Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rinse Cycle - Avalanche Footage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this is a re-run or not, I haven't seen it before on here I don't think. Sorry if it is. The footage is from Feb 28th 2011 in Verbier.

"Live Leak" footage here.

(Embedded fail).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sobering.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Abs?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chilling. Really think the victim was under 2m of snow, looks like the rescuers were digging with skis tips and hands, that would take a long time to get through that much snow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waynos, was wondering about that too. And the fact that there was still a lot of light available.

However deep it was, still chilling.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
waynos, yep me too digging down 2m with skis and hands would take an age, plus they seem to go in directly down to him rather than in from an angle!

very sobering, here is another one on Verbier, look out at about 38 secs into the video
jbob, airbags do help, sorry for the plug but its true, even with an airbag and shovels it still takes quite a while to dig the guy out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4xvGOxlClTk
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob, not sure ABS would have helped. He had practically come to a stop in the initial slide and then seemed to get covered by stuff coming from behind. Can't believe that was 2m down though, too much light for that. Also strange that the guys with him didn't have shovels!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My guess would be that he wasn't 2m down and had at least part of him on the surface or some super sharp eyed friends watching him.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd say that was more a big sluff and then another very big sluff covering him, rather than a proper avalanche. He had too much movement under the snow and it was too soft when they dug him out. Proper avalanches set like cement (I'm sure most people on here have skied over avalanche rubble and know how hard it is).
Still, a very very scary experience, however you classify it, and avalanches vary a lot - perhaps I am just being pedantic.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ It was big enough avalanche to take him off his feet and bury him...
Which makes it more than just a sluff.
Without the air pocket it could easily have killed him.
Suspect that a pole / hand was visible from the surface.

Looks like the Banana chute off Mt Gele ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looked like 2 slips,the first just took his feet from under him, then there was a pause and then another covered him as he lay there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for posting that.

Given the speed of the rescue, I don't think they were all digging with hands. You can also see someone with a shovel in the background. I suspect they stopped using the shovel once it became clear they were digging down on the victim's head. I also don't think that was a 2m burial, although given they've gone in from down the slope, they may have moved a lot of snow to get to the victim.

Not wanting to labour over someone else's misfortune but the combination of that wind feature and the rollover is a fairly obvious danger sign.

I can't identify that location in Verbier. Anyone know where that is?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Looks like the Banana chute off Mt Gele ?

Figures. Don't think it is that one, though. One of the chutes skiers right?

My initial thought was somewhere Cleuson way but if that were so there would be a lake in this video somewhere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy