Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Queuing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Hoping to grab a few days on the slopes the week between Christmas and New Year. I'm keeping an eye on the snow / weather, but was wondering where you think is likely to have the shortest lift queues. I'll be looking to ski the reds and blacks, if different lifts are likely to be more or less popular.

I'm guessing Cairngorm will be the busiest, but what sort of things should be expected that week. I learnt to ski on Cairngorm many years ago, and remember some long waits for the T-bar!

Also, can anyone recommend any instruction? And can the ski schools jump the lift queues?

Thanks

PJ
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't say anything about the length of queues but what i did find wierd at Cairngorm was the way the queues went halfway up the hill in a nice neat line. very neat and tidy but it buggered half the piste becauseyou had to stop halway down to join the queue or try to find a gap in it if you were heading further down the hill. Strange but I prefer the german/austrian scrum system (apart from the ankle chewers)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eversolazy, I tend to ski mid week to avoid the queues... However christmas week is open season... The cover in the west is much more extensive than in the East so if you are looking for reds and blacks Nevis and Coe will be your best bet... However there are 2 storms still to hit this week so thinks may change between now and when you want to go....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The back corries at Nevis (if open) or glencoe would be my choices.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
West coast (Glencoe/Nevis Range) generally have less, if any, queues.

On the East it is likely to be busy - Glenshee has the biggest area and most lifts so can generally cope reasonably well with lots of visitors. Cairngorm gets crazy busy. I guess most people associate skiing in Scotland with 'Aviemore'. I would prefer to ski the Lecht over Cairngorm - yes it is very small with short runs, but there are rarely big queues, especially if the Buzzard/Falcon/Harrier are open. I think it is better to ski a smaller area than it is to stand in massive queues at a larger (and more expensive) centre!

I am sure I will be shot down in flames by the folks who like queueing 1hour for a lift pass, 45 mins for the funicular and 25 mins per run, then eat your lunch standing up as the tables at Ptarmagan cafe are all full.....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
whats with the lemming vibe? Queues can be avoided easily even in the most busy areas with a bit of planning and common sense - just because you see a queue, it don't mean you have to join it (others seem to disagree!). It's perfectly possible to walk onto the surface tows on Cairngorm straight from the car park 5 minutes after rocking up (ticket previously secured), avoid the funicular for the first couple of hours, then move around the mountain to the quieter spots as things pick up (easier for advanced riders) or simply lap top to bottom (endless routes available in good conditions) but USING the funicular which will be quieter through the day but still running frequently enough to give you plenty of laps - you'll likely be hunting a queue for a rest if you employ this! Similar deal with the restaurant, as you've been up early on the tows, making the most of the lifts while the throngs queue for the train, get in early and get your chips while the tows are getting busy, then enjoy the hill and tows to yourself while everyone is in eating.
Simples really, I avoid half-term just cos thats another level of mentalness, but apart from that, engage your brain, dont get all flappy if you see a queue, and have a f&^*in kit kat!

All that said, Cairngorm certainly best for big queues if that's what you like! West will certainly be best for lack of queues and Glenshee as stated has a pretty big area and number of tows to spread the load

I love the Lecht too btw, great spot, great team working hard for their punters.

oh and to the OP - you wont get your own line with ski school, bit of leeway for beginner groups when there's a few stragglers floating about and instructor is trying to keep em together, and bibbed-up race teams do get a 1:1 or 1:2 priority on one main tow (and some ad hoc ones if races are on)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
20 years ago I was very impressed by Scottish queuing - a nice straight queue down the mountain, then another behind it so it didn't go right up the White Lady, and a third forming behind that. rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes those disappointing words - 'we're starting a second queue' - somehow I always lose out.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Can't say anything about the length of queues but what i did find wierd at Cairngorm was the way the queues went halfway up the hill in a nice neat line. very neat and tidy but it buggered half the piste becauseyou had to stop halway down to join the queue or try to find a gap in it if you were heading further down the hill. Strange but I prefer the german/austrian scrum system (apart from the ankle chewers)

In Soldeu, about 25 years ago you could tell whether it was weekend or weekday by the shape of the lift queues
Weekday = predominantly british = neat linear lift queues with no pushing in, shoving etc
Weekend = predominantly Spanish / French = fan shaped queues, dog eat dog, push, shove, leave your manners in the hotel.
Nowadays the british are in a minority all week but the locals seem to have marginally improved their manners!.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Q Manners , try Italy, The Italians are very nic in lots of ways , but when it comes to Qing, they are no holds barred

The classic trick you see there ;

Local joins the Q,
you Q up behind as do 20-30 people with manners
The skier that, is before u in Q, is joined by 4/5 mates, who chat or a few mins , and proceed to Q jump
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Yes those disappointing words - 'we're starting a second queue' - somehow I always lose out.
The shout is usually 'New queue!' - and when done properly no-one 'loses out' as the last person at the back of the old queue gets on the lift before the first person in the new queue. Simple really - but it always amazes me how many people can't grasp how it works or seem to think that the person starting the new queue is pulling a fast one.... rolling eyes
Quote:

West coast (Glencoe/Nevis Range) generally have less, if any, queues.
We've never queued much at Nevis Range - but here's the queue we once encountered for the (single seater) Cliffhanger Chair at Glencoe. Could be like that this weekend with the epic snow.....

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^^That's just unfortunate. The T-bar in the background (The Wall) has at least 3x the capacity of the chairlift, usually provides the main uplift from the plateau and has obviously stopped working or not started yet. Leave the Cliffy for the boarders. PITA getting to the Main Basin tows from it anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Wall T-bar can fairly shift and seriously shift people too, it's a steep lift line, so some folk deliberately avoid it, but for the more experienced it's the lift of choice if both it and the Cliffy are on, you can access the Wall easily from it and ski down to the Main Basin tows from it.

If going to CairnGorm over the holiday period, remember it's one of the busiest periods with sightseers as well as skiers, the standard advise to get the most out of the 'Gorm at such times is get there early and make sure your skiing whilst everyone else is having lunch! snowHead

Alternative strategy for that time of year if snow and weather are good, and you've indulged a bit much in the festivities the night before. Sit out most of the morning, aim to arrive on the hill 30mins before the afternoon passes go on sale - you'll quite often be able to whiz past people waiting for the Shuttle Bus in the Ciste, and grab yourself some of the spaces freed up in the Cas Carpark by funicular visitors leaving. Then grab yourself some lunch before the crowds on the hill descend on the Daylodge, bring cash for your ticket and you can be on the tows at 12.30, just as people who've been up all day are starting to think about lunch.

Also if your not that familiar with the mountain, worth taking a tour with one of the CairnGorm Ambassadors, they can give you some helpful tips to get maximum skiing and minimum queuing, when cover is extensive a bit of creativity will get you a lot of sliding even when it's busy. When conditions allow, Funicular to the top and skiing to the Ciste Carpark gives a run of just over 2 miles per uplift.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy