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 6-03-14 14:26; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
skimottaret, nothing I've said is a criticism of the skiing or skiers just the video caption to the visuals (and even then it's meant in a light-hearted manner). Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy