Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tethers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was out today near Morillon and saw what seemed like a family group all of whom were wearing/using straps to tether their skis to their legs. The skis and bindings were modern enough with brakes fitted so was quite surprised to see them. Was wondering whether this was possibly a new hire option but thought that the idea was somewhat outdated and potentially unsafe.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basil, could they have been powder traces?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many people worry about losing skis in powder and so use traces or leashes. Many other people do not like either for various reasons. As in many things, there are pros and cons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just been skyping my mate in St Foy - he lost and found his ski's today, due to the deep snow (and that's just the piste!), so if they're cheap I may get some!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni, Not powder traces. The straps were connected to the binding and around the leg just below the knee.

Appreciate that with the powder about they might be worried about losing skis but they did not seem like off-pisters. Its been ages since I've seen them fitted.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Not powder traces. The straps were connected to the binding and around the leg just below the knee.
We once shared a snowcat with some Japanese guests - they all had powder traces matching that description - ie affixed to their legs just below the knee.

I couldn't find any powder traces in the UK on an online search - so Mrs MA & I made our own. They are lengths of coloured ribbon which we tie to the ski brakes then stuff up our trouser legs. Have skied with them fitted but are yet to fall in deep powder to test them out....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Touring bindings often have an option for leashes. Brakes (when fitted) are usually ineffective if the heels aren't clipped down. However, many choose not to use leashes as a) they're a faff and b) you definately don't want them in an avalanche.

I have used them in the past with a 'fuse' made out of a thick split ring but I've given up on them now. The worst thing is after a fall when the skis are chasing you down the hill!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis wrote:
Touring bindings often have an option for leashes. Brakes (when fitted) are usually ineffective if the heels aren't clipped down.

You would have the heel clipped down if you were skiing wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Basil wrote:
Was out today near Morillon and saw what seemed like a family group all of whom were wearing/using straps to tether their skis to their legs.

If the whole family had them it would normally show that that dad:
A] Likes buying new gear
B] He thinks it looks cool and gives a certain amount of kudos
C] Doesn’t understand what he’s doing.
D] He doesn’t know that leashes are for snowboards / touring skis / telemark

I have seen lots of people using snowboard leashes on skis. Let’s face it there is a tiny argument for using them on a snowboard – no brakes ya see – although as boards have a more solid attachment system many boarders don’t see the need for em (could also be as they obscure the view of the brown baggies wink ).
There are a number of reason not to attach them to a pair of ski;
If you fall over and your skis come off, you really don’t want 2 planks (with very shape edges) bouncing down next to you.
In deep snow, you will slide/move in a different manner to a pair of lose skis. Attaching these to your lower leg is just asking for breaks/strains that would not have happened without the leases.
As altis says above, in an avalanche your “really” don’t want your skis to tumbling around next to you.

Mind you, many people in ski resorts use the unsuitable/wrong gear. I remember a couple of weeks ago I was in Tignes and this large group of Brits ( Laughing Laughing Laughing ) turned up and a good percentage of em had huge fat skis (see A and B above) for skiing on the ice and hard pack of the grand mott. Oh yeah and many of this same group (??) were using/buying mojos instead of taking a lesson to correct balance problems.

As mountainaddict says, traces are the best bet in powder
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One day, I must post the video of a run away board I took in Fernie, featuring the most inaffectual superman-style dive to attempt to stop it ever seen on camera...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, That was pretty much my view too but couldn't put it as eloquently.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Basil,
You do understand that by agreeing with me, you'll now be banned (for your own safety) from any snowHead bashes.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
You may wish to reconsider your acquiescence. A picture of yourself (and white dots, of course) may just be enough for you to be re-admited to the snowHead in-crowd – but I feel that it may be too late for just a set of dots to do the trick.
A good way forward would be to contact Admin for a buff(ing) and see if that will work in getting back into the set wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, Oh buggah, but then I never thought I was with the in-crowd anyway. By the way do those dot thingys come with leashes?.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basil wrote:
By the way do those dot thingys come with leashes?.

Not surprisingly the dotjo-3in1-stepin-pro-ski-a-matic does

They say a photograph never lies so here's the proof, if any were needed.

Think I'll have a chat to Admin about these - they have got to be a seller.
This time next year Rodney we'll be.......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been using powder ribbons for a few years now, about 6' long and bright orange that tie onto the rear binding and the rest stuffs up the trouser leg, I've been VERY VERY glad of them on a number of occasions in deep snow where that 2-3" of ribbon showing above the snow 20 yards from where I fell has turned a 3 hour search into a 30 second hike to an area where I thought, "I would never have thought of looking here!!!". Very easy to make and worth £????
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy