Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are EasyJet measuring Cabin Baggage More Closely?

Poster: A snowHead
Are EasyJet measuring cabin baggage more closely or can you still get on with a large bag?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They've always had a 'frame' at checkin that it must fit into. Never had anything that big so never used it. Why do you ask?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everone ignored this and took boot bags, 70lt packs, roller luggage etc I want to know if this year it has changed and they are being strict about size anyone?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It hasn't changed 'this' year, they have been using the "gauge" for several years. The approach you describe , sadly, i haven't seen for three or four years
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As long as you don't take the wee wee too much you should be fine. My standard hand luggage bag goes in with a bit of force, but I've never actually had it checked (with Easy or anyone else) - even with helmet clipped to it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Size is important to them. Weight, however, is not. So just pack all your small but heavy stuff in there - boots (but don't tell them) or anything else that weighs a load, as long as you can lift it into an overhead locker unassisted. I can probably lift 50kg into one of those things without too much sweat, so pretty much anything goes.

They have the same frame they always have to measure size of hand luggage. It is absolutely huge though, almost any sensible sized bag will go in it - we have a wheeled carry on that fits my boots and a bunch of other stuff besides, and it is inside the cage size.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would be very careful if doing that. Your hand luggage is part of your total weight allowance and I have had mine weighed with my main case quite often. It has always been weighed when the flight is full.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bar shaker, That's not what EJ's regs say:

Quote:
Each passenger may carry one item of hand baggage only, measuring a maximum 56 x 45 x 25cm (including wheels, pockets and handles).

No weight restriction applies however you must be able to place and retrieve the item of baggage safely in the overhead lockers without assistance.

Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing saying that hand luggage is part of whatever hold luggage allowance you've bought.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
bar shaker, That's not what EJ's regs say:

Quote:
Each passenger may carry one item of hand baggage only, measuring a maximum 56 x 45 x 25cm (including wheels, pockets and handles).

No weight restriction applies however you must be able to place and retrieve the item of baggage safely in the overhead lockers without assistance.

Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing saying that hand luggage is part of whatever hold luggage allowance you've bought.

There is nothing saying it isn't either.

The 20Kg includes all luggage, unless you pay for additional weight, or for sports equipment (when you get an extra 12 Kg).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, By that logic, if you don't pay for any hold luggage you can't take any cabin baggage either. That's clearly wrong!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Your hand luggage can weight whatever you can carry as long as it is one bag and fits inside the rack. They were very clear that it had to be one bag (including anything you bought in Duty Free) otherwise it was going in the hold on our flight to Geneva on Friday.

Can't complain at all as our snowboard bag weighed 25kg and they didnt bat an eyelid! (Think it is supposed to be 12kgs)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You are may be right and wrong, as I understand it. The 20kg is your total luggage allowance and there is no restriction on how much of that is taken up by hand luggage. You have this 20kg limit whether you pay to have a bag put in the hold or not.

On the basis that a 20kg bag of cement would not fit in the cage it would be hard to exceed the limit.

Either way, I have been asked to have my hand luggage weighed.

Nadenoodlee, A sports bag can weigh 32kg.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're worried about hand plus hold baggage exceeding 20 kg and you're travelling with a friend (or even the OH!) just check in your hold baggage whilst leaving your hand baggage with someone else. That way there is no opportunity for EJ to weigh it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For avoidance of doubt http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html. 20kg is the weight limit for your hold baggage. There is no mention weight for hand luggage, only size.

However here are the Carrier's Regulations on baggage which can be linked from above http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage, which says that their is no weight limit on hand baggage "within reasonable limits". Note also the paragraph indicating that there may be local variations in hand baggage regulations including between airports. Which could explain some of the confusion and variation in dealing with hand baggage at various airports.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Noticed last weekend at LGW that Easyjet had posters advertising the fact that your hand baggage has no weight restriction as long as it fits in the frame and you can actually lift it into overhead locker.
ski holidays
DJL, Nice idea but we flew with Easyjet last week and they put an Easyjet label on our hand luggage. However I don't know if anyone would have noticed if it had not been on when we got the the plane.
snow conditions
Snow Good, I don't think tag has any significance. The gate is full of people with hand baggage only who checked in on line and never went near the bag drop.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
They were very clear that it had to be one bag (including anything you bought in Duty Free) otherwise it was going in the hold on our flight to Geneva on Friday.

I can't agree on this.

I had a ding dong with EJ a few years ago regarding this. We were told to put our duty free bag inside the carry on luggage at Malaga. I argued with the jobsworth that duty free didn't count. But the jumped up dwarf wouldn't budge.

When we got back to the UK I contacted EJ's CS. They confirmed that duty free bought either in the shore based shop or on board does NOT have to be inside your carry on luggage. They would be advising their foreign carriers accordingly to stick by the rules.

I can, if you want, email you a copy of the official reply so you can shove it up the nose of any over zealous bus conductor in the future.

Regards
snow report
Battlezone, hmm, interesting. This is copied from Easyjet's Carrier Regulations (linked to in halfhand's post above).

Quote:
In addition to the “Standard Hand Baggage” you may also carry:
(a) one of the following: An overcoat; an umbrella, or a shawl; and
(b) one standard size carrier bag of goods purchased from the departure airport.
snow conditions
My understanding is that each passenger has a weight allowance of 20kg unless sports equipment is paid for which adds an extra 12kg.
This personal weight allowance is independent of whether you have booked a bag into the hold. Normally though it is simply assumed that without hold luggage, you wouldn't feasibly exceed the 20kg limit.

I have tested this understanding, successfully, in regard to booking only sports kit and no hold bag and taking a ski bag weighing in at ~30kg.

I would tend to assume that these weight limits extend to hand luggage ie. although it carries no weight limit in itself, I would still expect it to have to come under the 20kg overall personal allowance.
snow conditions
RachelQ, that is a good one to keep a hold of.

The correspondence that I got from EJ runs into about 3 pages of A4 before they would admit that it is OK to take duty free on board separately. Why they couldn't have just quoted the relevant section along with a link is beyond me.

Indecently when we travelled to GVA earlier this month we were queuing at the gate and an announcement came over for anyone willing to put their hand luggage in the hold could do so FOC as they realised that there wouldn't be enough room inside the cabin.

So, when it suits...
latest report
admin, no, it's only hold luggage that comes under the 20 (+12) allowance. 10Kg is used by some airlines as a limit for hand luggage in case it falls out of ther o/head locker and you're not wearing a helmet Toofy Grin , but if it's within size limits it's unlikely to be that heavy. Part of the reason is they are charged handling on hold but not hand luggage.
snow report
bar shaker, nope a sports bag can weigh 12kgs - taking your total allowance to 32kg (including 20kg hold luggage).
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, you are mistaken.
A sports bag can be up to 32kg.
The 20kg is a personal allowance independent of whether you book a bag into the hold.
See my post above.
snow report
Travelling BA tomorrow 23Kg hold + 2 items of hand luggage = No Barney Rubble. Cool
snow report
admin,
Quote:

My understanding is that each passenger has a weight allowance of 20kg unless sports equipment is paid for which adds an extra 12kg.
This personal weight allowance is independent of whether you have booked a bag into the hold.

From EJ site:
Baggage allowances
Baggage allowancesHold luggage - how much can you take?

Each passenger who pays for a hold bag can take up to 20kg of luggage.
snow report
admin, agree with martinm says. I think your experience coupled with others on this thread and personal experience clearly demonstrates that EJ staff in individual airports both in the UK and abroad don't understand their own carriers rules and are applying different interpretations to what seem clear enough guidelines. I take the stance:

Hand baggage only? - no weight limit provided I can lift the boogering case in to the overhead locker (never been on a ski trip with only hand baggage tho' Confused )

Checking in a bag in the hold? - 20kg limit on the checked in bag unless I'm prepared to pay xs baggage charge of £10 per kg (which I'm not). Retaining no weight limit on cabin baggage.

Checking a bag in the hold AND taking skis/board? - buy the sports equipment option for 'n' of our English pounds and get an extra 12kg.

Paraphrasing the T's & C's of EJ? - Priceless. Laughing
snow report
Battlezone, hold baggage FOC if the crew think that they can't fit all the hand baggage in the overhead lockers - so not necessarily "when it suits" but possibly. wink

Nade has interpreted correctly in my opinion.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 18-12-11 20:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
STOP!!! There's a sticky on this which clearly explains things! That stopped years of confusion Very Happy
snow conditions
Colin B, What let a sticky or the facts get in the way of a good grumble Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin . Unfortunately the confusion arises with the jobsworths at the airports who don't even know their own rules - and that's before you get to the independently employed security bods. Laughing Laughing
latest report
Let's not get into this again - there was a reeeeally long discussion about it before.

YOU CAN PAY FOR THE SPORTS EQUIPMENT WHICH ADDS 12kg TO YOUR ALLOWANCE OF 20kg = 32kg
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR HOLD BAGGAGE TOO (unless you book another bag into the hold which will not increase your weight allowance).

I have tested this, taking a sports bag of >30kg without booking hold baggage.
The bag was weighted in both directions.
I was not challenged in the UK.
I was challenged in GVA, showed them a print of this (see "Sports equipment – how does it work?") and they agreed that it was fine.

I know others who have done the same.
However, I do not advise you try it without a printed copy of that page since, as we know, there is no guarantee that the staff know the details of what's really allowed.
snow report
The conundrum in this is that yes, some of the airlines currently have a drive excess, and warning pop up int eh system if the bag is heavy and not tagged (trust me on this) the variable is that Easyjet invariably use a handling agent; That means that the checkin officer is an employee or Serviceair/Swissport etc: Most of the time you will not see an EJ employee until you get on the plane. So on balance it's hardly surprising that the people you meet at the airport don't know the rules.
ski holidays
bar shaker, I hope by now you have understood that , contrary to what you said, the 20kg is HOLD luggage as the rules state. Hand luggage is extra.
latest report
snowball, So Easyjet check in staff are wrong then?

Wouldn't be the first time of course, but I still haven't seen anything to suggest that the 20Kg means anything but all luggage.
snow report
snowball, yep am happy to have been corrected. Very Happy

The 32kg sports bag is old news. Am surprised that people still don't know about it. EJ's website is very clear.
ski holidays
my son flew out of Gatwick, 2 weeks ago for the season, he took.

Hand luggage, 10kg
1 x Hold Case 19.5kg
1 x Ski Bag 25kg

No problems smoothest check in process I have seen in years, plus the EJ staff where really nice

PS I dropped of the rest of his skis and gear on the way to the PSB rolling eyes
ski holidays
I did notice on the way over to the PSB that the gate staff at LGW (Easyjet LGW-GVA) were pulling over passengers with oversized hand luggage and labelling it up for the hold. Didn't see any scenes or any money changing hands, though.
ski holidays
Just to be clear, the 20kg allowance does not include hand luggage.
snow report
alex_heney, The rules talk about three topics. The first is hold luggage of which they say you can take 20kg. The second is sports equipment which they say increases your total by 12kg (you can transfer weight to the sports bag but not from the sports bag to the main bag). It then deals with a third heading which is hand luggage, which they say has only a size limit and no fixed weight limit.
I have never had the weight of my hand luggage added to my main bag (and I fly with them almost every year). I always take around 20kg in my main bag (often a shade over, but a shade is always OK in my experience). I always take a quite heavy (but legal size) piece of hand luggage. If you take an oversize hand luggage or a second piece of hand luggage then they will, of course, officially, put it in the hold and charge you. How strict they are about hand luggage size may of course have varied from time to time.
snow conditions
I'm not going to get into the hold luggage aspect, as 1) I can't be ar$ed and 2) it's been done to death already.

But going back to the OP, people don't like to pay for hold luggage. If you can get away with fitting a weeks worth of clean clothes into a carry on bag measuring a maximum of 56 x 45 x 25cm (including wheels, pockets and handles), then they will. If we have 156 people attempting to do so, then the overhead lockers fill up very quickly and we swiftly run out of space.
So the gate staff make announcements asking people to volunteer to put their bags into the hold 'for free'. (I yesterday had a flight BCN - LGW with 149 passengers and only 29 checked in bags to the hold! This immediately tells us that the hand baggage situation will be horrendous!)
If they get a 'suitable' amount of bags brought forward, then they are happy (someone, somewhere has decided what that will be.) If not, they will take the last x amount of trolley bags and place them into the hold anyway (for free Toofy Grin ). This is in addition to the oversized bags that they will charge for.

No weight restriction applies to hand luggage.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy