Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GBP/EUR exchange rate (again)

Poster: A snowHead
It's a tad bashful of hitting the magic 1.2 isn't it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think you're right on that
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio wrote:
It's a tad bashful of hitting the magic 1.2 isn't it.

Oh yes please but the dizzy heights of 1.25 would be my buy point
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1.226 get our family lift pass to under £600, which would be nice Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Travelex doing a 1 hr flash sale on euro 12-1 today, 1.1675 rate.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't see anywhere on Cantonfix site to check the rates?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio,
Quote:

First Choice travel agents will 'price match'.

they sure do my local one knows me pretty well now and they are great, they always match the best rate we can find Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gilly28, it's on their home page.... box to the right
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
miranda wrote:
I didn't realise that's how those cards worked. I was thinking of getting one and assumed you loaded it in pounds but when you used it abroad it offered you a charge free transaction at better than normal bank rate (so if you'd used it today in a Euro country, it would have converted at 1.165 whereas if you'd used your high street bank card it would have converted at, say, 1.12 and probably charged you a percentage on top). I liked the idea of the convenience of not having to worry that you're getting fleeced for commission and a high street exchange rate... if you have to keep watching exchange rates and wondering if and when you should top up and by how much, it doesn't seem quite as convenient as before...

You can get cards that work just like this, Caxton do one of those in addition to the $ and € cards. I actually prefer to use the € card in the Euro zone because it's easier to plan that way e.g. I can load €500 now and go to a cash point and take out €500 and I know I have no balance left on the card. The £ version of the card is a better bet for non-Euro countries, if you use a € card in CH for example I think you do pay small commission or fee (can't remember exactly what the details are there).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmaah,

Thanks found it, but that's the base rate, is there anywhere that tell you the exchange rate I would get for travel money? I did call them and they said around 1.14 at the moment (obviously they change all the time)

I just bought some euros from Travelex in their flash sale, rate of 1.1675, just bought £300 worth so I can split the rates if it does go up next week. Cocked up a bit though as used a credit card and didn't realise there was a charge on it!! rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/ the best rate here is 1.175
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A smidge up against the $ but down against the € today - small changes, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Post office using 1.161 and M&S is at 1.1449 a surprising difference as they are normally quite good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jake43, Yes I have always found M&S to have good rates in the past.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just ordered Euro 350 for £296.59 at a rate of 1.18009996. Happy with that and can collect from Liverpool Street today. www.bestforeignexchange.com
ski holidays
Before coming out if you use Citibank you can open accounts in Euros and Dollars, and have one card as use in that currency. (Just call them in UK and switch to whichever currency you want). The rate has always been good and you can quickly transfer money between the accounts for good rates. The only catch is you need to deposit £1,800 monthly to avoid £8 charge to have the accounts, so would mean using the Citi account as you current account in the UK.
So good if a frequent traveller
snow report
Currently at 1.996... (FT.com 11:47 am)

C'mon my son - you can do it!
snow report
Arctic Roll, I assume you mean 1.196
snow report
Embarassed
snow conditions
Now 1.189 at www.bestforeignexchange.com pick up from London Liverpool Street.

It's getting closer..........
ski holidays
£ is continuing to nudge up slowly - I guess the banks are ditching Euro holdings progressively. Not sure I'd want to be holding more than immediate travel needs myself.
ski holidays
DJL, is that the walk-in rate? Just so happens I'm around there tomorrow and I'd settle for that.
snow report
Caxton Fx card is selling at 1.18 to the pound at the end of last week.
latest report
www.xe.com is showing 1.2004 euro to pound
Any predictions for mid Feb?
snow conditions
andyph, I'm sold, I've applied for a Caxton Euro card. They're showing 1.17 today. Interestingly, after my poor 1.12 to get currency from LloydsTSB last week, the exchange rate showing on my statement for transactions in Austria using my bank card was 1.15. Either way, I've got at least 3 trips planned between now and April so I'll give the card a whirl.
snow report
1.1920 at Waterloo (but print off a voucher first)

http://www.iceplc.com/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=iceplc.com&state=survey&action=display&survey=10&menu=branchcollection&suppress_header=yes&zone=waterloo
latest report
I guess 1.20 will trigger a lot of activity on the markets (although volumes are generally pretty low at this point in the year) - be interesting to see if it can sustain this level through to early Jan.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller,

You need to book it on the website for that rate. The walk in rate is usually a couple of cents lower (still pretty competitive).

If you book on line you have to collect before close of business (18.30 I think though best to check with them).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJL, thanks I'll go look. Meanwhile, I've gone for the dsoutar solution at Waterloo.
ski holidays
ICE Waterloo is always the best solution IME though the cost of time (2x 45 min) and travel (£3.80) means Liverpool Street works for me.

This is great resource for tracking the best rate both for those with access to London and those without:

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/
ski holidays
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/13/default.stm

Above 1.2 according to BBC.
snow report
And according to XE.com. Happy days. I'll go for a few hundred more Euro tomorrow I think. Good when a plan comes together.
snow conditions
I must admit I tend to go and grab GBP cash at the PO, then check their Euro rate and walk 100yds to First choice and ask them to better it and get cash Euros to take - I wonder if one of these FX cards is a better option? Where do we all stand if we are sitting on Euros and everyone goes back to Francs and Deutschmarks?
snow report
Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger bug Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger bug Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger bug Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger bug Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger bug Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger bug Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger Bug ger bug

I bought some euros only a few days ago - why why why why why why why didn't I wait only 3 days.

And yes I know it's only a couple of points up - but I bought quite a lot.

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Could have spent £1,000's less for the same euros
(enough to get MrsW a cheap new car)

Right that's it. I blame this website (coz I can't make a mistake and have to blame someone - so it's all of your faults) for this loss, so any snowHead's who come to anywhere in the Val di Sole are going to be serverly pointed at. And MrsW will need a lift as she doesn't have a new car Shocked

Bug ger
latest report
Long may it contiune. I try to understand these things but don't really understnad all the factors.

Some food for thought though..... My dad sold his house in Spain and stubbornly refuses to bring the proceeds back to the UK as he's waiting until the rate goes back in his favour (this was at 1.15 to £) I keep telling him he changed over at 1.6 when he went out there so he's quids in anyhow. Every cent that he loses on the lump sum he has costs him around a couple of grand though..... Greed is a funny thing :twisted

A 7 euro plate of chips which was £7 2 years ago is still £5.88.....
ski holidays
Just booked my second batch at 1.1921!

1.194 available if you can collect in the West End (of London):

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/
snow conditions
As some people have posted it's sometimes worth going to local fx place and saying so-an-so is giving this rate (as long as you can back it up). I work in Canary Wharf and phoned Ace-FX in the shopping mall below my office and they matched ICE rate
snow report
Wayne, Over the page, I asked at 1.16 about waiting or getting £1300ish worth of euros, someone said get half now, half later.
Just what I did.
Got the other half a couple of days ago when Caxtonfx did a one day thingy at 1.18.
Not a big difference but it's a free beer.
Now hovering around 1.173.
snow report
Half rice half naan is always the best option.
snow conditions
Try WorldFirst credit card, works every where and easy to use and load. http://www.worldfirst.com/currency-card/
1.1834 today and always found them to be a fair few points higher than everyone else.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy