Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Resort For Families Near Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone

I would really appreciate some views on favourite resorts near Geneva which are good for families. We are looking within a 2 hour drive. Our two have skiied for 5 weeks. This year they really need some lessons and it would be great to find somewhere which has a good English speaking school. Me and my other half are intermediates and like a good variety of reds and not too scary blacks. I have been looking at Megeve as it appears excellent value, but other suggestions would be really appreciated. Looking to go in Feb 2006.

Soozy Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Soozy, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Soozy, Welcome to snowHead 's we liked Megeve, Villars, Chatel, Avoriaz, and and in fact all of the Portes du Soleil circuit, we don't have young children so can't really comment on that side of things, but I would say Chatel looked good for kids as I remember they had a purple piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, Lots of the resorts around the PDS and Tarentaise have purple pistes, as they are sponsored by Milka Chocolate, hhmmm chocolate Cool
Soozy, Welcome. Feb will be busiest in French resorts at the time of the school holidays, check the dates before making the booking Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
megeve has lots to recommend it (though no doorstep ski-ing because of the low altitude of the resort) but be aware that it's a very expensive place. Shops in the resort are the kind where if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it . Some wonderful restaurants, but..... how about 400 euros per head for dinner?? Obviously there are cheaper places, and the pedestrianised centre of the town is very pretty. But lots of accommodation is some distance from either the centre or the lifts. I think there's some good English speaking instruction there, though I have no personal experience of that.

Some of the best family resorts near Geneva are French-oriented (e.g. Notre Dame de Bellecombe) and would fail for lack of English speaking group lessons (though I imagine that any resort would offer English speaking private lessons). Les Gets would be a good bet (and snow record probably better than Megeve's too, though you shouldn't have a problem in February). Great for kids, if a bit too overrun with Brits for some tastes. I found the BASS ski school there to be good quality, albeit expensive, but I have seen other negative comments on this forum.

Flaine would be OK too - not pretty but lots of runs for all abilities, in a big ski area. But all very crowded in February, except the first week. Easter hols would be cheaper and less crowded, if you can't go in term time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. Being in Scotland, we don't exactly have a half term, just a long weekend, which is just before the English week so things are a bit cheaper. We would be keen to try PDS. This year we went to Chamonix which we enjoyed, but the only school there we could find was ESF which we have used in the past with mixed success
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
THere is the British Alpine ski school in Les Gets i think. Les Gets really good for children and Morzine pretty good too......
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
An alternative ski school to BASS in Les Gets is mentioned here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=158123#158123
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a total beginner (all of 2 years ago!), I had a week of half-day lessons with BASS in Morzine and they were excellent. As has become clear on my 2 subsequent ski trips, I have absolutely NO aptitude for skiing and yet my instructor, Jaz was able to instil in me sufficient confidence to allow me to thoroughly enjoy skiing by the end of the second lesson! Day 4 was a bit of a disaster but that was my fault and I don't want to talk about it Shocked

Most of my (vastly-experienced) ski buddies' children had been taught to ski by BASS and nobody had a bad word to say about them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Soozy, you won't go wrong with PdS unless it's a poor snow year, Chatel which is probably about the best located resort is only 1200 metres but lots of intermediate skiing, some good mountain restuarants and not far from Geneva. Good choice of ski schools as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David@traxvax, Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avoriaz usually has plenty of snow when the lower resorts don't but it does tend to be more crowded than some of the other PDS resorts and isn't so picturesque. We love the PDS but we have the use of a car and can take in plenty of other resorts too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Soozy, Welcome to snowHead Avoriaz has a British Ski School and some fantastic skiing for all the family. We have a place out there, but you are hitting it at the time of the French Half Term holiday and I note that some of those weeks are already booked on my agents web site, Chatel would be a good alternative in the region. You should have plenty of snow as well. Enjoy it wherever you go. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would go for Les Gets, have been there both in the winter and summer and have two young children. Plenty of ski -ing in Feb, BASS good ski school, lots of accomodation choice and just over an hour from Geneva airport. We will be back there in March next year
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well it looks like PDS it is. I can get good priced flights leaving on the 4th of Feb and have come up with some accommodation options in Chatel. We have to take our 2 out of school for a few days which is always a bit of a worry, but last year they were fine about it. Cheers everyone Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy