Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thigh burn and a Ski Mojo

Poster: A snowHead
I'm an intermediate skier and every time I Ski I suffer from terrible thigh burn after a few minutes going downhill. so I've been trying to perfect my technique at Hemel for my forthcoming trip with Snoworks, I know it'll be tough so I have to resolve this long standing issue with thigh burn. I realise leaning further forward is a step in resolving this. Today I was thinking that perhaps my 120 boots were too stiff and causing the burn or could I use a Ski Mojo to relieve the burn and improve my posture at the same time. I would really appreciate any advice before I shell out 300 squid.

Paul
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe the coaching you'll get with Snoworks will help the problem? You're right to say that thigh burn is often the result of poor balance, and I'm sure the Snoworks guys will spot this instantly if you have need to address it. Perhaps wait until you do the coaching week with them before looking at a hardware solution?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cyberil, my OH has a Mojo. He is an OAP with a heart condition and he finds it most useful for relieving general fatigue, and taking weight off knees. If the thigh burn, rather than general fatigue/knees is your key issue it could be that guided technique improvement would be worth trying first. Although the Mojo ads say it can put you into a good posture, I'm not 100% convinced about that; it's also possible to kind of "sit on the spring". Put it this way - very crude, but maybe it will illustrate the point. If I had to do a poo in the woods, my thigh muscles would complain mightily. It would be much easier with a ski Mojo. wink

It's not exactly "leaning forward" which is needed (I spent years trying to do that by bending from the waist and sticking my arms out, an unhelpful move which sticks your @rse backwards) but shifting your weight forward - you might find this thread useful. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80219#1927512

Why not post on there about how to get your centre of gravity forward/hips over feet. There are quite a few instructors who come on with useful ideas and suggestions, though there's no substitute for actually having someone look at you do it.

If you are doing a Snoworks course the trainers will soon spot the problem - maybe wait and see what they say and decide about a Mojo. When is the course?

Of course, even good skiing does work your quads - as well as other muscles. Are your legs fairly strong?

I think many of us find that as soon as we are skiing badly - defensively, in poor visibility, for example, our thighs start aching. I certainly do, and it's a good reminder to stand up over the feet and give them a break!

There are some good instructors at Hemel - did you take a lesson?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^ What he said. It's almost certainly something that a good instructor can fix, so give 'em the chance before shelling out!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cyberil, there's no getting away from it, but it's probably your technique. So your first port of call has to be to do the Snoworks course and ask them for advice.

The next most likely thing (and something to pursue once you've really given the technique some development) is that your equipment is out of kilter and causing problems. It could be boot stiffness. It could be that you're just out of fore-aft balance on the skis as everything is set up. The thing to do here is to contact CEM on the forum, who runs alignment clinics.

But, and it's a VERY BIG BUT, it's 95% likely to be your technique and 5% likely to be your equipment.

You should only consider "artificial help" if you've exhausted the other two options (or really do have knackered knees).

Lessons.

Equipment.

Artificial aids.

In that order.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Doesn't fitness play a part too?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
If I had to do a poo in the woods, my thigh muscles would complain mightily. It would be much easier with a ski Mojo.

Your words. She is like...like poetry!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B wrote:
Yes, but significantly less than effective technique, IMO.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
People either get thigh burn because they are sitting back and not flexing the ankles (120 boots are stiff for most people) and therefore bracing against the forces of the turn OR they get thigh burn because they are using the legs (and thighs effectively), i.e. through flexing and extending to manage the forces through the turn. In my experience 99% of people get thigh burn because of the formal.... it can be fixed through posture improvements and improving the movement patterns but thigh burn may still happen.... id spend the money on instruction anyday.....but then again I am an instructor paid to improve such 'complaints' on a regular basis. Technique, technique, technique usually is the first line of attack rather than gear, gear, gear.

Thats not to say the Mojo will not be for you in due course but see how you get on with Snoworks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
Colin B wrote:

And certainly not "after a few minutes" unless you are hideously unfit.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Yes, but significantly less than effective technique

Yup. My thighs ache a lot less now that I am an under-exercised old age pensioner who has taken a lot of very good ski lessons than when I was a fit young person. wink And 99% of the time when they DO start to ache I know exactly why - even though I can't always put it right (especially in bumpy snow).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Angus wrote:
People either get thigh burn because they are sitting back and not flexing the ankles (120 boots are stiff for most people) and therefore bracing against the forces of the turn OR they get thigh burn because they are using the legs (and thighs effectively)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Steve Angus - that is that nicest way of saying "it's skiing, your thighs are going to ache"... Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve

Thanks for your reply. You were my teacher at Hemel and TBH the best I ever had. Do you think I should get my boots cut to allow more flex? BTW loving your daily weather report on Val, classic. Also hoping to book Val later in the year and would like to d some more lessons through you.

Paul
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had exactly this problem. Get forward. You are leaning back. Your thighs will kill you for this after only an hour of relaxed skiing. I shifted forwards by just pushing my hands forward and tucking my backside in a bit, and the difference was night and day. Previously I had to come home after lunch to recover, and after 2 or 3 days on a trip would be in real pain, now I can ski all day on blues and reds, and with a couple of breaks get through a full day of hardcore stuff.

120 isn't exactly extreme when it comes to boots. I doubt they are the cause of burning thighs. If anything they should allow you to really get your weight forward without overflexing the boot.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
Colin B wrote:

If fitness was a factor I wouldn't be able to ski. It is only a factor after lunch Very Happy
ski holidays
technique, then equipment as others have talked about, 120 boots are not that stiff (depending on the model(yes i know they are all meant to be about the same)) your body weight also influences the choice of flex that a boot fitter will select for you.....

if it is the boot flex then the vast majority can be softened very imply, some by the turn of a screw or removal of a bolt... the other equipment issue is what FlyingStantoni alluded to, your position, this can be to do with the ramp angle inside the boot, the forward lean angle of the cuff of the boot or the delta angle of the binding on the ski all tipping you into a position tat you body doesn't like which you then fight against... for example, if the binding delta tips you up and too far forward the bodies natural reaction is to drop the hips back and the thighs will burn badly..... by stopping you being pitched too far forward you don't have the tendency to sit back to compensate and all may be good

what model boots are you using, and what ski /binding also? this will give an idea if it may be set up or more technique
latest report
cyberil, As an avid user of the Mojo I would back up what is said above. The mojo helps with my knee pain massively. Quality lessons at bashes helped with my thigh burn.
snow conditions
Quote:

The mojo helps with my knee pain massively

after a very little skiing yesterday my knees were gently hinting last night that I ought to think about getting one. We could have "his and hers" Mojos!
snow report
pam w, thread drift - I spent 3 hrs walkingaround in the cold with rugby yesterday and has significant ache last night. Thinking that massive weight loss and a fitness drive may be my only saviour now.
ski holidays
I have been known to moan about burning thighs. There are two main reasons why I suffer:

1) I'm skiing hard and I'm not fit enough
2) I'm skiing lazily and I'm not fit enough

I did once get some thigh burn as a result of equipment: too much heel lift in my touring boots left me overly pitched forward on flatter run outs, but that was easily fixed.
snow report
Quote:

Thinking that massive weight loss and a fitness drive may be my only saviour now.

Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing Maybe do the weight loss before the fitness drive, if you have any regard for your knees. wink
ski holidays
I'm not an expert skier by any means, but can add a bit from my own and my partner's experience to this question. I used to suffer terrible 'knees' and 'thighs' but was taught three or four years ago to use my weight to turn my skis, rather than my legs - in other words, lean forward more and let the skis make the turn for you. I don't do anything to get fit for skiing (I'm 59) but don't suffer any aches and pains to speak of during or after skiing any longer. My partner, who's 66, only started skiing four years ago. The first year he suffered terribly with his knees after only about an hour of skiing (his knees were often painful even for walking). I urged him to buy a Ski Mojo and he's never looked back! It's an amazing piece of kit (once you get used to getting it on and off and switching it on and off). This year in particular the Mojo has been worth it's weight in gold as he hurt his knee badly on 30th Jan, one week before our holiday in Alpe d'Huez (suspected cruciate ligament tear diagnosed at A&E, but after a visit to fracture clinic he was told it was a very bad strain). We really considered cancelling the holiday, but decided if he could just get there, he might improve enough over the week, with rest, to ski a little on the nursery slopes with the trusty Mojo. Although only able to walk with a limp, and still in pain when walking, we skied the Sarenne at the end of the week (first missing out the steep top bit), then next day went back and did the whole 16km. He is still in some discomfort with the knee, but if this isn't an endorsement of the Mojo I don't know what is. I completely agree with others on this thread that it's 'technique' first, but if this doesn't work or simply old age is taking its toll, the Mojo is an amazing invention and well worth every penny if you can't bear the idea of giving up skiing just because of knee pain. I hope this helps. Ski safe!
latest report
I spent far too long getting thigh burn through poor technique. Even though I knew what I was doing wrong it can still be quite hard to correct. It's quite frustrating trying to keep up with people that you know aren't as fit as you but failing!

I think I've finally cracked it but still suffer occasionally in poor light or tricky conditions.But now I try and just remember to "stand up" when it happens.

So - I'll second the get some good instruction but don't expect it to "click" instantly. Several BASI trainers didn't sort mine instantly! But I suspect they didn't have much to work with wink
snow report
One thing that might help (at least it helps me) is to make sure you can feel your shins leaning into the front of your boots - not very technical for all those amazing skiers out there, but it works for me!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
you might find this thread useful. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80219#1927512

Fantastic last post by Rob@rar in the link thread . now thats a thread stopper. lol NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy