Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teenagers, ESF, Montgenevre, Chalet Ourson

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies in advance for double posting this. I put it in bend ze knees folder and then realised its probably better suited to the Piste folder...

Anyway, I'd appreciate some advice and ideas.

I've just booked Xmas (19-26 dec) at Montegenevre with my two boys (age 16 and 13), staying at Chalet Ourson (Crystal Chalet).

I've skied a long time and my lads have skied most years since they were 5. As a result they're both confident and fast over most terrain. I've tried to ensure they don't just learn their ski techniques from me, which could result in them getting into some bad habits early. Usually I arrange for them to do morning ski school and we ski together pm.

I'm pretty keen for them to do their ESF Gold award, simply because I've noticed that the ski instruction is generally excellent and the Gold should 'top off' their techniques and give them a great basis for future skiing. Who knows? It might even trigger them to compete and/or do a Ski Instructor qualification in years to come.

Each ski trip I get the same moan (initially) from them about 'going to school' when all they want to do is ski with dad. Yet after a couple of days they are buzzing about the places they've skied and the new stuff they've learned and we all show each other the new routes we've found when we ski together pm. They also 'get more air' with ski school (I ski fast on black but I don't actively look for air).

I wonder, am I placing to much emphasis on the ESF Gold award? (for their development). Or am I right to stick to my guns and give a little push towards ski school for mornings?

I even wonder if I can get an ESF course over the Xmas period?

Any other options? I heard something about a great loop on the milky way, and perhaps a ski marathon route... Maybe hire a ski guide to take the three of us on a special trip or perhaps set up a ski marathon? Both lads are both strong and fit skiers (wot me? that's another matter Smile

Any other tips about Montgenevre also greatly appreciated. Oh, if anyone has stayed at Chalet Ourson, which is the closest good ski hire shop? after all, less admin time = more ski time Smile. I can't even find out which road the chalet is on (I've checked the online town map).

Also it'd be great to bump into other Snowheads while we're there, so do please say hi if you'll be around.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you talking about the ESF Etoile D'Or? If so I would have thought that with the skiing they've done that's aiming a bit low. My daughter did it at 11 with less skiing experience. Perhaps the Competition Class or something aimed at teens.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Colin B, I guess I was talking about the Etoile D'Or. I didn't know there was a competition class (except for the regular weekend sessions that the local French kids attend). I'll investigate that one.
While doing that, I just found this link... http://esf-montgenevre.com/english/gabarit-eng.php?page=instruction-esf-montgenevre-eng.php
and I wonder if this is what you are talking about?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
accel, Yes they also do a teens Free Ride Group. Both are only available during school holidays, I'd check with ESF. Are there other, English perhaps, schools there too?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
good point Colin. I'll investigate those two options.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure about ESF in Montgenevre, but if this hasn't worked out can strongly recommend Apeak - have 2 boys now aged 12 and 10, who can ski anything and do indoor racing in the UK - they have had private lessons with Apeak over the past 2 years which they really enjoyed - if you book 3 lessons you get a better price. If you are still considering then speak/email Seb at Apeak about exactly what you want - his English is great and he will sort out exactly what you want.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
don't push the award if they don't want it. i'm 18 and i'm about to do a ski instructor course, my brothers 21 and he did the same course 3 years ago. neither of us went to ski school past the age of 11/12 and our skiing improved hugely after not going, whilst this may not be the case with you guys, if your kids don't want to do something i'd say just leave it. with enough experience, and the confidence they have, they'll definitely improve. i personally (no offence) can't think of anything i'd rather not do than some ESF gold award thing (i've never actually heard of it either). my parents sound a similiar level to you, so i'm not really sure where we picked up being good at skiing, i think from other skiers on the piste or something...

in summary i'm basically heavily against ski school Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent tips and feedback.

Thanks for the Apeak idea Dr George.

pdx - yes, I see your point and thanks for representing the views of my kids (I don't think they could have argued as persuasively as you did). I don't want to make any excuses here, but sometimes it's difficult being a parent and trying to (genuinely) help your kids to do a bit better or go a bit further than you did (where you = me). True, it could be seen as being a bit pushy. I guess one of the things that has always influenced me personally has been seeing the childrens ski classes in France, Austria and other countries which progress into such a wide, deep and high quality group of skiers, which is reflected in their world medal rankings. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting my guys to go that far, but I do want them to ski better than I can and have the option to instruct or compete (if they want to).

I'm starting to lean towards not doing the ESF Gold thing and I have a feeling I became too focused on it. Maybe I should let my guys do the driving on what THEY want now, after all, they are at the age where they can make their own decisions on most things.

Thanks again all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rather than sending your children to ski school get them a morning with a private instructor/guide. If they get the right person - and you will have to make some enquiries - they will have brilliant fun, learn loads and see bits of the area they might otherwise miss. Make sure the emphasis is having fun -jumps, powder etc. They will learn more in a morning than a whole week at school. With the right instructor they will be begging for more.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can certainly highly recommend the ESF in Montgenevre. Used them for my own children too and they were excellent. Do remember that they don't give the Etoile d'Or to everyone entering the course so even if some people think it's easy some kids do fail!

The ski shop we use is the Chalet du Guide in the Obelisque area which is run by a mountain guide. it's a shop we are very pleased with.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought I had posted a reply but as I could not find it I concluded that I must not have validated it correctly Confused

Actually same question was posted here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1920995&highlight=#1920995
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The private instructor/guide idea sounds good BertieG.

XPeak, you seem to know the area of Montgenevre very well. Can you recommend a good Instructor to make it fun for the guys? Hmmm, I wonder if I should join in or just leave them to it? I'd like to keep the option open for them to do the ESF Gold, if they want to do it, and if the Instructor says they are up to it (I have no doubt about the eldest one and even the younger one should be up for it). So it makes sense to use an ESF instructor I guess.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Leave them to it. Get a young cool instructor they can empathise with. Your enjoyment will be hearing about it from them afterwards.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good point BertieG. Reckon this seems the way to go.

Thanks everyone for input and feedback. Great skills, great snowheads! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy