Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hermann Maier ski school Flachau - any experience?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, glad you and the kids had a good experience. Just out of interest, what was the different way of turning that you were taught?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, He first asked us to ski for him and I did my best carving effort for him. However, as the slopes get steeper I am well aware that my stance gets wider and that this isn't such a good thing to happen. I think he saw this (and added this to the fact that we weren't young skiers!!) so he had us doing what I would call older style turns - the sort of turns that I think I saw folks doing 20+ years ago. Skis very close together, pole plant, shoulders away from the hill, turn and push the tails of the skis round almost in a little skid, 1 - pole, 2 - shoulders, 3 - push. Apparently it looked 'elegant' and I got a huge amount of praise for my efforts. I don't think it is a 'modern' turn or anything that would lead to carving turn (though you do see a lot of people skiing like it - my friend in Zurich skis in the same way a lot of the time), and I don't think I'd want to ski like it all the time, but as a demonstration of what I could achieve it was interesting:

A) I could change the way I skied very quickly when shown something different - to me that suggested that I was in control of the skis
B) I could achieve a turn with my skis far closer together than I would have believed and a turn like that could be quite effective on quite steep slopes which I was surprised at. I was also surprised that it didn't require as much physical effort to do - it may also have been less effort on my ski buddy's knees.
C) I can put in a pole plant!!!! Laughing
D) I can move my shoulder away from the slope of the hill which I think it what we try to achieve when we carve, i.e. we don't lean into the hill
E) I felt that I could use this notion of pushing the tails of the skis around the turn as a way to alter the turn shape and gain some control over the speed and that this might be linked to discussions that we have had about using some skid around the turn to control speed and turn shape.

All in all, even though it wasn't carving, it did feel a useful thing to have tried out and is another method that might have it's place when the right situation arises. For example, it will be interesting to try it out if I notice my stance getting wider as a reminder not to do it.

The children were fairly and squarely taught modern carving technique, so I don't think it should be seen as a detriment to the school that this is what happened in the lesson. I think he tried to show us something different, with less effort, that was effective, and perhaps he felt it was more appropriate to our age and obvious lack of ski fitness (he did comment I probably sat in front of a computer all day!! Laughing )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,
Quote:
he did comment I probably sat in front of a computer all day!!

Ouch! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

Doing a Pandora is registering a name (original or a sock) and proceeding to lambast an entity for perceived poor service.

No it's not. rolling eyes Try again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pandora, that's what you would like to think! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, +1 Laughing (but full credit to pandora for coming back)

pandora, have you done a search for the term? you'll find "pulling a Pandora", "throwing a Pandora" etc - you should be proud!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, but I didn't register for the purpose of my complaint, I had been a member of Snowheads for a couple of years before that. She is making misleading statements in her post, which - strangely - is what I was accused of!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pandora, whether you like it or not, the term has been derived from your Ski Beat tirades! It is used all over the place on here. Be proud of your status! Laughing

All credit to you to coming back though, perhaps the term will gradually fall out of use. but beware of protesting too much about it wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

FraserP and I were completely out-skied by our 76 yr old! instructor

I'll bet! But then it would be pointless having an instructor who couldn't outski you, wouldn't it!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pandora wrote:
Yes, but I didn't register for the purpose of my complaint, I had been a member of Snowheads for a couple of years before that. She is making misleading statements in her post, which - strangely - is what I was accused of!

My apologies, a quick search shows your earlier contributions.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, He sounds quite an inspiration - I hope I am still skiing when I get to that age

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 21-02-12 20:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
iSnowhead, I once got a free copy of the "Where to Ski and Snowboard Guide" having written a letter protesting at their having written off some ski school in Austria because the instructors were "all over 40". I told them the best ski lesson I ever had was from someone well over 50 - though he was Scottish, not Austrian. They apologised for the ageism and sent me a free copy of their book. wink

Some old instructors are poor, some young instructors are poor.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy