Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing when pregnant

Poster: A snowHead
baby is very well protected - hence doctors giving the all clear? Not sure I would do it - but then some mothers are more overly concerned...which isnt necessarily a good thing. Mums to be would have to have a week indoors if they lived around me at the minute - roads and pavements are sheet ice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My wife and I had this debate when we went skiing
And she was pregnant, she loves skiing more than me and she agonised over having a go, in the end because we had already had a eptopic she decided the risk was to great, the overriding factor was not that she would take risks and fall over, but more to don with the others around her, especially if she skied the easier slopes where most beginners are, daughter now 5 and looking forward to her next ski holiday

It was a tough decision and not her most favourite ski holiday by a mile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio,I think it depends on your situation and that is why I gave that answer. If you or your partner had recently lost a child, had a still birth or a miscarriage. I think you might be very carful what you do when you are pregnant. If you think that makes me a idiot then so be it. But I think that says something about you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skid & slide, think he's just a bit tetchy from previous threads on this subject...to be fair though you didnt explain your thoughts to that extent in your previous post so it did sound rather judgemental rather than giving a reasoned contribution
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, Yes sorry about that, and after reading the first post again maybe I should not of posted.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skid & slide, no, you are entitled to your opinion and you should always post it!!!! Just makes it easier if its a balanced post - you'll hopefully get less grief that way Laughing Im fairly cool about this stuff but there are some proper shoot to kill posters on here Laughing Though you were coming to the same conclusion in both posts, the second was far better as you were qualifying your opinion...rather than just (it could be read) appearing to imply that Mums that skied didnt give a shoite whether their babies lived or died
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tam80, my missus did it (once or twice a week) with no problems up to about 20 weeks - which co-incided with season wind-down anyways. She did stick to mellow stuff and certainly took it easier than normal (gentle run or two, hot chocolate and a natter, sit out on the balcony, another gentle run or two, etc). She did get a bit nervy a couple of times on busier days when others were zipping by her a bit closer than she'd like - certainly that was my main worry - some other clown wiping out into her.
I dont remember her having any discomfort, due to being out there or while out there (i mean how hard can it be?? wink), though for sure there were a few days where she intended going out but cried off due to being knackered or whatever

Today, when i got back from skiing the now 2.5 yr old bundle of those days asked me if i had been to the tippy-top of the the hill ski-yin, and gave me a hard time for not taking him!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It implies that the skiing mother-to-be values a week's skiing over and above the life of her child. Which is preposterous.

It is indeed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TBH I think getting a Mum out of London and into the fresh mountain air for a week is the only persuasion id need!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, wrote
Quote:

Her mum skied when she was 7 weeks pregnant with her, and had twins!

Blimey! Was that as a direct result of skiing whilst pregnant??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's very much a case of "use your loaf" isn't it?

I'm 31+ weeks pregnant and I'd happily ski TODAY (Tuesday) in Norway or a nice, quiet Canadian resort.

I would not however roll in to France or Austria this weekend alongside 1000s upon 1000s of other numpties.

I live in The Netherlands and I've got a greater chance of falling down our deathtrap stairs than falling over on piste.

I have had a miscarriage and it had bug all to do with any sporting activities I may have partaken in.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My wife skied when pregnant with two of ours. I don't remember her takling it easy either. I probably wouldn't advise it if you're a beginner and going to be falling a lot but can't see how its much more dangerous to an unborn child than most other things.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I understand everyones views here, but the views are my views and I am skiing - Nothing like a bit of adrenaline.... I was here to get advice from other pregant skiiers and how they feel/felt.

Also I travel in and out of London everyday and I can promise you, the bashes I get with bags and back bottoms trying to squeeze on the tube will be nothing compared with the slopes and if I do fall it will be soft powered snow, not a hard concrete pavement!

Thanks again for everyones views..... Its about health and getting out there and not sitting on my back bottom, like most people do when pregnant Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tam80, when I drove my 7 month pregnant (not skiing, with great regret....) daughter from Geneva last Christmas, we stopped 4 times for her to pee en route. the last two were in a snowy layby at 11 pm. She was glad of the dark.... wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So were the other motorists..... probably, no offence meant...!!
snow report
Quote:

So were the other motorists..... probably, no offence meant...!!

indeed, but there weren't many around at that time of night. wink she has big problems about needing to wee every two minutes. Had to knock on a stranger's door when out with her 22 month old the other day. she thought she had seen someone with little kids going in there, who would understand. They have since become good friends!
latest report
tam80, it sounds as though you are very active anyway, but well worth keeping everything exercised - including muscles other than you usually use - before you go skiing. Maybe abductors, if you ride a lot, which will give you v strong adductors I guess. I did a lot of focussed exercises through my windsurfing pregnancy, and afterwards, and though it was the third pregnancy I was back to my original size and shape (albeit with some more stretch marks - I have very big babies) not many months afterwards. It's worth getting a book specific to pregnancy and afterwards - some stuff is contra-indicated the wrong abs exercises straight after delivery can give you a permanent bulge if you're not careful.

Hope you continue to feel really good and enjoy the skiing. You're right that a lot of people sit on their bottoms too much, though that's not by any means confined to pregnant women!
ski holidays
tam80, I skied pregnant three times with my two sons. I was very well, quite fit and a competent skier and it never occurred to me not to ski. Yes, I, and my husband, kept a careful lookout for other skiers, but other than that I just skied everywhere. I don't remember feeling any more tired than usual, but I do remember feeling exceptionally well at the end of each holiday. Go for it, and have fun! Very Happy
snow report
There are risks.

Not in skiing; skiing is fine.

But.. if you fall, well falling's probably OK as well. As long as you don't injure yourself (or, and this is possibly the point, as long as the person doing a zillion miles an-out-of-control-hour who has just wiped you out hasn't injured you), and if you do, the chances are it will be a minor injury with no lasting harm to yourself or baby. But if it's not a minor injury, then things get a bit more interesting. Pre-hospital trauma care is more difficult, transport is more difficult, anaesthetic is more difficult.

It all depends on your attitude to risk. I wouldn't tell you that you can or cannot, or should not ski. You are an adult, and can make your own mind up. My colleagues will be there if pieces need to be picked up.
ski holidays
Thats Doctor - I am skiing in a group.... two either side one front and one behind, therefore, they will get hit first not me Very Happy - Off to St Anton on Christmas Eve.... Wooohooo!!

See anyone who is also going!
snow conditions
This post is my own opinion.

The risk of sustaining an injury requiring medical treatment whilst skiing is roughly 1 per 1000 days skiing. It is really very low risk.

I'm sure most pregnant women partake in more risky activities on a daily basis.
latest report
I ended up skiing while pregnant but was only 3-4 weeks and didnt know it. I also drunk quite a bit (it was over new year as well)

First time around I had been planning on booking a holiday for the march (as long as my acl-r rehab went well enough) but the doctor told me i shouldnt ski while pregnant. Must admit I am A little miffed to discover that my gp was given duff information. Saying that given I was recovering from an ACL reconstruction and your body start generating Relaxin which will start to loosen your joints it was almost certainly the right call for me then. The last thing I would have wanted was to go through the surgery again
snow conditions
The injury rate for skiers is about 1-2 per 1000 skiing days, and of those injuries the majority are knee injuries, followed by head and face, shoulders, legs, wrists, thumbs. Abdominal and pelvic trauma really doesn't figure in skiing accidents, so your risk of causing injury to your unborn baby is indeed very small.

Obviously sensible advice is to do some pre-ski conditioning, and avoid alcohol whilst skiing (I hope you'd be avoiding it in pregnancy anyway), and ski sensibly - if you haven't tried that 10ft jump before, now is not the time to try it!

Oh, and take your antenatal vitamin D supplements, because going in the sun with your sunscreen on isn't going to help you make any.
snow report
Ski Tyke wrote:
jbob, wrote
Quote:

Her mum skied when she was 7 weeks pregnant with her, and had twins!

Blimey! Was that as a direct result of skiing whilst pregnant??

Mrs Higs skied in the first couple of weeks and again in wk12.
We went for scan the day after we got back to be told it was triplets.
Be warned.

Higlets, now aged 8, are off to Alpe d'Huez tomorrow (and taking us with them). They like skiing fast, bumps and off-piste.
ski holidays
tam80, Mrs Ed skied whilst pregnant and whilst breast feeding (not simultaneously) but not as vigorously as when not pregnant.

Go on holiday, eat food cooked by someone else, relax, spend time with Mr Tam 80 (or Mrs Tam80) have a laugh, do some excercise.

When the nipper comes along take them too.

Best of luck. If you want to- do it.

I'm not sure if asking for other peoples opinion about this sort of thing is a good idea mind you. There are always pompous twits who will tell you how to live your life. If you let them their naysaying words might lurk in your head and make you uncomfortable.
ski holidays
ed123, she didn't ask for an opinion, she asked for advice an how people in the same situation felt when skiing wink
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, damn you are right!

As Mrs Eds husband it felt great to be skiing with Mrs Ed-
snow report
ed123, well said! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, I am never tetchy, ever.

EVER.

OK?
ski holidays
I am a cyclist, and I recently read a chapter in a book about cycling whilst pregnant. It suggested that one of the things you need to be watchful of when exercising during pregnancy is your body temperature - don't get too hot!
latest report
Jennifer, it sounds as though you've been reading the chapter entitled 'pregnancy for morons written by the non-pregnant'.

I'm not meaning to be (too) rude, but statements such as that are simply illogical. Too hot? What about the wimmins in the Sahara? I gave birth in 39 degree heat, what is considered 'too hot'? What do you do when you're cycling and you get hot and thirsty? Do you stop and get a cool drink or do you continue peddling until you fall to the road dehydration and exhausted?

Skiing, in general, tends to be carried out in cooler climates... I've yet to meet an expert Yishram (?) Slalom racer...
latest report
Alexandra, "pregnancy for morons written by the non-pregnant" is a very popular choice in the UK and was recently serialised in the Daily Mail.
snow conditions
I presumed it was referring to the body's core temperature, rather than how hot or cold it is outside.

But, as a moron, I could be wrong.
snow report
just back from Tignes with our daughter who was 18 weeks pregnant. She skied every day, (is a very good skier) but she stayed on piste, and listened to her body. Having said that, she outskied me most days.
She has had her 20 week scan yesterday and all is fine. The conditions in Tignes were not great when we were there, so everyone slowed down, which was good Very Happy Only problen was that her sallopettes were tight at the end of the day. We noticed she had lots of early nights too!
She has just departed for Villars for a short break....
snow report
Alexandra, baby No 2 i think? congrats.
snow conditions
As previously posted my wife skied during both her pregnancies but took it easy. It is difficult to see how a competent skier skiing well within their limits is significantly increasing the risks of pregnancy, if they are otherwis reasonably well. Though I can understand why people don't want to ski during pregnancy and why it would be inadvisable if you were getting significant complications.
The to me illogical argument is that you shouldn't ski in case some out of control idiot bumps into you. Most skiers will take their young children skiing who will be far less visible, unpredictable in their progress and less aware when learning than a pregnant mum. The child is at far greater risk from the out of control idiot when they are learning than ever they are in utero.
snow report
I will admit, this is hobson's choice. Just been away with daughter and husband. Holiday booked before happy event announced. She skied at 18 weeks, we were biting our fingernails. The weather was perfect (for us) Low vis and heavy snow. This slowed everyone down.The only problem was planning the trips around the loos. Make sure you have plenty of change in the Espase Killy!! She enjoyed the holiday very much, lots of early nights and took it easy. Upon return has had her 20 week scan, and the alien is just fine. She is away for the new year at Villars repeating the experience......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy