Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bought a Snowpulse. Any reason to still use the current backpack?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
On another thread, BobinCH said that everyone seems to have bought a Snowpulse, well I did too.

Now I'm wondering if I'll have any need for my standard backpack - a 27L Arva Rescuer which I just got this summer (and used in Chile), and which I really like (separate avy compartment with rip-open zip, back protection, great shape, great carrying system).

One week when I could still use it is with my parents in mid-Feb. Since my son is now ready to try easy offpiste, I'd carry the normal backpack around so I have it ready for any side piste trips, obviously in low risk conditions (though son has a transceiver).

But beyond that...will it just gather dust in a corner or is there still a good time and place to use it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
horizon, you could always take the canister out if you were certain of skiing low angle terrain. Makes the bag a bit lighter. But it's a comfortable bag and I don't really notice it when skiing when I wear it with just a shovel, probe, and a few bits in it.

One thing to check is that the nappy strap is comfortable before you head to a chairlift.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You may want to hold on to a lighter pack for big tours. This obviously depends on whether or not you do big tours and your personal views on the balance of the weight saved against the increased risk if avalanched.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will gather dust in a corner. You look too rad with a snowpulse to leave it at home. In addition to that we all know that the more battered your backpack looks, the more extreme you are - but to get there you need to wear the snowpulse pack every day (I heard it makes for a wonderful documents carrier for people working in finance).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have found that, without exception, these good quality ski touring style rucksacks outlast, by far, any standard 'everyday' rucksack I can chuck say £30 at anywhere else. I frequently use a rucksack when out for the day with my kids (zoo, beach, City trips etc) and, having worn through several £30 'everyday' rucksacks, I picked up a secondhand Ortovox ski touring rucksack from SH's for around the same cash a few years ago. It is quite simply 'the business' for everyday use - enough straps and padding to be really comfy when stuffed with flask, picnic and all the kids coats - it adjusts to sit nicely on my hips and the chest strap just gives a bit more support when I stuff it full of heavy drinks. I also use it for fell walking when we go on holiday. I'm that pleased with it that I've recently bought a slightly larger similar pack for the same purpose - as the kids get larger so does their gear!!

Therefore if you have a non-skiing use for a rucksack I'd say keep it, and remove the technical gubbins and use it as a standard pack - I reckon it will knock ten skittles out of any basic rucksack on the market for that purpose as the ones I've got do!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy