Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

I'm just starting out telemarking and have a couple of questions. I have managed to get myself some cheap G3 Targa bindings and some tele boots to have a play about on. I have an old pair of fairly stiff and heavy, all mountain twin tips that are a 169cm (I'm 168). I was wondering if they would be suitable to mount my tele bindings on? Alternatively, my local ski shop has a couple of pair of cheap twinnies that are between 159 and 169 and fairly soft and light. Would these possibly be better?

Finally, these is nobody around where I live that knows a lot about telemarks but one ski tech I know has said that he is happy to try and mount the bindings for me, but wondered if there was a particular place to mount tele binding. Most skis seem to have the ski centre marked. Where is best in relation to the ski centre?

I would be really grateful of any advice anyone can give. In terms of my alpine standard, I am a pretty good skier (BASI level 2 approx).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
womble_cat,
There are quite a few discussions on tele-binding mount postion. Conventional wisdom is boot pin-line on centre of chord length of ski, alternatively ball-of-foot on centre-of-running-surface
Here are a couple of links
http://www.telemarktips.com/BindingMt2.html
http://www.epicski.com/t/70549/mounting-point-for-telemark
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
womble_cat, personally, I'd go softer for your initial telemark experience. It's harder to get pressure through the skis when you telemark and a softer ski will make it easier for you to get the skis working.

Telemarking on twinnies has the downside that you can catch the tails. It'll keep you honest though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i just swapped out my alpine skis which are all pretty stiff to tele, and got on fine. Mounted boot centre line on manufacturer's line on the ski, also fine - one point to watch here though is with twins - if its a proper symmetrical twin the manufacturer's line will be bang on centre point and possibly way too far forward for anything but park antics
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Modern convention for telemarking mount (burlier bindings / boots) is circa -1 to -2cm behind the 'boot centre' line marked on the ski.

Seems like good advice to me - but I suck at tele.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, I too suck at tele, but that doesn't stop me flailing around (and offering advice). Softer would be better; I've found my stiff planks pretty hard to put pressure through.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy