Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice needed, medical ski related

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
we are due to fly out to winter park in just over 4 weeks, my wife has been struggling lately with slipped disc, she has not had mri yet but doc and physio are saying its a slipped disc. i really dont know what to do, wether to wait and see, wether to cancel. has anyone skied with similar condition.
i dont know what cancelling would mean, i obviously have insurance but not even sure wether we both can cancel. need advice as to what my options are really
thanks
graeme
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Usually spouses are ok on cancellation insurance provided you took out insurance before condition presented itself. Of course you might not want to cancel, in which case read the small print carefully on what you're covered for should her condition worsen while out there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what fatbob said. Our insurance specifically says that if there is any change in medical condition, after the policy is taken out, you have to tell them. I expect they all have the same sort of clause. So, regardless of what you decide, you need to put them in the picture asap.

One of my family went skiing with a slipped disc. They said the worst bit was having to sit on the flight - and it was only Europe; a long haul flight might be misery. Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did my back in whilst up on some scaffolding, doc said it's a slipped disc, either see physio or rest it!
Got a copy of Treat your own back by Robert McKenzie & followed plan, 3 weeks later I was out sailing Very Happy
Might not work for everyone but it did for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
graeme, really you need to give more info, age, symptoms, duration etc but in anycase do what provenjohn, says and get a copy of mckenzie, you shouldn't go too far wrong.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
graeme, I suffered the same just one and a half weeks before my first ever ski holiday. I went anyway, but was not able to fully participate in lessons because of pain in my back and leg, and weakness in my leg. I didn't really worry about the insurance aspect in those days. That disc then stabilised with chiropractic help, but the next one down went a few years later - that one needed surgery and several months of physio to get me back skiing, so that time skiing before treatment would have been very foolish. Regardingpam w, comment about the travel - I drove to/from the alps with a slipped disc - and it was painful, and very difficult to get out of the car afterwards!

Something to bear in mind is that while most prolapsed/slipped discs are not "that" serious, they can be really bad - with mt second one I was rapidly losing the ability to walk due to nerve damage - so serious that even now four years later I have limited feeling and control in my right foot and ankle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"slipped disc" is a very vague term. depends on what the underlying pathology is - is there disc prolapse, what level, does she have any leg weakness, what are her triggers and what has been her response to time / physio / analgesia. 6 weeks is usual for a prolapse to subside but can take significantly longer.

i have 2 prolapsed discs which cause me intermittant problems and when they flare up i am good for nothing, on the other hand the exercise of skiing seems to help me. i find chiropracters to be helpful but the best things are epidurals from the anaesthetists at the pain clinic but obviously this takes time and is not routine. i guess see how she is and what the MRI report is like - may make the decision easier. also maybe if she is reasonably pain free you could do a trial run at a snowdome somewhere.

bert
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As has been said it depends on the severity. I "did" my back in the Jan playing football and pretty much had sciatic pain to a fairly minimal degree but could not kick a ball for instance. I was able to ski at Easter no problem. later in June doing some DIY it completely went. I then had 9 months of real pain being unable to walk straight for any length of time. I could sit ok but not stand for long periods due to the nature of it. I had to cancel a work business trip to the States as I knew I would not be able to stand it for that long. After MRI and injections into the disk area it still did not sort itself out so I had surgery the following Feb. So missed that ski season but went to the Bahamas in the Aug and did swimming, water shoots, tube rides etc. The following season I did a family ski trip no problems and second year afterwards did a lads blast plus a family ski.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy