Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in March - Mayrhofen, Solden or Saalbach?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A buddy and I, both in our late 20's, are planning a snowboarding trip to Austria in the 2nd week of March. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these three resorts. Cost is a major factor for us. So is apres and nightlife! The livelier the better. Also, would like a place with a better male-female ratio! One of us is an intermediate boarder and the other has had only one week of boarding before. So we don't need a massive ski area, but good snow since we're making a long journey to get there. Anybody who's been to either of these resorts (or 2 or all 3), please give us your two bits. Any inputs that could make our choice easier would be highly appreciated. Our other option is to go in the 2nd week of Feb, which unfortunately coincides with the British school half-term holidays. But if snow is an issue in March, we might consider it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only been to Mayrhofen and Saalbach.
Saalbach has better skiing and better Apres but is more expensive.
The runs in Mayrhofen are mostly shorter than Saalbachs.
Both towns are nice,there's probable a bit more going on in Mayrhofen.
You also have the the option of the Hintertux Glacier which is roughly a 30 min drive from Mayrhofen.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarafification, don't go in 1/2 term! 2nd week in March is the perfect time to go to Austria.

More brits in Mayrhofen, more Germans in Solden.

With your expereince there will be enough in Mayrhofen to keep you busy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want good skiing and good apres ski then you can't go wrong with Solden. Not been to other two you mention.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

don't go in 1/2 term!

However it should be pointed our that this year (for a change) the UK half term doesn't conflict with those of Germany, Holland and half of Austria, which should ease the pressure, particularly in resorts that are not overrun with British skiers.
Chick, .....Mayrhofen must be extremely inexpensive!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Havn't been to Mayrhofen but of the other two Salbach just shades it for apres more chance of good snow in Solden.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok..so we've decided not to go during the mid-terms in Feb. We're going from the 10th-17th of March. Mayrhofen definitely looks like the cheapest option. We've got a good deal for an apartment at the Bruggerhof. Its only 400m from the Penken Gondola. It's refundable so I still have some time to decide between Solden and Mayrhofen. Though more expensive, it just sounds like the nightlife in Solden is a lot more fun!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarafification, Mayrhofen Apres is great too, it's just more avoidable than Solden as it's a large/proper town. You'll not be dissapointed with the nightlife in Mayrhofen.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
solden my friend. been twice already this year. every ski place ive been is full of guys but solden is very lively but odd. the reason?
loads of bars pubs but most are empty. reason is solden spread over a long street , people cant be bothered walking so one end of town is where best to go.
ski down at 4pm to schrim bar. you tube. place is rocking at 3pm till 8pm and i mean rocking. great laugh and 2 other great apres ski bars at bottom of lifts
afterb that got chris irish bar. 10min walk. small bar but great if you you just want a pub for couple of hours and cheap booze before moving on. pint stella is 4.5 euro. cheapest in solden. about 11pm you move on to mogul bar and fire and ice or bier himmel . these really are the only busy places/clubs as people just head there. all dutch and german and austrian. very friendly. russians too but they look all like hookers!
solden needs one more proper pub in right location and maybe 2 other club/bars in right location and it would then offer the perfect night life
going back for world cup in oct and maybe st anton in march as nightlife is very important. quiet , family resorts do my head in!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mayhofen has (used to have some years ago at least) a good club annexed to the Hotel Brucke (where we stayed, so had free entry Very Happy - also very well placed for the main gondola), and there was a crazy europop bar next to the gondola station packed at 4pm. Maybe the Hotel Brucke is in the wrong direction for the rest of the apres scene, but I don't recall finding to much - certainly no dancing on the tables - but I was with a crowd of couples, so that didn't help! Cakes for Apres!!!

Solden is mainly a German / Austrian resort, but there's a good selction of busy bars in the main street. Mainly nearer to the (southen) main lift end.

Going to Saalbach in two weeks for the first time....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Soelden is one of the ugliest places I've seen in Austria.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is true that Sölden isn't a very beautiful village, but the area is big, fairly cheap and snow-sure. The skiing is good and diverse.The village also offers other activities, such as bowling and a public swimming pool.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy