Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top 10 US ski towns....

Poster: A snowHead
...according to Skiing magazine are
1. Jackson, Wyoming
2. Steamboat Springs, Colorado
3. Vail, Colorado
4. Bozeman, Montana
5. Hood River, Oregon
6. Truckee, California
7. Park City, Utah
8. Breckenridge, Colorado
9. Aspen, Colorado
10. Stowe, Vermont

Hood River? Never been there so this is not informed comment but I'd have thought Park City would have come above there. And where is Telluride?

(OK, so I haven't seen the whole article so I dont know what criteria were used to pick them. Just thought it might provoke some discussion wink )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave, I shared your mystery about Hood River. It appears to be the resort town of Mount Hood, which is better known because it's the only all-year ski area in the US.

It does seem surprising for Bozeman and Hood River to be rated No.4 and No.5. As you say, the criteria/voting behind this would be interesting to see. I would have thought that Snowbird-Alta would be well up there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it is towns as opposed to ski areas then that presumably rules out Snowbird/Alta which is just a collection of lodges/hotels (I believe, never having been there)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith
Mount Hood doesn't look so good at the moment! Which makes it even more mystifying.

(Photo by Gaper Jeffey, T Tips 28.08.05)

Edit for photo credit
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only places on the list to which I've been are Park City, Bozeman, and Stowe. Based on reputation, the ranking seems odd. Everything I read and everyone I've talked with likes Aspen better than Vail. Bozeman is a cool place but I don't think of it as a "ski town" -- it's 45 minutes or more to Big Sky. I've never heard of Hood River but always hear great things about Telluride, which doesn't make the list.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hood River is an old orchard packing house community east of Portland and almost directly north of Mt. Hood. The town probably would have slowly been blown away like many of the other small agriculture towns out west except it was discovered by windsurfers. The Columbia River is very wide and slow around Hood River. During the summer the cliffs on the river funnel the wind creating heavy winds they sometimes call nuclears (except the president who would call them nuculars.) During the 80s and 90s wind surfers started moving into the town bringing along lots of money and a demand for more urban fare. Since it now has trendy shops and restaurants many of the skiers based at Mt. Hood live there. Due to Mt. Hoods 12 months of skiing some of the best skiers in the country have places in Hood River.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave J wrote:
David Goldsmith
Mount Hood doesn't look so good at the moment! Which makes it even more mystifying.

I've been to Hood River. Quite a relaxed, chilled out place it is in the evening. Bars had a good atmosphere about them. And of course Oregon has plenty of microbreweries. So memories aren't as crystal clear as they could be. Don't know how it compares to the rest of America though.

As well as Mount Hood, Mount Adams is nearby. A local pointed out a large (permanent?) snowfield which some advanced skiers and boarders will hike up to instead of going to Timberline. I believe there was some talk of trying to build a resort on Adams, but it ran into some pretty fierce opposition.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No mention of Winter park, Rusty !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Living on the east myself, I can seriously say I have no Idea why they would even put Stowe on that list. Granted it is a good mountain (where everything is way overpriced, including in town) there are so many way better choices. The east should not even be on the list for US ski towns.!!!!!!!!!!!! Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Huckingfellers, I tend to disagree regarding Stowe. I don't think it's top 10 (probably not even close) in terms of skiing but I think the village of Stowe is very charming with lots of terrific dining options. Not much late night party action, if you're into that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RISkier wrote:
Huckingfellers, I tend to disagree regarding Stowe. I don't think it's top 10 (probably not even close) in terms of skiing but I think the village of Stowe is very charming with lots of terrific dining options. Not much late night party action, if you're into that.
Yeah stowe village is very nice but it has to have the skiing to, which isnt bad at all for the east, dont get me wrong. But no comparison in my eyes to the western USA. I ski the east more cause I live on the East (NY) but I am fortunate enough to ski the west quite a bit in the winter. I have been trying to get my wife to move to Colorado for the last year and a half purely for the skiing. Man I love those big mountains snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Royal, I have not read the article, however, I find a few of the inclusions/exclusions a bit odd. I also don't quite agree with the rankings.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Royal wrote:
No mention of Winter park, Rusty !

Nor of Alta or Snowbird...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crested Butte, Durango, Telluride, Taos, Tahoe.......i don't know the criteria, however I'd have to have put those five on the list.

in all seriousness i think the small size of the town of Winter Park would keep it off a list. now if we could include Tabernash and Fraser!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...and Berthoud?
ski holidays
Whitefish
snow report
Silverton?

I cant work out whether this has been done by quality of the skiing, or the quality of the town next to the skiing, or maybe by the amount of advertising they bought from 'Skiing' rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Berthoud the town is no where near Berthoud the ski area which in reality can be added to the list of ski areas that no longer exist. The town of Berthoud is two hours away. The pass is of course still there as a backcountry venue.

Dave J, Folks either love the place or hate it. The guided only nature infuriates folks. There is talk of limited lift ticket access to the public, however, the guides will have access to the "good stuff" and the public with tickets to very limited terrain under or near their only lift.

I have not yet made the trip. A friend did it once. He has a lot of avi experience and was not real happy with a few safety issues. The place kinda made him nervous.

Nice town.
ski holidays
...according to Skiing magazine are
1. Jackson, Wyoming
2. Steamboat Springs, Colorado
3. Vail, Colorado
4. Bozeman, Montana
5. Hood River, Oregon
6. Truckee, California
7. Park City, Utah
8. Breckenridge, Colorado
9. Aspen, Colorado
10. Stowe, Vermont

First off, I heartily agree with their conclusion on what is the NUMBER ONE ski town in the US. Very Happy My, what enlightened and knowledgeable editors they have.

I haven't seen this year's Skiing rankings, but I remember from last year (when Jackson was also number one, thank you very much) that they took into account a number of attributes in their rankings. It had to be a "town" as opposed to a city. It had to have good skiing but also have lots of other high-quality outdoor recreation opportunities, and it had to have that elusive quality-of-life characteristic that would make it a fun place to be.

That's why Alta/Snowbird isn't on the list - there's no town there. I agree with those of you wondering why Crested Butte (in particular) and Telluride aren't on the list. My own opinion, however, is that the nearby skiing isn't "big" enough or varied enough for Durango to qualify.

I'm really mystified that Sun Valley, Idaho, isn't on the list. That's one my very favorite ski towns.

Bob
ski holidays
Dave J wrote:
Silverton?

I cant work out whether this has been done by quality of the skiing, or the quality of the town next to the skiing, or maybe by the amount of advertising they bought from 'Skiing' rolling eyes Laughing

Silverton from what I read and have seen has some bad ass terrain. Silverton is definatley on my list for next year and if I am really lucky I might be able to squeeze a few day trip in there this year, maybe, hopefully!! Lot of hiking at silverton, have to be in peak physical condition no doubt; or you will be left behind! For me being from the east Silverton will be at the end of a 2 week trip to Utah then Colorado to make sure I am good and acclimated to the alttitude!

Silverton I really look forward too. Wish I was more educated on it before we made solid plans. Ya never know though snowHead
snow conditions
Rusty Guy wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Berthoud the town is no where near Berthoud the ski area which in reality can be added to the list of ski areas that no longer exist. The town of Berthoud is two hours away. The pass is of course still there as a backcountry venue.

Dave J,

I have not yet made the trip. A friend did it once. He has a lot of avi experience and was not real happy with a few safety issues. The place kinda made him nervous.

Nice town.

That makes me kind of nervous !!! I had a few clinics on avy dangers/rescue/equipment use. Never seen an avalanche; hope I never do either! Do you know what made him nervous? I have heard good and bad mostly about the guides being rude if your not in shape and keep up, which is understandable Toofy Grin But nothing on carelessness yet?
snow conditions
The article was probably written by someone re-assigned from AutoSport or House & Garden Magazine Very Happy
snow report
stanton wrote:
The article was probably written by someone re-assigned from AutoSport or House & Garden Magazine Very Happy
Laughing Razz
ski holidays
huckingfellers,
Just happened to come accross this which seems to give a pretty balanced view of Silverton. Nothing about safety issues though.
ski holidays
Dave J, Thanks man, good read!
ski holidays
Truckee is a dump-the best that can be said for it is that it is easy to get out of....
Close to some brilliant riding,but Tahoe would be a much better base for that
latest report
What ever editor guy, and he knows who he is! Stop copying and pasting and write something real!!! Th top 10 suck and is way off!!!! Get over your self and learn to ski cause you Be Nice please! suck _byatch
snow report
Anybody been to Phillipsburg, Montana ? Its a lovely old mining town and the place to stay if skiing Discovery Basin.
This is such a laid back, friendly place with some top notch challenging terrain as well as lovely easy cruising groomers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MUSKY, not me - quite a thread resurrection though!
ski holidays
MUSKY wrote:
Anybody been to Phillipsburg, Montana ? Its a lovely old mining town and the place to stay if skiing Discovery Basin.
This is such a laid back, friendly place with some top notch challenging terrain as well as lovely easy cruising groomers.

+1

and +1 to Whitefish, Montana

Park City is hard to beat though, esp if you're on holidays.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:

Park City is hard to beat though, esp if you're on holidays.

Agreed.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119861

I also like Truckee (especially) and Steamboat.
snow report
10 year old thread. Nice dig!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy