Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What altitude do you need a resort to be?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Like snowball pointed out, Austria can be lower because it is further East ... away from the Atlantic ocean you get colder temperatures (eg Moscow) so Altitude dosnt matter.
As the slopes are lower, they have grass cover, not bare rock and scree like many french resorts...so they also need less snow cover anyway to be skiable = double win.

Then theres the trees, which help you see the slope in bad cloud cover - they introduce subtle shading on the pistes so are much less prone to the 'flat light' of high altitude treeless resorts. = trebble win.

Like Alistair said, a bit of latitude helps too, but reduces daylight.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lampbus wrote:

Like Alistair said, a bit of latitude helps too, but reduces daylight.

Srtictly speaking only before March 21st (Vernal Equinox), after that date the further North you go the longer the hours of daylight. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Srtictly speaking only before March 21st (Vernal Equinox), after that date the further North you go the longer the hours of daylight

latitude is about going east and west, isn't it, rather than north?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Completely back to front for you! Latitude is measured in degrees north or south of the Equator and LONGITUDE is measured in degrees east or west of the Greenwich Meridian.

I was so shocked an experienced sailor such as yourself would make such an elementary error, I had to go and check! A senior moment maybe?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue,

What pam w need is attitude in skiing. Some of us have rarely anything to do with the longitude and altitude in our daily life.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizwald, If you have a cable car from resort/village to mountain top, I'd go for a 500-900m village as it's generally so much easier to get to. Apart from the big name resorts, ski-in-ski-out can render skiers as prisoners stuck in a Colditz like camp easting poor food simply because nothing else is available. It can and does happen. Morrilion 1100 can be a bit like that and lifts close at dusk and they're not exactly spoilt for choice Crying or Very sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy