Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black Pistes

Poster: A snowHead
snowarea wrote:
Mac22, It's not a stupid question at all! Depends of the temperature, the wind, the period, cold winter or hot like spring conditions we have sometimes at beginning of March or mid April ; usually we find better snow conditions later in the season on north sides because it's colder and we can keep powder snow much longer. In the mountains there is no normal rules, it's changing all the time and the best idea is to ask professional (ski instructors, mountain guides, ski patrol).

This, but just to add some simple (generalising) extra bits:

If the day before was hovering around 0 degrees, south facing slopes are more likely to have got to the point of melting, and so the morning after (assuming colder temps over night) may have refrozen with a layer of ice, whilst north facing slopes may not have experienced the change.

If there has been lots of melting and refreezing on all aspects, you would normally expect south facing slopes to warm up and soften first - so ski them in the morning while everything else is still frozen solid. In the afternoon the southern slopes may then also become slushy/very cut up/mogulled first, while north facing slopes may have been less affected - so which to ski depends on your preferences.

That's just considering piste conditions, the affects of aspect on offpiste snow metamorphism and conditions, and avalanche forecasting, are quite a bit more complex, but if you're into corn harvesting generally (obv temp dependant) start south as the metamorphism will start there first, heading through to north as the snow gets past corn conditions and into slush/really wet snow.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, very interesting. Looks like I should be planning my day a little more closely to get the bes skiing. We gernerally just make sure we "start here" and "end up here" when planning our route!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mac22, that also works wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mac22, There's no need to worry too much about it if skiing onpiste, and other variations can override/affect the considerations I posted above too (so unless you want to do a lot of reading, thinking and analysing past weather just ask someone knowledgeable in resort), plus in midwinter it's perfectly likely that the only difference will be how sunny it is. The best thing is to just get good enough at skiing that you can enjoy all conditions (although I'm suspicious of anyone who enjoys ice, they generally seem to be freaky racer-types with a lycra/waxing/stopwatch fetish wink ).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Mac22 (although I'm suspicious of anyone who enjoys ice, they generally seem to be freaky racer-types with a lycra/waxing/stopwatch fetish wink ).

I actually did just laugh out loud!

Yeah ice is my idea of hell. can't ski on it, don't understand how others can!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
^^ Smoothly, no sudden movements, don't have your skis glued together. Equally don't back off from it - ski aggressively and you'll put more pressure through your edges, and so get more grip. Still won't be fun though lol.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Black runs tend to be one or more of the following: steep; narrow; ungroomed; mogulled; or long and isolated. In North America and some macho resorts, they can also be: gladed; obstructed by low-growing vegetation; rock-strewn; or close to natural dangers such as cliffs. In the very gnarliest resorts, you’ll find drops and chutes with no alternative way down. On the flip side, some places have very tame runs that are graded black simply because they’re the hardest in the resort.

The trouble with thinking, “I can do blacks,” is that we all have different no-go zones. You might be comfortable on steeps, but terrified of moguls; happy with drops, but freak out in a chute. So, until you can handle all of the features found on black runs, you need to exercise real caution. Anyone who tells you to go for it without understanding your limitations and the difficulty of the run you’re considering is simply irresponsible. On the other hand, black runs often have the most rewarding skiing in a resort and you have to start somewhere.

If you can comfortably ski all reds, you’re definitely ready for some black runs. If at all possible, start in good light and soft snow near midday, but, most important of all, make sure that you know why that particular run has received a black grading. Also, be certain to check that the snow conditions are good on the day.

Don’t be afraid to ask for advice on the mountain. You can expect a well-managed resort to have mountain hosts at various points on the mountain. They’ll never tell you whether you should tackle a particular run, but they should be able to give you reliable information about what you might expect to find when you get there.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny Jones, You missed one, it's the, make it a black because the lift at the end of the slope is so old it cant cope with masses of skiers wink
Derochoir, La Plagne, being one such example Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, rubbish. I like icy/hardcrust pistes and I'm neither a stopwatch nor a lycra type. I just prefer an easy life. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:
Jonny Jones, You missed one, it's the, make it a black because the lift at the end of the slope is so old it cant cope with masses of skiers wink

La Fare, Alpe d'Huez likewise.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:
Mac22, (although I'm suspicious of anyone who enjoys ice, they generally seem to be freaky racer-types with a lycra/waxing/stopwatch fetish wink ).

Nah. It's just one of those skills you need to acquire. Acquire adequate depth and you begin to enjoy it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

La Fare, Alpe d'Huez likewise.

La Fare is an odd one. Easy peasy pudding, and indeed pie. My first black run on a snowboard in fact. No bother.

Someone once said on here that, on paper, it's the steepest black in the whole area. Length divided by vertical.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia wrote:
clarky999, rubbish. I like icy/hardcrust pistes and I'm neither a stopwatch nor a lycra type. I just prefer an easy life. Laughing

I mean proper ice, not just hardpack - but fair 'nuff.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Mac22, (although I'm suspicious of anyone who enjoys ice, they generally seem to be freaky racer-types with a lycra/waxing/stopwatch fetish wink ).

Nah. It's just one of those skills you need to acquire. Acquire adequate depth and you begin to enjoy it.

Mmm not sure, I can ski it fine but will always take the offpiste option instead, no matter how bad the re-frozen junk is. Or just go for a skin. Might be different with your FIS slalom planks though wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
under a new name wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Mmm not sure, I can ski it fine but will always take the offpiste option instead, no matter how bad the re-frozen junk is. Or just go for a skin. Might be different with your FIS slalom planks though wink

Yeee haw!!

Yup, probably.

I think Qu. Boad. and I are discussing different things. And please forgive me for pulling your chain a little. I did have one lovely moment on a plate of frozen river tho'...

P.s. Yes, the off piste option always, even just to avoid the crowds...
ski holidays
I took lessons and once the instructor had sussed us out he led us down a black and didn't tell us until we were in the lift queue at the bottom. Just felt like a very steep red.
latest report
under a new name, No worries Laughing
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:

Or the make it a black because it is the only way down from the learner area without taking the chair back down, and if it is red, people will try it who aren't capable.

e.g. run 36 at Gerlos (Zillertal).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy