Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to BSM for Villaroger

Poster: A snowHead
Last year we drove from Salisbury, took the Channel Tunnel and hacked it down to BSM in a day. My navigator is only 10 and is more interested in playing games on the lap top, reading, eating or listening to music - and who can blame him. I am prepared to travel this way again but wonder if the collective brains and experience in this wonderful forum could offer me advice on how they would do this trip.

I am open to flying but we are going out on Saturday 25th March and return on Saturday 1st April - seems that some of the low cost airlines stop the GVA schedule before then.

Options seem to be drive, fly-drive or let the train take the strain ( we would be collected from BSM if we take the train ).

What would you do that was most time and cost effective?

CP
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CP, depends on numbers, if there are more than 3 of you then self-drive is probably the best cost option, provided you can stand the monotomy. There are low cost fares on SNCF called PREMS which can be booked between 60 -14 days in advance of travel but they do get booked out very quickly and are restricted in numbers. If you can make it in 10 hours then that is probably as fast as you could do it by flying, add up the drive to the airport, early check in, flight, queue for baggage, wait for your transfer, wait for the other paasengers from different flights etc. If just depends if you want to drive for 800 odd kilometres and whetehr or not you have someone to share the driving.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David@traxvax, Just the two of us and as much as SP would like to drive I just can't bring myself to let him have a go quite yet - he is only 10 Very Happy

I compared the door to door time of out two trips last season and the drive took 2 to 3 hours longer than the GVA - LYS coach transfer to La Rosiere. I can't say I felt anymore refreshed by the later either.

CP
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CP, from Salisbury you're virtually next door to Flybe/Southampton. I know they've a scheduled last flight on March 25th to Chambéry, just an hour from BSM. Can't you go a week early? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, Afraid not, SP is at school until 24th and I have already booked us in with Optimum.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CP, Have a good week - we're there the week before snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CP, a long way off, but let me know if you would like to meet up - I often start skiing from Villaroger, might be able to bring my 10 year old lad along too!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski, Are you with Optimum? Is it your first time there?

PG, I will PM you and get a phone number for you nearer the time, it would be good to meet up one of the days we are there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP, Oh yes, and oh no Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I received the Optimum brochure this week and thought it looked good........but how do you get there from Scotland? Driving is not an option I am considering !! We can get flights to Geneva, but what is best after that?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin, ski, Have they stopped teaching altogether? I have had lots of tuition there, all of it good. There was no mention of it on the website Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The brochure says tuition is from New Generation in Les Arcs though they do seem to offer guided ski weeks (not sure who is doing the guiding)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny, Don't think they teach anymore. Still a great place tho' Haven't read the brochure. Just looking forward to the fluffy stuff between the trees Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New Gen are down in Peisey and are not keen on picking up clients from 1800, forget Villaroger - how did it work? They couldn't be further away.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP, We've used the direct Eurostar, leaving Waterloo on Friday nights and coming back the following Sat night for the past 3 years. Virtually stress free, although getting to sleep on the way over is difficult due to general excitement!! A few beers help. Takes you direct to BSM and you can manage 2 extra days skiing (Fatigue willing). I know it was booked pretty solid for half term but they were putting on extra trains for busy periods this year.
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
Colin, ski, Have they stopped teaching altogether? I have had lots of tuition there, all of it good. There was no mention of it on the website Puzzled

Martin does not teach very much at all anymore, I think he did the half term week last year and that was it. They are going to provide 'Ski Hosting' this season and I believe that Hugh will be the victim, or will it be us? As for guiding I think they still use the guy from ESF, he used to do the off piste days on the courses.

I too have been on courses there, but that was back in the days Of Chalky - anybody else remember him here?

CP
ski holidays
CP, Oh Yes, I was taught by Chalky, and Martin. Also Phil, Ali, and Chris. The guy from the ESF was Christian Bourngand (sp)- I think, owner of the gold boots. I have done one of his off piste days, memorable. wink
ski holidays
snowbunny, I seem to have managed to send my own topic down another rat hole.

Getting back on topic - how do you get there?

CP
latest report
CP, I used to get there on the snowtrain. Also by air to Geneva/Lyon (not recc.) I have also driven there wink
ski holidays
snowbunny, Best offer so far is on expedia - LHR to LYS on BMI ( decent time of day too ) complete with car hire £340 - The snowtrain is coming out £100 or so more.

How long is the drive from Lyon Airport? I am thinking 2.5 hours - is this about right, PG, I know will be able to correct me if I am wrong. Oops I may have to add some for traffic congestion on a Saturday I guess.

CP
snow report
CP, A good 2.5 hours, PG, will be the expert on Saturday congestion, and how to avoid it wink
snow report
CP, at least 2.5 hrs on a Saturday. there are some rat runs but in high season the Gendarmes are stationed to stop drivers using the small roads which run parallel to the N90.
snow report
David@traxvax, How much time would you say from GVA on a Saturday - 3.5 hours?

CP
snow report
I've encountered jams all the way from Bourg to just after Aime a couple of times last season - on one occasion when I was picking snowskisnow up from Chambéry it added 90 minutes to the journey - instead of 1hr 10mins it took nearly 2hrs 45mins.

Saturday travel is murder. D@T is right to have Sunday transfers for his chalet. If I had to travel from the UK on a Saturday in the busy period I would cough up the extra for the snow train, definitely.
ski holidays
CP, the time of the flight makes some difference as well, but from Geneva or Lyon a comfortable drive of little more than two hours in the off season can take twice as long.
snow report
PG, It's not every Saturday that is a pain, is it? I am thinking that the 25th March should be okay(ish) as it is still not main Easter holiday week.

Got to say the Snowtrain is looking more attractive by the minute.

CP
ski holidays
CP, it can be double that, you only have to see the continuous jams from Val D & Tignes along the N90, I dread having to go down to BSM on a Sat in high season, it can take over an hr just to get through Bourg.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy