Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foward pressure and binding setup

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello been lurking about these forums for a while now and finally joined Smile

I know these kind of questions have been posted quite a bit before but I can't quite find the exact answer to my problem. I just bought some rossi S4s online with axial 120 bindings and they were mounted and setup by the shop aledgely. However, I'm 6ft1in, 70kgs and a reasonably good skier (ski all pistes no problem dabble a bit off piste and starting to go in the park more and more) and they set my DIN to 5! (boot sole 315mm if i remember rightly) whenever i've hired skis theyve always been more around 6.5 ish which seems to tie in more or less with the charts online. If everything else had seemed right I wouldnt have been too bothered about just adjusting the DIN to what I've had before but... then theres the forward pressure

So how do I set the forward pressure on the bindings? its got the little window with yellow and black in that changes as you change the length of the binding (which I believe is also the forward pressure adjustement). When they arrived they were just slightly out to get the boot in and the window was all yellow. When I move it to the right position the window is 4/5 yellow and 1/5 black. The manual for the binding says nothing about this it just says how the binding is put on and taken off and that you should have it set up by someone qualified (probably what you are all going to tell me to do lol).

So should the window be all black or all yellow or half and half, or is it good how it is??
Thanks for any info you can give me
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads ozbozz123.

DIN 5 sounds looks a little low if you look on the setting charts (www.dinsetting.com and www.terrymorse.com/ski/din.html), but not outrageously so as the charts would probably have you at DIN 6. My experience is that shops tend to be cautious on the basis that they're less likely to get into trouble by setting a binding too low, rather than "too high".

To be honest, there comes a point where you just have to get on some skis and bindings and see how they work for you. If I get a new set of skis and bindings I'll set with them on DIN 6 (I'm about 15kg heavier than you), ski on them cautiously and start cranking them up if I find that I'm pre-releasing too much.

You'll find that different bindings have different release characteristics - so the settings you're happy with for bindings with lots of elasticity will be different to those for bindings with low / no elasticity. At the end of the day, you just have to get on the skis and try them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*I have those bindings and the window should be yellow*. WRONG, I wouldn't think a tiny bit of black would matter but they are your legs. Most shops will look at them for you for cheap or free, if it's a small place you might ask them to show you how they adjust. What FlyingStantoni, said Re din.

Welcome to the mad house.

Edit for bad advice.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 18-12-11 17:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The change in DIN should not have an impact on the forward pressure of the binding. Forward pressure is normally dictated by the placment of the boot. So if the bindings are set to the right position for you boots the forward pressure shouldnt change if you adjust the DIN.

Spyderjon will be along shortly to correct all of the above Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ozbozz123 Try this rossi tech manual, shows correct forward pressure settings etc.

http://www.wsco.ca/tech_info/bindingtechmanual0708.pdf

Axial bindings have not changed since this manual was written

If you look at page 14 the yellow indicator should be half way up the window

adjust at your risk!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So assuming that the manuals right, how do I get the forward pressure to be right as well as the boot fitting in the binding? remount?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After someone on another forum failed to get the forward pressure right and no one could figure out why I have to ask: Do you have your boot in the binding when looking at the indicator?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I set the length with the boot out then putting it back in each time to get the length right, the forward pressure indicator i was then reading with the boot in but I just checked and it looks the same to me with the boot out (heel piece in boot-in position though, because otherwise you can't see the window)

was that the right way to do it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is one of the cases I'd like to see what is happening myself (so I could say "Oh, that IS weird, I have no idea what's going on Very Happy ) There should be something happening to forward pressure indicator when you put the boot in (boot out: no forward pressure, boot in: at least some forward pressure if it's not extremely loose). What you have been doing sounds like the right thing, adjust the length, click boot in, check forward pressure, take boot out, adjust again if needed. But you said you can't get the boot to fit in the binding? You have adjusted the binding that short without getting the forward pressure indicator to move when you click the boot in?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ozbozz123, See din setting, If you send me your Height, weight, age, shoe size and ability, I can look it up on my Salomon chart to give you an idea. by PM if you like?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
I have those bindings and the window should be yellow.....

Sorry that's incorrect. When the fwd pressure is set correctly set the window is half yellow/half black.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ozbozz123, you are correct that with that binding the boot needs to be installed to read the fwd pressure as the dildo folds down covering the window when the boot's removed.

ozbozz123 wrote:
When I move it to the right position the window is 4/5 yellow and 1/5 black......should the window be all black or all yellow or half and half....

How do you know it's in the right position?

With the ski tip pointing to the left the left half(ish) of the window should be yellow & the right half(ish) should be black. It's common to not be able to get it 50/50 but technically any black in the window is ok but I always want to find at least 75/25. If it's a choice of more yellow or more black than I steer on the side of slightly less fwd pressure & go with more yellow.

When you think you've adjusted the binding length (by lifting the metal tab & sliding the heel piece back or fwd) correctly try going another 'click' to see the effect on the fwd pressure - you'd be surprised how short the binding length has to be sometimes to get the correct forward pressure. As stated on an earlier post, the fwd pressure is independent of the din setting so I'd recommend winding the heel din right down to make installing & removing the boot waaay easier as you won't have to overcome the heel release spring.

If the binding doesn't have enough length adjustment to correct set the fwd pressure then it's likely that the binding jig length used to drill the mounting holes has been set quite a bit different from the actual length of your boot.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks very much for all your replies.

When you say wind the DIN right down I assume you mean just while I'm fiddling with them and then put it back up to actually ski?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
jbob wrote:
I have those bindings and the window should be yellow.....

Sorry that's incorrect. When the fwd pressure is set correctly set the window is half yellow/half black.

Oops!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ozbozz123 wrote:
.....When you say wind the DIN right down I assume you mean just while I'm fiddling with them and then put it back up to actually ski?

Yep
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy