Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming - suggestions & recommendations sought

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
sophster wrote:
Only one and a bit more sleeps until Schladming (the 'a bit' is because I'm on the 6am which means a very antisocially early check in). Excitement levels are just about at maximum.
6am from WHERE??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flying out from Manchester. Fortunately it's only a couple of junctions along the motorway for me so I don't have to be too awake to get there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had such a brilliant week in Schladming and am totally gutted to be back in cold soggy Manchester. It's probably the best week of skiing I've done and I certainly plan to come back again some time.

Highlights included the lovely super friendly staff at the hotel (The Kirchenwirt), discovering JagerTee, rediscovering my love of Almdudler, lots of snow, a few sunny days and a brilliant private ski lesson with Kersenia(?) from the Tritscher Ski School. I really feel like my skiing has improved lots (I feel pretty comfortable on steeper reds providing they aren't mega icy and my legs aren't totally jelly). It definitely feels like a good resort for progressing from blues to reds as lots of the runs are really wide and weren't busy where we were and if you chicken out there are gondalas to take you back to the bottom for a beer/hot chocolate while waiting for the rest of the group.

Out of the 4 main mountains I think I liked Hochwurzen the best as it was small and relaxed. If the weather had been better I would have liked to ski Reiteralm more but the day we went it was raining and by the time we'd got to it we were pretty cold, wet and miserable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One last thing I forgot to mention is that Schladming seems like a great place for those with bladder problems (not an issue for me as I seem to be part camel, but I know lots of people who are forever "I need a wee. I need a wee now") as there are toilets at about every chair and also at all the gondalas plus plenty in all the mountain bars we stopped at.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sophster, you didn't use this then

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunately not. I did try and persuade some of the others to use it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bump!
Any new/improved/better haunts to report?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My two favourite eating places are a little off the beaten track. The Talbachschenke is in my opinion the best place to eat in Schladming - consistently fantastic. The other place that is always excellent is Gasthof Zirngast, the campsite. Both are only 5 minutes walk from the centre and really, really good.
On the mountain the Schafalm and Onkel Willi's are excellent as has been said but I'd also recommend the Holzhackerstube on the bottom black section of the Planai. The food is good particularly the Rosti's and the Kaiserschmarrn has to be seen to be believed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Belated thanks to all who posted suggestions. In part due to my own stupidity & in part because of the weather I didn't get to ski all the pistes I wanted, eat in all the huts I wanted & worst of all drink in all the bars I wanted !!

Really enjoyed what I did do & shall definitely return for a second helping !

e.g., as an aged male with a penchant for a lunchtime beer, the sky toilets were regular features of my afternoons !!

ok, so back to life in the real world............ I shall not think of skiing..........I shall not dream of skiing ...............I'll.........
oh sod it !

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nickH, so still thinking of skiing, your top 3 establishments around Schladders?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent info on here. I've made my list to carry with me. I find paper much easier than technology on the mountain. Thank you. I know it's a few years old bt I'm sure it's still valid.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy