Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

mixed group where to go, Sestriever,Claviere,Cervinia,Montgenevre or ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Mixed group, 1 x 20's boarder (2nd week and will have lessons), 2 x 40's 3rd week lady's skiers ( happy on blues and easy reds but will have lessons) and me 10 weeks Skier, go anywhere but prefer on piste and long reds. Also i plan to ski half day on my own then meet up for lunch most days so won't want to be heading off too far.

Looking at all the Above.
Hotel Du Col in Sestriere looks good but worried that there does not look like many blues for the lady's.
Montgenevre looks good , anyone know what Chalet Etoile des Neiges. Never tried a Chalet before so any advice.
Claviere and Cervina look good too.

We went to Val Cenis 2010 and Passo Tonale last year which we found good but fancy a change.

Any advice would help as we are planning to book this week for the week of 15th Jan.

Many Thanks in advance.
Mike
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Montgenevre will suit the leaners withs its long blues and theres plenty of reds to suit you
for basic hotel HB try Ros Mages right in the centre, or for about same price theres the ammeua apts in the new obelisque are.
there are not many moutain cafe's there but the village centre is full or eateries for lunch time and you can ski right down to them
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Within Sestriever,Claviere,Cervinia,Montgenevre only Cervinia is in Aosta Valley and linked with Zermatt making it a premium resort.

Sestriever,Claviere are Montgenevre parts of Milky Way with Montgenevre being the only French resort. In a straight line Sauze D'Olux is linked with Cesana, then Claviere which is linked to Montgenevre. Sestriere is alomost perpendicular to Cesana. Therefore for a mixed group staying at Montgenevre is right at the extreme end making skiing to the other parts of Milky Way tricky.

Location wise staying at Claviere or Cesana is best for accessing the whole of Milky Way. However both Montegenevre and Sestriere are significantlt larger and have better Apres.

The recent Turin Winter Olympic was held at Sestriere and Cesana where there are some lovely runs previously used for the Winter Olympic. There are indicated in the piste map.

The single link between Claviere and Cesana is low and seldom has good snow. Skiers are often asked to take the clairlift down to Cesana due to lack of snow.

Looking at your profiles I would recommed Sestriere. Montegenevre is more suitable for beginner group but its links to other MIlky Way resorts are rather poor.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2nd time off to claviere - on 2nd Jan this year

concur with the previous posts - but would say that with claviere / montgenevre combined ( which is easy ) as they are ontop
of each other - there will be plenty to do for yuo if you stay in claviere skiing wise - claviere however does not have a lot of bars
so is very quiet at night.

try looking at crystal - good prices in claviere that week too .

hope you have a great time
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not Claviere. Montgenevre is better than it IMO - and can't comment on the other resorts as not been. Ischgl could be a good option. Good fun parks and varied skiing. The beginners can get down hill by one of 3 gondolas if they don't fancy the ski down. Might be more expensive to get to than your resorts listed though. Oh, and the apres is fab
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gazza2, Hi, Where did you stay in Claviere ?, Yes I have been looking on Crystal. They seem to be the cheapest at the moment or has anyone else found better deals ?
Sorry I should have said, not really interested in Apres but the Lady's would like a nice hotel. I just want good sking Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, I think Claviere/Montgenevre would suit your group fine. There are some nice long reds 'over the top' linking the two resorts for you to enjoy and plenty of coasting runs for the ladies. Where to stay will be down to your preferences.

Claviere is much smaller, with just one main street with a handful of hotels, a few nice restuarants and cafes. Montgenevre has more accommodation, restaurants, a few bars and the medical centre. Montgenevre also has a greater number of pistes, although I found the Claviere pistes quieter(neither will be crazy busy). You can buy a lift pass that just covers these two resorts, which is called the Monts de lune, and still gives enough piste to ski for a week, plus one day to explore other resorts in the milky way.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still looking, What about Serre Chevalier ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you considered the Dolomites (Arabba / Selva etc) ? Great variety of skiing, snowsure, beautiful scenery, fairly reasonable prices ? I'm off to Claviere in a week but that's only because our youngest is doing a season there. I've skied in Sestriere and Sauze before but I'm not sure I would return out of choice as from memory the linkages between the Milky Way resorts are a bit clunky. Just be careful of one of the Crystal hotels in Claviere as it gets very mixed reviews on tripadvisor. We've decided to push the boat out and stay in the Bes but we normally wouldn't stay somewhere with a tariff that high and have only really decided due to the relative lack of choice in Claviere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi - we stayed in the grand claviere , its an OK hotel the rooms are huge , when we stayed it had just been taken over
and this year is being run on behalf of crystal by the new owners , the food was good, plenty of it , and this year its
all inclusive. which will help with the costs.

The town was small - three ski shops, three supermarkets. One of the ski shops seemed to sell kit that was well over the top ( both in price and style) and you needed to go in to get the normal type ski wear.

From looking at the miramonti - that was also OK - its just over the road from the grand claviere, but you doo have to walk in from the road with
you suitcase , also that was only half board ( which may suit)

There was one bar in the town that did good, basic but well priced food ( had some metal steps up to it opposite the ski shop) - where you
could get two filled rolls, and a couple of cups of coffee for 8Euros, which we found was enough for lunch if you didnt fancy eating on the slopes.

If you do go with crystal - try the raclette night ( think thats the spelling) - well worth the money !!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We stayed in Sestriere one year and got very frustrated at the links to other resorts being closed so often. But maybe not a problem for you if you are not looking to travel far away from the rest of your party? But I dont think Id recommend Sestriere for your ladies, as you mention lack of blues.

Cervinia would have more to offer but maybe more expensive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Montgenevre would be a good option and a better base than Claviere. Montgenevre has very good ski schools (we used Apeak) and plenty of easy to intermediate skiing. Claviere would not be great on a board (too many up hill bits) but the 2nd week boarder would probably find enough to do in Montgenevre and not need to venture further. Whereas you would be able to ski Montgenevre and Claviere and meet up with the others in Montgenevre for lunch.

I haven't been to Sestriere or Cervinia.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike SWest, Out of your list I'd go with Cervinia, the pistes are wide, long, and the epitome of intermediate crusing IMO. You also have access to one of the world's longest ski runs, a decent of more than 20km from the Klein Matterhorn. Cervinia is an excellent resort for mixed ability groups as there are many central meeting and eating places that most levels of skier and boarder are able to reach. Add the connection to Zermatt and it's a very attractive proposition to groups like yours.

I'm a skier but have been with boarders. Cervinia is pretty boarder friendly resort with plenty of wide runs for beginners and intermediates and few flats that spring to mind. And with the exception of the long drag lift from the Valtournenche area up to Cime Bianche Colle, most of Cervinia’s ski lifts are either chairlifts or cable cars. You've had lots of info on the various Milky Way resorts but I'll chip in a couple of my opinions. Sestiere probably has the best variety of local slopes, there's also Sauze d’Oulx but not the best base for the Milky Way and not suited to your group for various reasons.

As others have mentioned an area in the Dolomites may be the ticket. You asked about Serre-Chevalier, there's allot to like about it big vaired mountain, for it being French it's a million miles away from the purpose built eye sores some associate with France, with real charm built around real/old villages and for France food and drinks and pretty good value. Serre Chevalier’s ski area includes four ski villages - Monetier les Bains, Villeneuve, Chantemerle and Briançon, Villeneuve probably being the most popular.

As for minus's the main road running through the valley puts some people off, still allot of drags and old chairs, and limited Apres ski if that's your thing.

TBH there are loads of ski resorts that will meet your requirements. If you haven't skied in Austria yet I also suggest you give some serious consideration!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
when we were in Montgenevre 2 years ago we never used a button lift once
and as the 2 main lifts from resort have both gondolas and chairs on the same wire, the choice is yours
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was in Monty in Jan 2009. Awesome conditions and great apres. We stayed with Neilson at the Chalet Petit Clautre, which was excellent. Haven't been to the Crystal chalets but given that both of them are ensuite and seem relatively sizeable, they seem like decent deals for the price.

Nowhere is really very far from the lifts, and you shouldn't need to use buttons. There are plenty of chairs. There is a huuuge run off the back of Serre Thibaud, which runs down into Claviere, and we loved that last time out. The Prarial area has some tree runs too, if you feel adventurous.

However - forget Via Lattea for a minute - have you tried Serre Chevalier? Your boarder will love it. Awesome off-piste and incredible long intermediate runs. The Cucumelle red is particularly good.

Likely be in either Monty or Serre Che for the week after yours, so I guess we're both praying the snow holds! Very Happy
snow report
We'll be in Montgenevre 19-26 Dec 2011 and planning to write a short review as soon as I get back.

I'd probably write something while I'm there but don't know if we'll have any wi-fi access.
latest report
Cervinia is probably best all round.
Some wide gentle slopes for beginners and trips over to Zermatt for the more advanced.
It is also high and snowsure with a decent village for the evenings and days off for the not so keen.
ski holidays
Thanks for all your reply s, Only trouble is Now the snowboarder is not coming so only 3 of us, Me and my partner travelling from the south west and The other Lady from the North. Hard to find anywhere on our budget that has single rooms. Looking at the Park Hotel Folgarida Italy . Anyone know what that's like ?
snow report
that run to Claviere from Thibaud is long and deserted too
was a bit worrying really as it was ages before you could see the Montiquitaine lift and the hence back to Montgenvre
snow report
Mike
goe in the Hameau apts and ski from the door really cheap
plenty of spare cash for nice meals out at Le capitan or the Refuge
snow report
Thanks again for all your advice, But we have now booked Folgarida on the 14th Jan, as it was the best deal we could find with a single room.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy