Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Had my first snowboard lesson today...

Poster: A snowHead
God I ache.

You guys do this for fun?

Seriously?

Ah, well. Same again tomorrow...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, I should ask...

Except for Masque's seriously excellent post, does anyone have anything they wish they'd been told when they were starting out?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FlyingStantoni wrote:
God I ache.

You guys do this for fun?

Seriously?

Ah, well. Same again tomorrow...

Well done for taking the leap to the darkside. Day one hurts the most and then generally it gets better from there on. Main advice would be for impact shorts and helmet when you are on the mountain.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks surfstar, so it's going to hurt for a while then Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni, Good one.

Quote:
does anyone have anything they wish they'd been told when they were starting out?

It took me a while to work out that all the shouts tell me to stay 'forward' were meant in relation to length ways on the board, and does not mean bending at the waist Embarassed

A self check for this if the relative position of your belly button - ideally over just to the inside of your front foot. This results in your rear leg straightening a tad. If you find the opposite happening you are getting 'back', perfectly natural for the body to shy away from perceived impending pain. Keeping a neutral or forward position on the board is the key.

Otherwise try and stay flexed ankle \ knee's, relax be patient with your turns.

edit for clarity (?)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 28-12-11 19:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
my first go on hard pack felt like someone grabbed me by the ankles and whacked me down as hard as they could ... is tele not humiliating enough for you ? wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
A self check for this if the relative position of your belly button - ideally just to the inside of your front foot. This results in your rear leg straightening a tad. If you find the opposite happening you are getting 'back', perfectly natural for the body to shy away from perceived impending pain. Keeping a neutral or forward position on the board is the key.

That's really useful, thanks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
... is tele not humiliating enough for you ? wink

I thought I'd combine the two tomorrow. Skin up, telemark in the morning and do some snowboard practice in the arvo.

For ultimate masochism we could throw in some nordic Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni, The best way to check is to 'freeze' your posture at the end of each run and do a quick mental run through of all the key elements. If you find elements that are not correct they can be the focus for the next run. So I'd be looking for elements like:

Hips, Shoulders in line with the board
'forward' stance as described above
flexed ankles \ knees
straight back (ie not flexed \ breaking at the waist).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks AndAnotherThing.., I'll bear that in mind when I get to the giddy heights of doing "a run"!

It'll be better tomorrow for sleeping on it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Day two.

An hour and a half at the top of Pleney. I can now link four turns.

I cut whilst I was ahead...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FlyingStantoni, you, sir, are a glutton for punishment. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni, did you actually have a lesson (if so, with whom) or are you DIY? And are you renting gear or have you borrowed it? I'm curious as I was tempted to dip a toe a few years ago but the conditions were so good for planks that I couldn't see the point (esp. being a max 2 weeks a year skier).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well my mini darksider wished she'd known about impact shorts before lesson one and has since added wrist guards (well mitts with built in guards) to her kit. Keep considering having a go as well, maybe when the next snowdome offer comes round!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Piece of advisei was given as a newbie was "if you feel you're going too fast and you want to scrub speed fast think 'sit down'." it does make a bit of sense too - sitting down will lower your body position, flex your knees and drop your centre of gravity. it'll pressure your heel edge giving you control and slow you down. and if all else fails you'll fall on your back bottom and not your face Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Piece of advisei was given as a newbie was "if you feel you're going too fast and you want to scrub speed fast think 'sit down'." it does make a bit of sense too - sitting down will lower your body position, flex your knees and drop your centre of gravity. it'll pressure your heel edge giving you control and slow you down. and if all else fails you'll fall on your back bottom and not your face Toofy Grin
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, nooooooooo! Look away before it's too late!!!!!
snow report
FlyingStantoni, read this. 2 years ago and the scars are still there. I have done many sports, even run marathons but nothing has hurt as much or been as physically destroying as learning to snowboard. We ski mostly now and occasionally take the boards out but I still come out in a cold seat when i think of getting on a board and a potential face plant.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57725
snow report
FlyingStantoni, boarding in powder feels like flying. Persistence and commitment will pay off.
snow report
Thanks Lizzard. I have plenty of "ski days" ahead of me, so am going to try to do an hour or two here and there.

The plan is to do another couple of hours tomorrow and then do some cross-country. (We're trying our best to avoid the lifts this week.)
snow report
gatecrasher, it's ok, I'm just "dabbling". wink

I just hope it's not a "gateway sport" to snow-biking...
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
A self check for this if the relative position of your belly button - ideally just to the inside of your front foot. This results in your rear leg straightening a tad. If you find the opposite happening you are getting 'back', perfectly natural for the body to shy away from perceived impending pain. Keeping a neutral or forward position on the board is the key.

That's really useful, thanks.

That really worked for me Happy
latest report
FlyingStantoni, Madeye-Smiley

Stick at it. Once you start linking a few turns, it gets easier. Maybe.... wink
ski holidays
Wrist guards, back protector and impact shorts in that order. The injury to your ego is the worst bit especially if you forget to laugh at yourself. Stick with it and you'll never look back, I keep telling myself I should do a few days on skis again but can't find enough of a reason to give up the fun snowHead
snow report
As another brother lost... wonders off into the darkness...... rolling eyes
snow conditions
gatecrasher wrote:
As another brother lost... wonders off into the darkness...... rolling eyes

No fear gatecrasher Shocked
snow conditions
gatecrasher, I wonder if you mean wander?
Try it you might like it Toofy Grin
snow report
robapplegate, yep that works! Damn you boarder types... lexicographer thingy m'people!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, how is it going? what is it... day three! Must be nearly an expert by now! wink
latest report
gatecrasher wrote:
FlyingStantoni, how is it going? what is it... day three! Must be nearly an expert by now! wink

Too much snow today - had to ski! I could barely walk by the time I'd finished skiing, so an hour on the nursery slope with the board wasn't going to happen.

Next slide on Sunday...
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, when you've got the hang of it (which you won't if you keep sneaking off back to your skis), you will laugh at the very idea of skiing on a day when there's fresh snow.
latest report
Lizzard, Not sure that I'd go that far , unless I invested in snow shoes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni, Phew! Good to hear, too much snow is a good problem to have on your skis!
ski holidays
There's a time and place for everything!
ski holidays
Had a powder epiphany on the board today! Mr NN has had a bit of a confidence dive so I would like to get him some private lessons- can you recommend anyone ?FlyingStantoni,
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Had a powder epiphany on the board today! Mr NN has had a bit of a confidence dive so I would like to get him some private lessons- can you recommend anyone ?FlyingStantoni,

A friend's son has been teaching me as a swap for me doing him telemark lessons, so I can't do a personal recommendation off experience sorry.

I know both Ed and Nathan socially who work for Alpine Learning Curves and who both teach snowboarding. They're both really lovely guys and it's probably worth giving one of them a try. Give Babs a ring - 06 77 04 01 45
snow report
Quote:

does anyone have anything they wish they'd been told when they were starting out?

Do not keep your thickish camera in your front jacket pocket as it works well to dislocate a rib when you catch a toe edge and go down hard wink
latest report
Keep off the flat cat tracks, I smashed my elbow when boxed in by skiers, unable to turn, brake, stop, do anything. Had a nice stay in Lienz hospital and came home with titanium screws. Oddly enough steeper slopes can be easier to learn on as turning is easier at speed (honest) but it does take some faith. Pay for proper lessons too, they know what they're talking about.
snow report
he's gone a bit quiet......... lucky to be learning with this lovely soft snow around.
ski holidays
Mr NN has got it! Woohoo! He went out with friends on Monday (when it was horrid up there!) and then we popped up for a few hours today and he has got it! That "sit down" trick clinched it I think, I had a go today and it really does work snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy