Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Own up - who cancelled their holiday a week or two ago ?

Poster: A snowHead
If you look at the OMG no snow thread (and others) there's plenty of people who said they were cancelling due to the lack of snow. Did you do it ? Are you now scrabbling around for a last minute deal ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could be a short thread this

Who would admit it !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I waited for a last minute deal for Christmas (as always). No worries about whether there would be snow - more concerned at the possibility of spending Christmas with the MiL Skullie

It's never too much of a gamble - there is still availability to Canada and USA. It's merely a matter of how much money you have to spend to find the snow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm still holding fire on my Dolomites trip third week of January. It's only a month away, and there's STILL not more than a smidgen of snow to go at.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

plenty of people who said they were cancelling due to the lack of snow

I don't think there were "plenty of people" cancelling, actually. Though stanton said all the Dutch and Germans were cancelling, which should free up a few lift queues. Little Angel
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nothing booked until Jan, but now I'm seriously looking at flying out this weekend for a few days...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last, About 30cm forecast over the next week, though, according to the SCGB website (which may not mean very much but keeps me a bit hopeful). It wouldn't be enough but it would be a good start.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What would be the point of actually cancelling? You wouldn't get any refunds. Surely you would just not go, if there was no snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sah, Do it, just got back from St Anton early hours today after 3 days fantastic skiing, fresh tracks and so quiet. Nobody about at all, big snow yesterday pm and its perfect, loads of B&B availability and chilled feel in town, pre the rush!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:
What would be the point of actually cancelling? You wouldn't get any refunds. Surely you would just not go, if there was no snow.

I would assume those canceling would be those who had just booked a hotel and possibly paid a deposit (e.g. the germans and dutch, referred to above, who would have driven down). Around about last week they might have been due to pay the full amount, so then would have been the time to cancel I guess...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 13-12-11 12:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bar shaker, Allot of the Europeans who go self service outside of the TO structure used by the majority of British tourists.

So they have either not booked or have placed small deposits or none on accomidation and cancelling is not such a big deal
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fattes13 wrote:
bar shaker, Allot of the Europeans who go self service outside of the TO structure used by the majority of British tourists.

So they have either not booked or have placed small deposits or none on accomidation and cancelling is not such a big deal

Yep, when I speak to people in the Alps they are pretty surprised that Brits pay up so early. If you book with the hotel you often just pay a deposit, and even that is sometimes refundable up to a certain point. I just booked a place in St Anton for January that required no deposit at all. Last year I paid a deposit of €200 for a place in Radstatt, but that was refundable had we not gone (I'm not quite sure what the point is of a refundable deposit, but I wasn't going to argue).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bar shaker wrote:

Would you? It depends on how generous your employer is with holiday. I guess one could hire a car, but I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck in, say, Tignes, in the depths of winter, an hour's drive (inevitably in fog) to the bottom of the hill. And if the UK's airports are closed owing to snow... so your week's drinking in a hotel bar in an empty resort took you hours and hours and hours to get to...

If I could "work from home" from being on holiday, I might agree.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, I agree. That is why is said you would not go.

Interesting about people getting their money back with a week or so to go.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Last year I paid a deposit of €200 for a place in Radstatt, but that was refundable had we not gone (I'm not quite sure what the point is of a refundable deposit, but I wasn't going to argue).

sah, it proves a level of commitment from the guest. Whether a credit-card or a IBAN transfer the fact that you have gone to the level of effort required to commit funds proves that a no-show is very unlikely.
latest report
Quote:

e.g. the germans and dutch, referred to above, who would have driven down

A lot of the German traffic will be weekend only (apart from maybe Christmas/NewYr?). Dutch and Northern Germany may be more week at a time.

Plenty of hotels can be secured on a credit card. Total cost is €0.00 if you bail the day before arrival day.
snow report
Mate landed a ridiculously cheap super-last minute deal between snow falling and last Sunday when he arrived in Courchevel, and is now taunting me with text messages with tales of fresh snow and empty lifts. I intend to send a tip-off security at Gatwick that he's smuggling contraband into the UK using 'Nature's Pocket'... That'll learn him! Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Plenty of hotels can be secured on a credit card. Total cost is €0.00 if you bail the day before arrival day.

not always; read the small print. You have probably entered into a contract. Terms vary a lot. It is also pretty rude.
snow report
Mine clearly states by 18:00 on arrival day. Although I will admit I've never cancelled, or needed to because the snow forgot to arrive.
OK it costs €10 more than prepaid in full up front, but that's hardly going to break the bank.
snow report
pam w, those of us with European-based bank accounts have the luxury that andy describes. I have only ever had to pay a deposit for accommodation run by Brits out here. I have never been asked for a deposit, even for my 5* hotel accommodation, and the one time I was going to be unable to use it because of an injury, they actually upgraded me to a suite next to their private accommodation at no extra cost. So instead of cancelling I went, my friends skied and I was pampered in the Wellness area, free of charge! A clever ploy that ensured repeat business and the wonderful free publicity of "Mund-Propoganda" (word of mouth).
ski holidays
As we are fortunate enough to have our own apartment the only thing we would have lost would have been our Eurotunnel booking. Being utterly kn*ckered after the last three years' economic turmoil, I was almost looking forward to an old-fashioned Christmas week of films, board games and Quality Street, but I know I would have been climbing the walls by Wednesday
snow conditions
Quote:

I was almost looking forward to an old-fashioned Christmas week of films, board games and Quality Street, but I know I would have been climbing the walls by Wednesday

I'd have no problem - we spend weeks and weeks at our apartment at any time of the year, and haven't climbed the walls yet. And you don't need to lose a eurotunnel booking - just change it! They last a year.
ski holidays
I'd have still gone if there hadn't been any snow - rather have a week in a chalet getting my meals cooked for me and going hiking/swimming/ice skating/watching DVDs etc than a week at home.
snow report
We've altered our Eurotunnel crossings quite often. I book for the days I want to travel, then if plans need to change amend it later. Even moved a booking for March to July on one occasion.
snow report
sanman wrote:
As we are fortunate enough to have our own apartment the only thing we would have lost would have been our Eurotunnel booking. Being utterly kn*ckered after the last three years' economic turmoil, I was almost looking forward to an old-fashioned Christmas week of films, board games and Quality Street, but I know I would have been climbing the walls by Wednesday

Me too! Very Happy
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
sah, Do it, just got back from St Anton early hours today after 3 days fantastic skiing, fresh tracks and so quiet. Nobody about at all, big snow yesterday pm and its perfect, loads of B&B availability and chilled feel in town, pre the rush!

Happy I know. I saw your message on another thread... that is where I would go, naturally. Need to persuade my wife that all the xmas shopping isn't so important.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
pam w, those of us with European-based bank accounts have the luxury that andy describes.

Not sure I understand how the second half of that statement follows from the first? If you have a European account then they can sue you more easily? And if not, why do they bother with deposits for anybody?
snow report
James the Last, If they ask for a credit card number, we give it but nothing is booked against it even when we cancel. It works like a dream. Mostly, though I have never even had to give that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I usually give the CC no. but that's mainly to secure the room for late arrival. Usually get to Innsbruck (for example) at 11pm or thereabouts.
ski holidays
andy,

Booking.com is a good one for no deposit!!!!
snow conditions
JasonW, it is also quite clear if they are going to charge your card, and when cancellation charges apply.
snow report
sah wrote:
Fattes13 wrote:

Yep, when I speak to people in the Alps they are pretty surprised that Brits pay up so early. If you book with the hotel you often just pay a deposit, and even that is sometimes refundable up to a certain point. I just booked a place in St Anton for January that required no deposit at all. Last year I paid a deposit of €200 for a place in Radstatt, but that was refundable had we not gone (I'm not quite sure what the point is of a refundable deposit, but I wasn't going to argue).

I can't help but notice a big difference on how the brit's holiday vs. people I know (American), and now the Europeans.

Seems to me Brit's are "planners"? Booking holiday months ahead, got insurance against anything that makes it impossible to use the holiday, then insurance to make sure you can actually enjoy it. All bases covered.

Americans, for example, rarely buy travel insurance. Ski injury insurance is unheard of. Surprisingly enough, majority of hoteliers will often allow cancellation even if it's PAST the cancellation deadline! Airlines goes one step further. If you can produce a doctor's note that you should not travel (or participate on what the flight's intended activity, e.g. skiing), they'll refund the flight cost! So very little incentive to buy travel insurance.

Recently, a travel company purposely hide the condition of our route from us, making it impossible for anyone who has insurance to cancel and claim their money back! That won't do much to motivate peeps to buy insurance, or book in advance.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Americans, for example, rarely buy travel insurance. Ski injury insurance is unheard of.

Because they already have to pay medical insurance for illness and injury presumably, unlike Brits...
ski holidays
a public thanks for all those who cancelled coming to the Three Valleys this week, beautiful conditions and no one here Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
miranda wrote:
abc wrote:

Americans, for example, rarely buy travel insurance. Ski injury insurance is unheard of.

Because they already have to pay medical insurance for illness and injury presumably, unlike Brits...

More precisely, most American medical insurance includes worldwide coverage for emergency treatment of acute illness and injuries.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
a public thanks for all those who cancelled coming to the Three Valleys this week, beautiful conditions and no one here Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Absolutly agree - all quiet here too!
snow report
Brits don't have to pay insurance for medical treatment at home, so have nothing to cover them for expensive treatment abroad, and therefore take out temporary travel insurance - I'm not sure that's evidence of Brits being a nation of "planners" in comparison to Americans. However, the real difference I think we notice here is school holidays, and in particular half term. We were fully booked for the English February half term 2012 (which unfortunately this year also seems to be a UK-wide holiday) before the end of January 2011. The French stagger their half term over 4 weeks and so get to relax about availability a bit more. The furthest in advance confirmed booking we've had to date has been 16 months before arrival ... a lovely-sounding family from... the USA wink

In terms of this season, I had 2 friends ask me yesterday and today how we were coping with the lack of snow. Neither of them ski, so it's not like they've been weather watching. They were really surprised to hear just how much snow had fallen and was forecast given what they'd heard/read in the news about the Alps.

Although our bookings for this season in general are up on last year, we are really quiet in our opening week (the 17th) compared to last year. No one's cancelled, but not many people have booked either despite it being a relatively cheap week.
latest report
miranda wrote:
I'm not sure that's evidence of Brits being a nation of "planners"

The brits defo are planners..without a doubt!

Most of my friends book their holidays well in advance, over a year ahead on many occasions. A lot of snowheads evidently do the same.

When I organised my honeymoon, 6 months ahead, I was late by UK standards and most stuff on the UK tour operators was already booked/sold. In France, the brochures/catalogues weren't even out yet for that period of time.
snow report
Kruisler, yes, the majority of our guests are British and French and so we obviously see the difference in French/British booking patterns (not surprising for us really seeing as the French can just hop in the car and go to wherever is available, rather than risking paying £££ on a late Easyjet flight etc.) It's been a learning experience for us and we finally feel a bit more relaxed about French bookings (remembering we've not been around very long) because we now understand that they will come, but they will book very late unless they are returning guests.

I just didn't think that buying ski injury insurance when travelling abroad is evidence of the British being planners in comparison to Americans!
ski holidays
Quote:

The brits defo are planners

Quote:

A lot of snowheads evidently do the same

Very definitely. Before sH was about, and back when you'd go to a travel agency to book a holiday, I'd never even think about picking up a brochure until 1st September. The brochures weren't even out until then! (apart from the very pre-booking ones, where all they want is to get your deposit a year up front to lock you in).

Since I Joined sH... I can't believe how many people seem desperate to get next years holiday sorted by the end of the previous season. September is far to late for them, by *months*. For me, that had just been serial rebookers who always go back to the same place.

The only planning I do, is to allocate annual leave to the weeks I pretty much know when I'll be skiing, MTBing, etc., and prebook a couple of weekends here and there with the option to cancel.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy