Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stolen Skis, Tignes . . .

Poster: A snowHead
My trusty 165 Head Great One's were stolen, on Friday, from the closest ski slot to the Taverne de Neige entrance. My friends K2's were on top of them so they had to move them to even see mine. They are distictive skis with the Mountain graphics and mine had all white bingings, instead of the gold/white bindings.

To those of you heading to the slopes, be careful. If you don't have a lock try and pair one of your skis with someone elses and leave them where you can see them if possible.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IncogSkiSno, Oh no... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad That was an expensive hot chocolate... Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, rotten
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bl00dy hell, they are quite new as well aren't they!
Can you claim on your ski or maybe household insurance for them?
Can you post a picture of them so the sheads in Tignes can keep any eye out for them?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno, ...this seems to be on the increase. I have just bought a wire lock for our planks - it's useless if someone is determined - but may act as a deterrent...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2 wrote:
IncogSkiSno, ...this seems to be on the increase. I have just bought a wire lock for our planks - it's useless if someone is determined - but may act as a deterrent...

It may also help demonstrate to your insurance company that you took action to secure your skis,. At Tignes some of the restaurants seemed to have a lockable rack system that would work if you used a certain type of lock with it. For the future, it may be worth checking that out in a resort when you arrive.

That said, when I was at the PSB I was as vulnerable as IncogSkiSno who has real sympathy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IncogSkiSno, Oh Hell. We left our skis often at TdN on the PSB. We always locked them; it's such a busy place and so near the car park.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It may also help demonstrate to your insurance company that you took action to secure your skis

Mine are only covered if the skis are "forcibly removed", and cable/wire cutters imho require force. Tempted to get a slightly more substantial lock though. Losing skis at the restaurant at the end of the day is a PITA, but having them pinched half way round the Sella Ronda at lunchtime with no easy way to get back would be a major logistical PITA as well.

Bummer though. That's surely a prime target for ski theft being so open and right by the road. Thought someone had pinched mine from that bar at the PSB, but fortunately was someone with a similar pair.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spilt your skis
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, Sad pretty sure there was a Spanish guy lost his there on the first Saturday of the PSB as well, major bummer. We also had a few "people" during the ski test, who I kept a very close eye on. The gear they were wearing, while a litte ski based was not right for them to be hanging around near the car park
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, What a rotten thing to happen. I hope you have some luck with your insurance company.

I am always surprised that people do not split and lock their skis outside restaurants. I only get to ski once a year but the threads on ski theft here led me to believe that theft/mistakes were common place. I know I annoy my family by reminding them every day to lock their skis when they are unattended. I actually could not enjoy a drink if I thought that my skis could be taken by someone else.

Nobody would even think of leaving a bicycle unlocked, what makes them so negligent when it comes to skis?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski, Wearing Dare2B jackets, perhaps?
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
palumbex wrote:

Nobody would even think of leaving a bicycle unlocked, what makes them so negligent when it comes to skis?

Without being unsympathetic to the OP, I don't really understand this either. I know cable locks aren't proof against a prepared and determined thief but someone would certainly attract more attention cutting through than just grabbing a pair of skis. Bike locks are largely cuttable as well but I still use one even on my crappy about town iron which is worth way less than even a rental pair of skis.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really hate to hear of skis being stolen, such an inconvenience as much as anything. Hope your insurance pays out.

This is the lock I bought for my new skis, it's pretty hefty but it will take more than a Leatherman to get through this sucker:

ski holidays
Just wait until you lose your key. Toofy Grin
snow report
I have two, and keep them both with me, one on a lanyard!!
latest report
what can you actually pass a lock through on a ski though to keep it attached?? Don't recall any 'holes' in my bindings that I could thread a cable through!

I always just split mine and put them in a different rack to the other split set....

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 11-12-11 13:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I have never ever locked my skis away, never really thought of it as a problem. Maybe its because i always use hire skis and dont own my own. If i did, im sure i would lock them away. Carrying a big daft lock around though all day doesnt seem a great idea but if it mean your skis dont get stolen, then so be it. Is it normally peoples own skis that get knicked, or is this also a big problem for rental stuff?
snow conditions
Never leave skis in a pair near a road, or that has vehicle access, at the bottom, where lifts meet, somewhere like Toviere where you can go up and down in a flash. Outside the Spar in Lac. Above all insure the skis, unless they are chained to a post by a 1/4 chain they will get stolen if desirable. Thieves carry bolt cutters if pro, so just walk 20 yards and leave them apart, ski thieves do not risk carrying one and looking for the other. Keep an eye on anything new or desirable like WD that are nation specific, it is not only foreigners who steal skis from chalets.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, rubbish news! Sad
latest report
kitenski, Look turntables wink - otherwise through the brake pedal.
snow report
fatbob, you can pop out a brake pedal with one screw though can't you??
snow conditions
Quote:

Thought someone had pinched mine from that bar at the PSB, but fortunately was someone with a similar pair.

Did you realise that before you hit him?
ski holidays
Piccadilly wrote:
This is the lock I bought for my new skis

Is that specifically a ski lock? I tried googling "Master Ski Lock" but that didn't provide much help Sad
snow conditions
pam w, haha fortunately for him, I was well trapped in side the bar with no easy exit.
latest report
WiRED, See bolt cutter
latest report
WiRED, Seek, and ye shall find
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi ?,

Matthew here...i was with my sister last week for a 3 dayer, i am the guy from wimbledon and Gina is from the Isle of Man. Are you the lady we met at the airport and then again out in Tignes?

Matthew.

IncogSkiSno,
snow report
mattsure, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Did the person you see look like this?

latest report
kitenski wrote:

Yep but its effort for the tealeaf.
ski holidays
mattsure, ignore Ray Zorro (apart from the welcome); they have this "thing" going.......
latest report
IncogSkiSno, what a PITA - I hope the insurance kicks in. Commiserations Sad

Ski lock threads are here if anyone wants to investigate the purchase of something better than a retractable thin cable one:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66452#1582937

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1432159&highlight=lock#1432159
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Yep but its effort for the tealeaf.

All thieves are basically lazy,and I think most ski thefts are opportunist anyway.Bog standard piste skis are probably pretty safe,but many of us now slide around on top end 'fat boys',and these command a decent price.I always make a point of strapping 'all' our skis together,with a purpose made cable and lock(threaded through all the ski brakes)I also try to do this in full view of lots of peeps,espcially if I spy a group who look to be staying(and will also say hello to them in the hope they remember the strange Englishman Toofy Grin )
You cant cover every eventuality,but I feel you dont have to do a lot to make things a lot more secure.
snow conditions
Worth noting that a lot of bike/motorbike locks are too thick for bolt cutters to fit around or wedge, preventing most attempts, but i carry them cos I got rucksack with me Shocked
snow report
i can't remember where, but in tignes my brother had a pair of K2 public enemy's stolen, luckily rental. i'm doing a season in val d'isere this year though, and i'm a bit worried about having my K2 extremes, which arent rental, stolen, especially as they are quite bright and notable... i think i'll definitely be splitting skis with people
snow conditions
mattsure, welcome to sHs! . . . OMG yes I am, well one of them, I am the blonde in the Green Jacket!

We had a combination lock which we used one year in St Anton. Anyway, it was either faulty or OH had forgotten the code and he spent nearly an hour in the cold trying to remove the damn thing from our skis. Since then I have been warey of locks. We usually split our skis, but this year we didn't . . . sods law, I got caught out. Lesson learnt! Sad
snow conditions
 cran
cran
I don't leave my skis anywhere I can't see them, especially in France.

Now that I'm a ski bum I don't like to waste my beer money buying stuff on the slopes so I take sandwiches with me and it isn't a problem...

Don't leave your skis unattended in France, I know loads of people who have had them nicked.
ski holidays
We take cable locks - like the one in the those links I pointed to. We pass, a couple of these if necessary, through the ski brakes and lock the entire load of skis in our group into one big bundle and ideally we also pass the lock around a non-moveable object. At the very least any thief would end up making a great big clatter if they interferred with them!
ski holidays
To those who do not think to worry about crappy rental skis: The shops I have hired from have had a standard replacement cost that you must pay if you lose your skis. 400Euro for a bashed up pair of skis is a high price to pay. This only applies if you have not taken out insurance with the shop.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy