Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pila first week in January

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of booking a week in Pila from 2nd of January for 6 nights.Ihave heard that it can get really busy during this week and would be interested to hear from anybody who has been there at this time of year as i don't fancy standing in a lift queue for half an hour then ski a crowded piste.All help would be greatly appreciated as i have only previously skiied in Andorra and never had to queue for a lift for more than a minute or two.Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only reason that I know for this period being extra busy is Orthodox Christmas. Tis might mean a lot of Russians around. I believe some snowHeads experienced a bit of queueing in Italy last year for that reason.

Pila is an unusual resort in that it is quite tiny and perched (pleasantly) on the slopes of the mountain above a big town. It is also popular with school trips, which might affect that week, I guess, if the schools have not gone back then. It is a charming place to ski with a nice variety of runs, most of which are tree-lined. There is usually an offer to take a day-trip to other nearby resorts. Courmayeur (nice) and Cervinia (think you'd like that too) are not far away. Also in range is La Thuile, which is rarely busy.

I was at Pila during a February half-term. This is usually the busiest week of the year and the queues were no problem. Hope this is helpful

snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks chris if i book it i will probably go for the full valley pass to try different areas.I have never come accross Russians on the slopes but have met some on summer holidays bit of a nightmare.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Russians might have invaded! I've taught in Pila for the last 8 seasons for 2-4 weeks but it's always the end of Jan I make it there. My buddy lives over there so I'll drop him a msg and ask him what it's usually like at that time. It's a bit of an off the radar place relatively but as Chris Bish, it's popular with school trips from the UK but it's never mobbed in my experience. Do you plan to stay in Pila or Aosta?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think it will be too busy. The busiest weeks are the two Feb half term weeks, when probably 70%+ of the people on the piste are groups of school kids. During that time Interski (Britsh school groups) and Italian racing teams take up much of the slopes. Even during these weeks i've never queued for more than 10-15 minutes.

It's a small resort, you could ski all the runs in one day without too much trouble.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
staying in pila hotel pila 2000 reasonable price with first choice at the moment
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Italians are noramlly on Holiday until 7/8th January (bank holiday on the 6th) so the week after New year is quite often the busiest week in Italian ski resorts, from memory Pila wasn't too bad but certainly busier than normal. As far as I know there is no real Russian market in Pila.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
may be a few interski school trips there from Uk my daughter did that week in 2009
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DONT GO TO ITALY THE FIRST WEEK OF THE NEW YEAR!!!! its the busiest week of the season by far! we've been to pila a few times and never ever had a que at any lift, but make sure we don't go that week!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
we are planning to go out on the 8th, so that first day on the slopes is my birthday! hopefully will be quiet and lots of snow!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
8th will be very busy as its a Sunday but the 9th should be great very quiet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
doghead, Try speaking to Carole at Pilaski.co.uk she lives there during the winter (last 12 years) and will be honest with you vis crowds. We find that weekends are busy as people in the valley come up the gondola but the rest of the week is quiet. Longest queue we have ever had is 2mins and most of the time it is just straight on to the chair if you avoid Chomole lift between 8:30 and 9:30 as that is the quickest way on to the mountain for every one coming up from the Valley.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we fly out on the 8th so first day will be the 9th (birthday)
yeah been intouch with Carole and meeting up with her whilst we are out there!

Staying at Lion Noir which seems to be perfect location. Also booked myself and other half onto lessons (board for me, ski for her) just to improve technique

can't wait!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rusty, Good spot straight out the back door on to Piste 2 and down 100yds to Chamole chair.

Have a great time. Get Carole to show you where her favourite bar is on the mountain as it is tucked away and difficult to spot other wise. Great place and very good prices. Coffees were 1€ last year. Prosecco much more relevant though with nibbles.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rusty you poof, pila is for girls, the cool kids go to cervinia
snow conditions
Mckeann, real men don't have to go to bigger resorts to be classed as "cool"
snow conditions
Rusty, i've not made a mistake with your identity have i?? You are Adam i hope Very Happy

Crystal offer a ski away day to Pila from cervinia. Maybe me and nicola will come down and see you two for some banter and beers at lunch.
ski holidays
Quote:

Mckeann, real men don't have to go to bigger resorts to be classed as "cool"

Sound like you have tried out some of the neighbouring resorts like Cervinia/Zermatt (350km), Monterosa/Champoluc/Gressoney(180 km) , La Thulie/La Rosiere (160 km) and Courmayeur(36km) which are in the same Aosta Valley.

What has Pila (70km) got that others haven't? For its size it should be good in price I suppose. Others seem to have identified a lot of birds there.

I know at least one resort called Torgnon (23km), on the road to Cervinia, that is even smaller so it may be even cooler to go there. Certainly from the web cam today it is full of snow. Last time when I saw it with my own eye everywhere was green except the single run down the mountain has a carpet of snow. It was 3rd in March when snow was plentiful in far end of the same road (Creuil Cervinia).
snow report
Yup Ape, It is Adam! Sounds good, gimme a bell when your thinking of coming over!

Saikee, Not sure if its xmas drinking but not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing.

I've been to La Thuile/La Rosiere (twice, got engaged there last year) and i loved how quiet it was but wanted to go somewhere else similar.
We aren't massive drinkers so quiet apres ski is fine for us but also we like smaller quiet resorts to make it more of a Holiday than a cover every piste trip.

If you are agreeing, then great glad you agree you don't need to go to Massive resorts to have fun,
If you are disagreeing, Me and Mckeann go back quite far so usually make fun of each other. Its also personal preference where people go, if people didn't like variety then we'd all be at the same resorts, making lift ques hours long!
snow report
Bit early for loads of Interski school parties to be there.
snow conditions
rusty,

If you spend a bit of time on having a drink or two in meeting up with friends and mates then a large resort is not as personal as a small resort for the regular meet up.

I was trying to bottom out why skiers prefer Pila to places like Cervinia which has a glacier and access to the Swiss Zermatt. I agree crossing to the Swiss side can take time and cut down the opportunity to relax with a few drinks. It is true in a large resort we tend to accept whatever lunch place happen to be available on the route and unable to stop at the same place when travelling in different directions everyday.
ski holidays
i snowboard so i'm generally quite happy playing about off piste in some trees, so quite happy with small resorts to have some fun in.

when i was at Andorra i found i didn't cover probably even half of the area available, so when i look at smaller resorts i know they are probably the right size.
ski holidays
Pila 1st week in Jan may be busier. There are Interski there at that time. Need to be careful with what time you decide to queue and at what lift, but they can be avoided. Getting to other Aosta resorts can be time consuming. Pila's pistes can easily be covered in one day by a steady intermediate. Pila 2000, mostly Italian patrons. Bit of a scrum at the evening meal for the first course, good selection of food. Dont be surprised to see horse on the menu. Hotel popular with people with children, laminate floors can be noisy. Rooms cozy and clean. Generally pistes are very well groomed, lifts can be a little slow and exposed to the weather.

This was filmed 1st week Jan 2011...

http://youtube.com/v/1SnuE_SmrhM
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy