Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski rental and lift tickets - is the best deal on the internet, on transfer bus or at resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Twinner is up at Obelisque area (the new end towrds Italy) but on 2 mins walk from centre
the interski one is right in the middle.
how far from the nearest lift is the chalet? some of them are behind the main village centre a street or 2
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just looked on Crystal
would guess the chalet is about level with centre of resort about 3 streets back up the hill
its not too far though
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We usually book our own flight so do not go with TO's, we book ouown ski hire and ski pass (Best Price Package) with Intersport , I think Intersport are in most resorts , we can collect our skis the day before or that day and avoid all queues, we have in the past booked ski hire etc through our Tour Operator (when we did use TO's ) but the chaos at the ski hire was a pain everyone seemed to be collecting at the same time ans it was mayhem . We get a good deal with best Price Package.HTH
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam, I booked chalet ourson through skiline although its actually a crystal chalet. After I booked, Skiline couldn't tell me what road the chalet is on because they didn't know, so I've decided to call Crystal direct tomorrow morning and ask them.

Although as milzibkit says, MontG is small, but sods law decrees that my cheap deal chalet is bound to be the furthest from the ski shop I end up with (unless I can find oout where it is and then aim-off for it).

good point wakkitt - we should arrive in resort about midday, so I'm hoping we might just be able to get on the slopes for an hour or two on first day snowHead So I hope we'll have our lift tickets the same day. I don't know if the TO reps are geared up to do that. Puzzled

Thanks snowlamb, I took another look at the resort direct booking site http://www.montgenevre.com/winter/en/resort/buy-your-pass-online.html and iit's too late to send a booking by post. At the moment it looks like a trip to pick up our tickets in person because the refillable VIP card seems to be essential.

shimmy - I can relate to your point about walking a long way (past other ski rental shops) to get to your ski shop. Its happened to me a number of times and that's one of the things I'm hoping to avoid. Yet the biggest obstacle is finding out where the chalet is. Hopefully the TOs (and agents) are reading this and realising that they can help their customers a lot more, at almost no cost and make the whole experience that much better.

Thanks all.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alicia, Intersport does look very competitive in comparison to ski set, although they don't seem to sell lift passes for Montgenenvre Sad Their shop locations seem to have a better spread of locations than ski set, at least in MontG. I wish that best price package was available in MontG. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure how yoiu work an exchange rate scam on a bus with a credit card charging in eruos?

I've generally found TO prices for passes to be same as lift office, except in Selva one year when reps were selling at normal price and ignoring all the end of season deals (like a free child for each adult pass, 7 days for 6). Rep got an earful from other guests in our hotel when i mentioned what I'd paid. Have found that Crystal rental is sometimes cheaper than either Skiset or renting in random shop, unless you are going to haggle, I usually don't have time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ghost Dog, if they are charging in euros then all is well; sometimes they ask what currency you want to pay in. if you say £'s you just need to be aware of the TO exchange rate and make your decision accordingly
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ghost Dog wrote:
Not sure how yoiu work an exchange rate scam on a bus with a credit card charging in eruos?

They almost always "offer" to charge in GBP instead. If they charge in Euros, you will almost always pay exactly the same as you would at the lift office, as you say.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ghost Dog wrote:

The transaction will be put through in London, so in sterling. Inevitably. A strange way to run things IMO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam, I've now called Crystal and they have promised to call me back in a day or two. Cust Services don't keep the address of each chalet on their system, so they have to send an email to the chalet and ask them Shocked so I hope to hear soon.

On a very positive note, I'd like to report that after checking around on lift passes, looking for best rate AND convenience (i.e. delivery to me at resort) I'd like to confirm that Crystal have again come up trumps. Their price is £177 per person for the full area pass Via Lattea (same price for adults, teens and kids). I was expecting full price of E231, and at current exchange rates this saves me £56 for the three of us and has the added benefit of getting the passes delivered to me without having to queue at the counter in MontG. BIG respect to Crystal and this has renewed my faith somewhat in the TOs (at least in this one). Also bear in mind that I booked this last minute deal through skiiline and they took my payment and act as agents for crystal.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is one of the big income streams for the Tour Ops. They will get between 5 and 10 % of the lift pass and up to 70 yes 70% (for the big ops) of the kit rental value. So a resort shop wil always give you 20% off if you ask for a discount whilst moving towards the door. Likewise with online bookings - check if you have a Ski Republic in your resort. As you are unlikely to get a discount on the lift pass unless you have a renewable one for that resort there is little to be gained by not using the TO (standfast the usual tricks of crappy ex rates)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is one of the big income streams for the Tour Ops. They will get between 5 and 10 % of the lift pass and up to 70 yes 70% (for the big ops) of the kit rental value. So a resort shop wil always give you 20% off if you ask for a discount whilst moving towards the door. Likewise with online bookings - check if you have a Ski Republic in your resort. As you are unlikely to get a discount on the lift pass unless you have a renewable one for that resort there is little to be gained by not using the TO (standfast the usual tricks of crappy ex rates)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks chocksaway Have now got the lift pass squared away for this trip with a nice little discount, and in this case the TO gave the best deal however I do hope the various factors shared by other snowheads in this thread will be of use to future readers.

I must admit I suspected the TOs would have negotiated a big chunck of the lift pass and rentals revenue (I would in their shoes Wink ).

There isn't a ski republic in MontG and it looks very worthwhile checking for the future. I especially like the two for one deal Smile

Oh, and pam, did I mention? Crystal called me back within a few hours of my question, giving me the address of the chalet. Turns out they had to email the chalet. Anyway, from that I was able to see which ski shops worked out easiest in relation to the chalet and to the lifts. It was a five minute job to check that part after I got the address. Suggestion for others in future - get the chalet address up front (if you feel you need it) at booking time and don't wait until afterwards (as I did).

Thanks for the post from admin, snowHead and I checked out the deals from skiset and alpinresorts. Of the two (for our party spec of equipment) Alpinresorts looks to be the most competitive rate. I was also very impressed with their call back process. I called them last night to ask a question, they weren't there so instead of leaving a message I decided to call them back today. Victoria beat me to it and she was well informed and very professional.

I have only one outstanding question about Alpin resorts which remains outstanding "If one of my sons (or me) has a ski equipt problem while skiing in another resort (there are five linked to MontG), are we able to get (free) service from another Alpinresorts shop to resolve it? (as we could with ski set or interserve). I have to say that we've never needed to draw on this feature in many years skiing, but its a nice one to have in the back pocket (reserve parachute?). Unfortunately they couldn't give that undertaking, so perhaps interserve may be the next best bet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy