Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I think some things are starting to click into place

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HH the other night.

OK, so the first run wasn't pretty (hadn't skied since April), but subsequent runs were better and after 3 or 4 times down I actually started to think about what I was doing. The uneven surface may not have helped, but by default I realised I was doing skiddy turns. Then I started to realise that I can now control what the skies do. I could now make Z turn into an S turn and when I did this I then had time (this is what I realised I need) to put the skis on their flats and then onto the opposite edges. Thus, I started to perform more of a carved turn (still not easy on that surface, but I could change the turn shape). I could also turn when I needed to (rather than when I wanted to), and I could vary the flex of each knee to carry each ski independantly over the respective lumps and bumps in the surface. I was also very much aware that I could also ski whilst looking down at the end of the slope rather than at the square foot of snow in front of my feet and therefore plan where I was going!!

I know all that sounds fairly straight forward stuff, but something must have happened to make me aware that I was actually doing it all. There were some runs down where I thought 'yes! that felt good'. I really liked this skis on edge, flat skis, skis on opposite edge - it actually works - I can do this now Very Happy I can only assume that something must have clicked during last season's holidays and lessons, but wonders will never cease - I might one day be able to ski to my own satisfaction - isn't that great? snowHead

What shall I work on this year? Well I still need to be able carve at speed down runs, (reds would be nice (Edit in light of rob@rar's comment Laughing) (I still seem to bottle out at a certain speed), and develop techniques for dealing with things like moguls, powder, and really steep bits, but I think it all starts to be within my grasp (which I would have never have thought would ever be the case)

So what are you all planning to work on this year?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-12-11 18:33; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
Well I still need to be able carve at speed down a red (I still seem to bottle out at a certain speed)
Me too, can only manage it if conditions are perfect and the red is not too steep wink

Being serious, continuing to work on the different ways of turning your skis will make you a more versatile skier who is happy on a wide range of slopes and different snow conditions. So practise twisting your skis to make very skiddy turns (but a smooth skid all the way round, not a quick pivot then a straight line). Then practise rolling from edge to edge without any twisting of the skis (but do this on greens and blues, very few people carve on reds and almost none on blacks). Then think about when you are pressing the ski against the snow - can you do it when you start the turn, by making a controlled and powerful extension of your outside leg. Those are the basics of skiing and if you can extend your skills in each of these areas you will then be able to blend them together in a limitless number of ways depending on what you are skiing and how you choose to ski it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Another way of looking at this is in terms of the outcome you get from the movements you are giving your skis - your turn shape and size.

Developing your ability to describe a range of turn shapes and sizes, working out what works best and where, will give you more control of speed and line and open up more of the mountain to play on.

Control or awareness of the amount of skid you are getting is important too. Sometimes skid is desirable and helpful, sometimes not.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, Sometimes as well we just have a breakthrough where we start to relax and have the time to feel what the ski is doing. I wouldn't worry about the speed issue, as you get better it will creep up without you noticing. I'd still advise (for people hesitant about gaining speed) to try letting go on a steep bit just above a longish flat section... you know you will be able to slow down on it so if you practice on that you will be more relaxed about getting faster over a few shallow turns.

Me... I want to learn more delicacy off piste so I don't knacker my legs out fighting the snow. Also intending to do a little more on GS skies and get icy turns under some form of control.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 22-12-11 23:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, I am working on trying to carve at least a decent portion of the turn on easy blue runs. Carving on reds is way beyond me at the moment. I was working a lot on lateral balance last year (javlin turns) and have got them reasonably nailed on easyish slopes - you might like to have a go at them, they're really good things to practice (on an easy blue wink ). then taking the lateral balance a step further, I got quite good at skiing on my left leg last season - could do big chunks of an easy blue on just the left leg, but was rubbish on the red. Been to get "balanced" etc at Bicester so am just waiting to practice doing the same thing on the right leg. So far, have done just a little skiing this season, wonderful snow but rubbish visibility so will wait for a bit of sun, and more evenly pisted runs, before trying to do much.

I would also like to do 360s - absolutely useless at the moment, but have Fastman's DVD exercises which lead you up to them. All those 9 year olds can do them.... so why not me?

On the carving, we have one lovely run, just right, and when newly pisted if you get up on the first lift you can just do one turn and then look back and see your tracks. Sad I very rarely see two really nice parallel carved tracks with no smearing. Hardly ever, in fact. So I shall try to improve my hit rate.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, My kids can do those 360's they can find a nice appropriate slope and sometimes with do 15-20 before they get to the bottom. I can't get my head around those - I can probably do a 360 - just not intentionally Laughing I've discovered tha the logistics of skiing on one leg involve engaging tummy muscles rob@rar, taught me that - the trouble is my tummy muscles are pretty non-existant and I don't think this helps me - I can just about manage a single turn on a blue on one leg, but I need to think about it. What I would like to do is to ski on some pistes this year that aren't rock hard - it's so much easier to start to practice drills on a half decent surface.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

What I would like to do is to ski on some pistes this year that aren't rock hard - it's so much easier to start to practice drills on a half decent surface.

Absolutely. It was lovely out this morning, even in poor visibility, with terrific snow.

My tummy muscles are pretty good - or at least, they were. I don't think I've ever started a ski season with so few prior exercises - if I hadn't already had a good few glasses of wine with neigbbours who came in for an apero, I'd so a few now.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy