Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report - The Early Season Gamble Pays Off for the Val Thorens 26...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
JaMMi wrote:
Monium, what kind of GoPro is it? The video quality is awesome... And I thought I'd seen alot of the GoPro footage. Also what quality is the YouTube upload/viewing option... It might be that I suppose (maybe other people skimp on the upload size or something?).

Thanks for sharing Smile

You'll have to forgive my ignorance of these things, but all I know is that it is a Gopro Hero, not the Hero2 or anything. We are only going to use it for holiday snaps type video, and this has more than I'll ever need I think. I recorded them using video setting r5, which (according to the writing on the back of the thing) is 1080p@30fps. I honestly couldn't tell you what either of those numbers really means, but it is the highest number on the back of this camera, though other settings have 60fps (frames per second?) - I only had a 16GB card on holiday due to postage problems before we left, but I am told that a 32GB card is waiting for me and bigger cards than that exist, which means 4hrs+ of recording time available, which is probably about the real life battery limit of the camera too.

The files come out as mp4s, and they are chuffing big files, I just uploaded them straight into Youtube like they are and it worked. I am now playing with Youtube editing software to do a bit of stabilising (which is very clever, and seems to remove a lot of the shakiness from me glancing over my shoulder and being bounced around by the bumps in the piste)

Still I don't know why my links embed in the following posts, but not in the OP. Anyone?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

was interested to see just how hard the legs work to keep everything stable, even in fairly benign snow conditions

Indeed. Makes me feel tired just watching. Notice your skis are pretty close together, too - something for me to work on in powder, though Stéphane said he wasn't too bothered about that at this early stage provided the tracks were parallel! But his single track looks so much better. the shots of other skiers on your vid also underlines how hard the legs are working.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monium, thanks for the report. I was down in Meribel last week enjoying a bit too much weather at the end of the week (which ended with prolonged power cuts in Les Allues as wind and snow swept through on Friday night). I'll bear the restaurant reviews in mind for when I'm back in 3V in March. Sorry you had a rough trip home but the rest of the week sounds pretty good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent post & the videos are great too. Only minor critisim with the whole post is that I would like to know which runs each of the videos were taken on. This is purely for the selfish reason that I'm in that area from January 1st for a week.

Sorry the ending was a bit of a disappointment but I would glady put up with that as a small price to pay for a great time skiing (& eating).

Great read thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ha, Ha, with the amount of booze consumed it's a wonder we could remember what resort we were at Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
prometheus wrote:
Ha, Ha, with the amount of booze consumed it's a wonder we could remember what resort we were at Puzzled

I thought we were quite restrained really - there was wine left in the bottle most nights. OK, we had emptied several crates of beer and a few bottles of other stuff, but there was definitely some wine left. I think everyone got a bit fancy this year and decided to upgrade themselves by buying drinks from the supermarket instead of living off the free stuff snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JustJill wrote:
Monium, thanks for the report. I was down in Meribel last week enjoying a bit too much weather at the end of the week (which ended with prolonged power cuts in Les Allues as wind and snow swept through on Friday night). I'll bear the restaurant reviews in mind for when I'm back in 3V in March. Sorry you had a rough trip home but the rest of the week sounds pretty good.

I didn't realise you were in the area - we could have met up for a ski and lunch! You have to do L'Ours Blanc. Non-optional on 3V trips.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shakeywith wrote:
Excellent post & the videos are great too. Only minor critisim with the whole post is that I would like to know which runs each of the videos were taken on. This is purely for the selfish reason that I'm in that area from January 1st for a week.

Sorry the ending was a bit of a disappointment but I would glady put up with that as a small price to pay for a great time skiing (& eating).

Great read thanks.

Ah, now that would be a problem because I didn't know where we were most of the time. At one point I thought we were in Mottaret and we were in Menuires. I was only interested in two things - how long it has been since my last meal, and how long it will be until my next meal. The skiing in between is largely a distraction from those two things. I tried, where I could, to get the piste signs in the video when we passed them, so people could sort of navigate along from the video. I've got a load more to upload, but the real highlight was the depth of the snow pretty much right across Val Thorens (and now the rest of the 3V!) and the tree lined runs in Courchevel that I love. Indiens might be a kids piste, but I love crusing down there.

As each day passes, I realise that the difficulties in getting home were fairly minor in comparison to the overall trip, and also compared to being stuck in Geneva for hours and hours waiting for a flight to the UK - once we were back in the country our fate was in our hands a bit more, and they did a good job of redirecting to Chambery to get us back to the UK, most TOs would have gone to Geneva and tried to dump us on the airline for a flight we had already missed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mrs M here. I will try and post a 'sensible' trip report at some point, which will hopefully include a reasonable idea of what runs we did - I seemed to spend quite a lot of the time being navigatrix (which wasn't necessarily sensible, but at least I mainly knew which valley I was in!). When Mr M has sorted out more of the vids I'll come along and try and give an idea of where they were taken.

Mrs M.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy