Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jacket hoods. What is going on.

Poster: A snowHead
I went to Snow and Rock in Hemel yesterday to buy a jacket. Every jacket there bar one (which was a sort of black puffer-jacket) had a dangly hood or detachable dangly hood. What is going on - I don't want a hood catching the wind behind me or collecting snow. And if I detach it I'm not going to take off my jacket in a snowstorm to re-attach it. .. (what happened to the angry emoticon?)
All my previous jackets had a stow-away hood. Why have they changed?
Has anyone seen any that have stow-away hoods (and are not exorbitant)? (I found a Killy one at nearly £600 on the web). Otherwise it looks like I'll make do with my tatty one and wait for next year.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, I had that concern, got a jacket with hood, had no issues with it at all.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have to say I prefer a "proper" hood, I find the stowaway ones a bit flimsy, but each to their own as they say.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my experience stowable hoods don't offer enough protection from the elements when a storm really blows in... but I like my hoods to work in a Scottish winter so find that even designs from some major equipment makers are not normally good enough. But I don't notice my hood flapping around when skiing with it down... having tried to extract a rolled away hood with a pack on it is a contortion I can't manage so I like being able to just flip it up / down.... sorry.. this isn't really help you... Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My last one had a more substantial wired hood which folded and then was held by poppers.

However, if it doesn't tend to catch the wind and get full of snow, perhaps I'm making a fuss about nothing. Is that what other people find?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah. The folded away ones were poor (the definition I which will vary...). It may be a change that takes some adjusting too, but it'll be worth your while to do so (unless the £600 option can be found for less. Presumably they can't all be bad; just not as good, and not as popular, perhaps).

Parallels to carving skis spring to mind. Out with the old, in with the new!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No wish to be controversial, but you don't really need a hood if you wear a helmet.

I took mine off and I leave it at home.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I take my main hood off (wear helmet) but the jacket (Head) has a stowaway light stretchy balaclava, which goes well under the helmet if necessary.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish wrote:
No wish to be controversial, but you don't really need a hood if you wear a helmet.

Have been grateful of the extra protection from having a hood that fits over my helmet several times when it's windy and snowing. Maybe I'm just a wimp!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't generally like hoods, so prefer (a) no hood, (b) zip off hood or (c) roll-away hood. I tend to wear a helmet for skiing and wither a Tilley hat (with a brim to keep the rain off my specs and out of my neck), or a folding cap like this.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, I agree, I much prefer a stowaway one. If I leave it attached it flaps around in the wind, so more often than not don't have it on at all, and rely on helmet, buff, etc .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not something I ever particularly look for but if you get any vaguely mountainerring style shell chances are you can roll the hood down and use the volume adjust and the little press stud loop inside the collar to secure it. I generally fine hood is good for keeping weather out around the neck even when down (almost never wear it up except on particuarly brutal chair rides).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball wrote:
However, if it doesn't tend to catch the wind and get full of snow, perhaps I'm making a fuss about nothing. Is that what other people find?

If it's actually snowing, yes, the hood WILL catch snow!

Though you could minimize that by pushing the lip of the hood against the base of the collar, and wrap it round your neck. If the hood stays in that position, it won't fill with snow.

I don't think it catches much wind. Certainly not enough to put me off balance. So I don't notice any effect.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I take a balaclava (thin silk or fleece/lycra depending on the temp.) better face coverage than a hood and doesn't get in the way. Could wear under a helmet (I don't wear one) if needed.

Detachable hood could be useful out and about in the evening/airport days if the wetaher is nasty.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
excellent thread!

i sometimes wear a synthetic-downstyle light puffy (you know the kind of thing) inside my shell on extra cold days - BOTH jackets have hoods!!!

it aint easy being this cool, but on the plus side both are the perfect colour combo with my dropseat pants - any thread about hoods should surely include a mention about the relative merits (and hazards Shocked ) of a dropseat?

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
snowball, Obviously I don't know about their mens jackets, but my Eider has a nice stowaway hood.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
My last one had a more substantial wired hood which folded and then was held by poppers.

I was really concerned about this when I got my last jacket.

I always wear a back pack, and can honestly say it's not been an issue. I've skinned with it, skied in -20 with it in blustery wind, in fresh heavy snow (where it was useful over my helmet) and never found it an issue...

best pic I can found of said hood that isn't an issue Wink I'm on the left with the black jacket and hood

snow report
I've used the one on the Eider once and was pleasantly surprised to find that it had clear sides so I could still see clearly and also that it was roomy enough to pull over my helmet.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Not something I ever particularly look for but if you get any vaguely mountainerring style shell chances are you can roll the hood down and use the volume adjust and the little press stud loop inside the collar to secure it. I generally fine hood is good for keeping weather out around the neck even when down (almost never wear it up except on particuarly brutal chair rides).

Never thought of that. I'll look into it next time I look.

As for taking it off - here have been times when it rains on lower slopes and other times when you tighten up the hood draw string to keep the exposed skin to an absolute minimum and a woolly hat is just not enough.
snow conditions
I've only ever had 4 jackets, (never changing with the fashions), and I've always had a fold away lightweight hood. But, I've only used the hood around 1 day in 20 over the years. In snow usually I find a simple woolly hat sufficient. As for snowball, I've only skied in the rain a couple of times - seriously!
snow conditions
Quote:

I take a balaclava (thin silk or fleece/lycra depending on the temp.) better face coverage than a hood and doesn't get in the way.

You do realise that these are now illegal in France!
ski holidays
I wonder if the French law about not covering your face extends to balaclavas worn while skiing.
ski holidays
External hoods suck.

Spend whatever it takes to get a concealed hood and look the Don.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Can't "look" anything when no one's looking!

If I remember correctly, snowball "spends whatever it takes" to go off the pistes. Who's there to "look"? Rocks? I doubt they could tell the difference. Wink
latest report
Not sure whether or not Arcteryx falls into the exhorbitent category, but my new Sidewider AR has a stowaway hood and cost about $300.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Can't "look" anything when no one's looking!

If I remember correctly, snowball "spends whatever it takes" to go off the pistes. Who's there to "look"? Rocks? I doubt they could tell the difference. Wink

If they are skiing around on their own like a loser, then they should join the hood posse.
ski holidays
I thought the idea was they were thin ones so that you could tuck them inside at the back or roll them up a bit for extra warmth
around the neck when not in use
ski holidays
Is this the Southpark thread? Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:

This. If you use a shell of any kind (soft or hard) the hood will be relatively thin and lightweight and pack away in some fashion. It'll also do a reasonable job of keeping the weather out. Its only insulated jackets which have big bulky hoods after all.
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:

I took mine off and I leave it at home.

snowHead

I use my hood (stow-away) over my helmet (oh dear, thinking mucky thoughts now Embarassed ) if the weather's bad, it protects my face NehNeh
ski holidays
I like a proper full-weight hood that rolls up out of the way.

I also like a proper storm flap on the front of the jacket.

Both remarkably difficult to achieve unless top Mountain jacket.
latest report
how about a wee bit of Velcro to stop a Hood acting as a parachute of snow collector
might not be a good idea if you have an Afro Happy
latest report
I'm looking for a new shell and now I'm all a quandry about hoods thanks to this thread. Sad
latest report
Quote:

I'm looking for a new shell and now I'm all a quandry about hoods thanks to this thread.

Why, what has changed your mind?

For me:
1) Fixed hood, none of this detachable nonsense.
2) No requirement to fold away. It's never been a problem and I don't like a bulky neck when it's rolled up - gimmick imo.
3) Hood must be part of the collar, not a collar with a seperate hood as Arc'Teryx seem to favour.
4) Big enough to go over my climbing helmet, reduce down well if I've got a beanie on.
latest report
galpinos wrote:
Quote:

I'm looking for a new shell and now I'm all a quandry about hoods thanks to this thread.

Why, what has changed your mind?

Nothing really but I hadn't thought about them and I have a terrible habit of wanting to make sure I buy exactly the right thing and this just adds one more criteria. Very Happy

Your hood criteria are pretty much mine. Am looking at jackets like the Rab Momentum/ME Kamchatka at the moment.
snow conditions
Quote:

Am looking at jackets like the Rab Momentum/ME Kamchatka at the moment.

Which fits better? I'd be more worried about fit than having a roll-away hood. Rab and ME have quite different cuts.
latest report
galpinos wrote:
Quote:

Am looking at jackets like the Rab Momentum/ME Kamchatka at the moment.

Which fits better? I'd be more worried about fit than having a roll-away hood. Rab and ME have quite different cuts.

Heh, I'm not really that worried about the hood... Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Which fits better?

get the ME Kalanka - it's made of stretchy Goretex wink

I detest fixed hoods.

Heck, did I just agree with Whitegold? Shocked
ski holidays
Hoods over helmets make you look like a dildo.

I just zipped mine off and haven't used it since. Not even sure where it is.
latest report
bobmcstuff, at least Im a warm dildo
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy