Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone flown Air Canada with skis recently?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been having a look to see how much extra the ski carriage would be and it looks like if we take two bags and the ski bag (we're 2 adults and an 8 year old) then we wouldn't have to pay anything extra but if we take three bags plus skis then it's $50 each way for the additional bag - would have been $70 if we'd booked later than 1st July. Anyway I also noticed this on the Air Canada website:

Packing instructions

Skis and poles, snowboard or wakeboard must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping.

Really?! We need to buy a hard shell container?? We've got a double, semi padded ski bag that's been fine for all our other trips. I hadn't anticipated having to buy a new ski bag.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should probably have searched first! rolling eyes

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1896837&highlight=air+canada#1896837
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi geetee,

We've flown recently with AC and have taken skis. The hard shell container is their preference, however, they will accept normal ski bags but they will demand that you sign a waiver re damage.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
geetee, we flew in March, soft bag at our own risk (i.e our own insurance). We got free ski carriage with Ski Independence
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx and SnowMonkey69 thanks for that, I think we'll stick with our bag then.

Ski Independence have this on their website so it looks like the rules changed since March. http://www.ski-i.com/baggage-policies/air-canada
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Air Canadas website is as clear as mud. I spoke to them yesterday to enquire about helmets in hand luggage - the woman in the call centre in Delhi had no idea. When she asked me to spell h-e-l-m-e-t followed by asking what it was used fo I gave up.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mustdash, Why is a helmet in hand luggage an issue?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just give them to Steve to bring over - he won't mind paying the extra wink
BTW they've always said that about the hard ski case, but never been a problem with a soft sided one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stuarth, Now that's a good idea! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've flown with Air Canada a number of times and never had an issue with using a normal double ski bag and never had an issue plus I have put lots of my clothes etc in with them too. No-one has ever queried it nor have I had to sign a disclaimer... Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK next question is do you know if I can pay in advance for the ski bag i.e. now rather than wait until check-in time? I don't want them to try and stitch me up with $70 each way when I booked the tickets before the 1st July and therefore it should only be $50 each way.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee, in my experience if you ring Air Canada you can book it in advance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's £50 going out, $70 coming back.

And you are right about their call centre. I assumed too, that it was India. They didn't have a clue what they were talking about, barely understood plain English and i got 3 different answers from 3 different people.
When i asked them to confirm by email what they had told me, they refused. They also refused to give me their names. Shocking tbh.

Having spoken to others who have flown with them, it is adviseable to let them know you are bringing a Ski bag. As long as it's secure and less than 2 metres long and 23kg, then all should be well.

We live in hope.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spud and Alans deep bath Thanks, I'll give them a ring but wish me luck with the call centre.

It should be $50 each way for us (or whatever the sterling equivalent is for the way out) as per this on the Air Canada website:

2nd bag - Canada/U,S. to/from Europe/India:

Tickets issued before June 1, 2011: Check a 2nd bag for $50 CAD (per direction)
Tickets issued on or after June 1, 2011: Check a 2nd bag for $70 CAD (per direction)

We booked before 1st June (made a mistake above and put July).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy