Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colltex or G3 - any views?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm about to buy several pairs of skins for other people.

Am probably going for the G3 brand as that is what my local shop sells. My own pair is Colltex, which I've been very impressed by.

Any views on whether G3s are just as good, or should I track down Colltex ones...? G3s are certainly very pretty!

Eek - just realised I should've posted this in Gear - sorry - don't know how to change it...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All other things being equal I would just about go Colltex, but if it is easier or cheaper to get G3 I'd go with them and not lose sleep over it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1

Colltex prefered, G3 also good. I'd stay away from Gecko though.

Test in German, the skins with "Alpin-Tipp" are good.
http://www.testberichte.de/a/skitourenfell/magazin/alpin-1-2009/139532.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Climbing Skins Direct - as good if not better than anyone else and cheaper Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for climbing skins direct, they are holding up well with approx. 50 days on them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I've seen postulated that Colltex might be better for Euro snow, G3 for N American by virtue of where they are designed and tested but I think that that's a level of tech nerdiness beyond the remit of most people who are still capable of semi functioning in a social environment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a pair of Colltex skins on a set of Movement Freeheels, and a pair of G3 skins that came with some G3 Tickets. The Tickets and the Freeheels have an identical asymetric shape so the skins were interchangeable. I kept the Tickets and the Colltex skins and sold the rest on (the Freeheels were mkII's, which were never as good as the mkI's). The G3 skins look like they might wear better if you do a lot of miles, but they didnt seem to work as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really rate Colltex. I've previously got them at sensible cost from http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/colltex/c-skins/f/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+2 for Climbing Skins Direct, they seem very robust and the cheapest you'll find.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MountainMaid, I've had both and found both fine - no huge preference either way, i'n generally a fair-weather tourer though so maybe havent fully tested their limitations
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, *fails to build meaningful relationships with other human beings. Debates additional weight of different skin attachments designs* Interesting theory. I like it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IMV, the choice of brand is broadly imaterial.

What you need to be asking is whether they should be mohair, synthetic or mixed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
altis wrote:
What you need to be asking is whether they should be mohair, synthetic or mixed.

I was thinking ......
For long flatter tours, 100% Mohair e.g. Colltex CT40
For steeper tours 100% synthectic e.g. G3 Alpinist
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy