Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GBP/EUR exchange rate (again)

Poster: A snowHead
Will be at a 1-year high by close of trading today, I reckon...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy Buy Buy
oh it's still as high as 1.18 or .84p
wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio, paid in euros these days? someone is trying to keep you out of the UK I reckon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm hanging on till next week..... BUY at 1.20
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of sell orders at 1.20 /83.33 If you can get 1.19 take it. Markets pretty thin. Its weak Euro not Strong pound remember.

Stanton will no doubt be along to explain why this is good for skiing/economy/cheese?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of French Taxd'habitation due on 15th, quite what difference that may make I've no idea. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio wrote:
Will be at a 1-year high by close of trading today, I reckon...

Optimistic, but I like your thinking! Smile

Seems it hit the high in January this year, so if it follows a similar pattern it could be worth waiting until then to get a better exchange rate.. Shame we don't get the actual exchange rate on our currency conversions.

Currently €1.16 to the £1 on http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's currently over 1.19. I'm on about market rate, not whatever the high street will give you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am keeping a close eye on the market rate too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/13/intraday.stm

52 week high could well be within reach by the end of the day: 1.20450

Just wishing that we could get something close to that in the high street..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1.183 available if you can get to ICE in London

http://www.iceplc.com/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=iceplc.com&state=survey&action=display&survey=10&menu=branchcollection&suppress_header=yes&zone=waterloo

Sorry! don't know how to do that clever thing to make the weblink shorter!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if you go to Europe often (and to the same country) it could be worth opening a bank account there, I get far more favorable conversion rates on the continent than in the UK.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DJL wrote:
1.183 available if you can get to ICE in London

ICE Waterloo

Just type in the HTML for the link instead of using the [ URL] button:

Code:
<a href="http://www.iceplc.com/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=iceplc.com&state=survey&action=display&survey=10&menu=branchcollection&suppress_header=yes&zone=waterloo" target="_blank">ICE Waterloo</a>

Thanks - have printed the voucher and will be down there first thing tomorrow - as it's on my way to work!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If the euro weakens against the pound, the inlaws out in Spain may stop panicing that they can't afford to live in their villa any more and stop threatening to come home and derail me and the missuses cheap summer holiday plans... Is it wrong to wish an entire economic trading block to spiral downwards just so I don't have to pay for a summer break?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nope, I do the same on a regular basis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways, homers double, same here!
snow conditions
Then I shall continue the voodoo curse. I'll need more pins to poke into this tiny effigy of Mario Draghi's wallet Twisted Evil .
latest report
 cran
cran
airbornebadger wrote:
if you go to Europe often (and to the same country) it could be worth opening a bank account there, I get far more favorable conversion rates on the continent than in the UK.

Most of them also have bank charges too...

So worth doing as long as you save more than it costs to have the account.
snow report
LloydsTSB today offering 1.12. Got it commission free so not too bad.
snow conditions
1.15 at the PO the other day.
snow report
Just got back from Estonia and my overall holiday average rate has come to 1.1 pretty much exactly... I should probably try harder to get better exchange rates shouldn't I...
ski holidays
DJL, that rate's insane! Shame it's so far from Cheltenham. Sad Still, Caxtonfx are up to 1.163, and will probably improve on that tomorrow.

Dr John, you really need to shop around more. Shocked
latest report
1.158 at Sainsburys today. As I got some today it will definitely go up in the next few days
ski holidays
andyph, time and convenience are precious to me
snow conditions
1.17 from my Santander Zero account earlier today Happy
ski holidays
Dr John, one text and my € card is ready to use in minutes. Doesn't get much more convenient. And no, I'm not on commission. wink
ski holidays
andyph, Sounds interesting, explanation required please or link to appropriate thread.
snow conditions
Megamum, This maybe

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/
latest report
cad99uk, That's an interesting thing. How does it win over drawing against putting a GBP VISA into a foreign ATM and drawing Euros, presumably you have to pay an exchange rate with both mechanisms?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyph,

I take it you are using Caxtonfix? Do you find you get charged at the ATMs in Europe? Are ATMS easy to come by in smaller resorts? I tend to use M&S, ok rates and get my points. Working out the Caxtonfix rate against M&S, it is better, but not a great deal if only getting say £500 worth of euros, then if you add on the ATM charges, it diminishes. Although a safer option having it on a card. Interested though, had a look on their website and looks very convenient.
latest report
andyph, another card. Yes, that's exactly what I need.
ski holidays
Gilly28, No charges from ATM's or using as a pre paid MasterCard. No charges to top up, you can do it anywhere you have Internet access. You do have a commission charge if you draw GBP in UK though.
For anything Euro there are no charges.
Just checked the rate it's at €1.61 at the moment.
snow conditions
ricfrench wrote:

Just checked the rate it's at €1.61 at the moment.

I'll take £10K please
ski holidays
DJL wrote:

Do [url= then put the www address, then close square bracket, then put whatever phrase in blue you want to be clicked on, then do [/url]
snow conditions
right then, what do you think, honest i won't hold you personally responsible.
Do I load the Euro card at 1.165 or do i hang on for a bit?
will be loading it with £12-1300 worth so a small gain/loss makes a differance.
so what say ye?

Colin B, OOPPss might have the 6 and the 1 the wrong way round. T1T
latest report
ricfrench, Split it. £600 now and £600 next week. We've transfered the money we need for the apartment bils now and I'm hangng on before I get the folding money to take with us.

Clearly this is sitting on the fence. I'll never make a currency trader (but probably won't go bust either).
snow report
I didn't realise that's how those cards worked. I was thinking of getting one and assumed you loaded it in pounds but when you used it abroad it offered you a charge free transaction at better than normal bank rate (so if you'd used it today in a Euro country, it would have converted at 1.165 whereas if you'd used your high street bank card it would have converted at, say, 1.12 and probably charged you a percentage on top). I liked the idea of the convenience of not having to worry that you're getting fleeced for commission and a high street exchange rate... if you have to keep watching exchange rates and wondering if and when you should top up and by how much, it doesn't seem quite as convenient as before...
latest report
miranda, you basically buy the currancy with pounds and Euro's get loaded onto the card. Pretty much the same as buying cash but its just in plastic form.
As DJL, says if I loaded it now with £600 at 1.165 the balance on the pre pay card would be 699 Euro.
snow conditions
miranda, The big advantage of these cards(cantonFx)is zero charges when used.They are basically a pre-loaded card,which you then use as a debit card.The disadvantages are...you pre-load it so when its gone its gone(its not a credit card),and.....you really need to watch exchange rates,and take advantage of any improvement which,as you say,can be a bit of a faff.However,Canton consistantly beats High St rates,so is useful...but you need to manage it to take full advantage.
The alternative is a CC like Halifax Clarity,which converts at bank rates,with no charges for purchases.There is an interest charge for cash withdrawals,but its pretty low,and is compensated by getting the best rate.
The worst thing you can do is use a standard bank card,you will get hammered!Closely followed by High St currency buys.Today,the 'actual' rate is a spit off 1.20,but the best rate in my High St was 1.12.....pretty poor by comparison Sad
latest report
I need some € for Italy in Feb but will they still be using Euros by then. DJL, I am really on the fence.
snow report
First Choice travel agents will 'price match'. So, simply ask them to price match against a desirable number that you've invented which 'an internet cafe round the corner is offering'.

That's what, er, a friend of mine used to do.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy