Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The less well known French Ski Resorts 2011/2012 Mega Thread

Poster: A snowHead
skinutter, it is rather, isn't it? Just been out there - the stars are shining, I can see all the mountains and that chairlift had better open tomorrow morning. We rarely make the first lift, but tomorrow is a must!

Some of the depth out there has been chucked up by the path clearing - we haven't had a level 2.5m! The thing is, after a while, there's just nowhere to put it. I had to shovel a great amount off the pile on the right today, both because it was impeding the satellite signal and because I needed somewhere to put the snow I was shovelling off the terrace - I don't have the strength to throw it five metres!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good grief!!!!!!!!

This is such a fabulous thread. The photo of davidotot is awesome. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pam, hope you don't mind the hijack. We've been going to Les C for 10 years now and often ski Hauteluce but this year I'm keen to explore a bit more. Is it feasible to ski over into Hauteluce from Les C and then spend a day sking Les Saisies?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should add that I understand bus transfers would be needed from Belleville Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NoDosh wrote:
Pam, hope you don't mind the hijack. We've been going to Les C for 10 years now and often ski Hauteluce but this year I'm keen to explore a bit more. Is it feasible to ski over into Hauteluce from Les C and then spend a day sking Les Saisies?

HiJack? Post some "stoke" (whatever that means) if you are out on the snow.

On Sunday we were on the ex-ski piste of St Nizier du Moucherotte

unfortunately that was the last we saw of the sun that day, by the time we reached the summit it was like this

The single piste of 800 D+ used to be served by a cable car. with a single drag lift at the summit, see link:

http://www.skipass.com/forums/enmontagne/stations_ski_france/isere/sujet-51145-150.html

There was a hotel at the summit "l'ermitage" which used to see visitors like Bridget Bardot, a film was made using it as a set. You may remember the reportage I did in 2010 from the ski slopes?

http://youtube.com/v/50AZjGgsABA
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, cracking pictures as normal. The conditions look wonderful. snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You can't ski to Hauteluce (not the village, which is a good few miles down the valley from the bottom of the skiing at Belleville) But if you ski to the bottom of the gondola on the Belleville side of the col de Joly you can get a bus to Les Saisies. Timetable here http://www.lessaisies.com//documents/Hauteluce_Belleville_corrige.pdf

You can access the LS area either from Hauteluce (two chairs up - very nice long descent on two red runs to get back down again) or stay on the bus round to LS. The bus is free.

However, if you had to get back to Belleville in time to get the 2 lifts up to the col and ski back down into LC, before the close of play, you'd not have much time in Les Saisies.

If you have a car I'd be inclined to drive, but to access the Espace Diamant from Praz sur Arly (just after Megeve) rather than trog all the way to LS on the road. It's more fun to ski!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How are conditions Pam? Care to update me?

I bet it's absolutely lovely in the sunshine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Feast, the conditions are fantastic. Skied down to the bottom at Hauteluce this morning. Snow fine. Pistes very quiet. No queues. Wall to wall sunshine. snowHead snowHead snowHead

this morning started watching the dog sled race come down our local piste - some when we were waiting for the lift at the bottom, some when we were on the lift, and some - the back markers I guess - on the top of Mont Bisanne. There must have been 9/10 outfits. Lovely to see. The dogs looked like they were enjoying themselves. They go from Les Saisies to Megeve today.

http://www.grandeodyssee.com/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In my mind those runs down to Hauteluce look magical. Have fun. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers Pam, that's just the advice I needed. Have an acquaintance from the Discovery owners club who lives in beaufort and have been meaning to drop in on him so driving around, getting some miles under the skis and then talking land rover nonsense may well be on the cards.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
These are the busy pistes of the Col de Marcieu

which I skied down yesterday after a long ski tour in the Chartreuse: http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/1131/

and as a bonus the church at St Bernard

the whole population could squeeze into this building. St
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Have an acquaintance from the Discovery owners club who lives in beaufort

Well then, the obvious place to go to ski is Areches-Beaufort. It's always cold there. Wrap up warm.

The picture is at the bottom of the Evettes Chair, in Flumet. Just over 1000m. Snow was mostly good; some hard bits developing, but that's the shady side of the Arly Valley (in fact was pretty nippy today) and it hasn't suffered much.

Found the cheapest coffees yet in the Espace Diamant - just 1 euro. A shocking 2.10 yesterday in one of the the most expensive restaurants - the Benetton in Les Saisies. Shan't be stopping there again in a hurry.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Found the cheapest coffees yet in the Espace Diamant - just 1 euro.

Do divulge.. Very Happy

Edit: Oh, was it good?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, excellent - it's where this photo is taken from - bar just before the bottom of the Evettes chair. Only obvious one in the vicinity. When are you in Les Saisies, Feast?
ski holidays
Ah ok, sorry.

We are in Les Saisies for a week from Saturday 28th Jan.

I'm a bit unsure whether to get an Espace pass or a LS pass. Due to the OH being a beginner it might be a waste. Although, it looks like there are lots of green in the Espace and we have the car, so in theory we could drive to some of the other villages if the OH isn't up to skiing around to much...
ski holidays
Feast, PM sent.
snow report
A great time at Jarjatte this afternoon, good conditions and not busy. A small resort, only 4 drags, a bit on the low side, but friendly and cheap.

Off to Gresse en Vercors on Tuesday for the first time, and will let you know what we find...
snow report
I've just about gotten over my cold so took the totster out for some hardcore ski action. Well hard as in ice hard pistes up at St Hilaire du Touvet

http://youtube.com/v/QYDNRnC5Dak

The slalom kids told me it was ideal conditions for them. I actually had to do up the buckles on my boots and try and ski properly rather than just kind of schlepping around the place, plus the tot has upped the pace a bit.

The first none "home" resort we'll do this year is Meaudre on the 28th for the Husky festival.

Paul, can you post some photos from lus la jarjatte ?
snow report
Gresse en Vercors - yesterday.
A nice little resort, pretty and tree lined, only 16€ for the pass, with insurance. The snow was in good condition, and well maintained. It can apparently get busy at the weekend, due to Grenoble being 50km or so away.
We wll be going back, are there any similar sized areas around Grenoble that can be recommended?
latest report
Wow! V Impressive. that looked like a steep run (hideously crowded, too wink ). How old is the totster now?
snow report
PaulS wrote:
Gresse en Vercors - yesterday.
A nice little resort, pretty and tree lined, only 16€ for the pass, with insurance. The snow was in good condition, and well maintained. It can apparently get busy at the weekend, due to Grenoble being 50km or so away.
We wll be going back, are there any similar sized areas around Grenoble that can be recommended?

Well all the Vercors resorts, cote 2000, Autrans, Meaudre, Lans.

Try St Pierre de Chartreuse too. Col d'Ornon is open again this year. Chamrousse outside of school holidays. Alpe du Grande Serre but it is expensive, good in the school holidays as there is virtually no accomodation.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Wow! V Impressive. that looked like a steep run (hideously crowded, too wink ). How old is the totster now?

Both runs are quite steep, as you get in small resorts. Tot is 7 now, he takes it a bit easy at skiing to be honest. He's got a g/f in resort who is with the ski club who are very very serious, she could probably pass the eurotest she's so fast.
snow conditions
Best skiing of the season this morning. Meteo Chance got two things wrong. They said 30cm of snow, there was 60cm and they said bad weather and it was sunny early on only getting a bit grey around 1pm

busy pistes as usual, Saturdays are terrible with all the skiers about the place.

Here is the trainer ski area with the clouds now hanging on the summits

Off piste: rain crust to 1200m, powder on good base higher up
3C at 900m
latest report
Off pisting near the ski area of the col de Barioz today. Very soggy, it rained to around 1700m overnight, quite heavy. 12C in the valley and above freezing to 1900m.

Yesterday's powder got very heavy on Saturday afternoon and things were much the same today. Like skiing in crème fraîche. We were a bit stuck between heavy snow below 2000m and a dangerous snowpack higher up. Personally I prefer heavy snow.
latest report
We were up at St Pierre de Chartreuse yesterday to take advantage of a free ski lesson for La Petite thanks to La Fete du Ski. Weather was a bit mxed - rain / mist, the odd bit of sun, but a very pleasant and surprisingly quiet afternoon. The snow was very heavy on the sides, but in good condition on the pistes.
snow report
Red Dave wrote:
We were up at St Pierre de Chartreuse yesterday to take advantage of a free ski lesson for La Petite thanks to La Fete du Ski. Weather was a bit mxed - rain / mist, the odd bit of sun, but a very pleasant and surprisingly quiet afternoon. The snow was very heavy on the sides, but in good condition on the pistes.

It must have been like a big sponge when the piste basher prepared the runs Happy.

The Totster is a big fan of the ESF at St P.
latest report
Quote:

It must have been like a big sponge when the piste basher prepared the runs .

That must've been why Le Guiers Mort was flowing flowing so strongly!

Quote:

The Totster is a big fan of the ESF at St P.

They did seem very friendly. We're currently considering where the best place is for lesson for La Petite at weekends.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red Dave wrote:

That must've been why Le Guiers Mort was flowing flowing so strongly!

Misnamed in that case.

We were up at Meaudre for the Championnat national de chiens de traîneaux and a bit of skiing. Meaudre is almost American in its style of pistes: wide boulevards cut through the Aspen groves and not much vert Happy (Miaow).

(we stayed in the hotel Furon which you can see in the bottom left of the above photo, you can ski to the front door)

yes another total cock up by Meteo Chance, they'd predicted a snow storm and it was bright and sunny.

Programme for the tot was "Piste to Powder"

well it was really an excuse to slow him down as he's getting too fast for me on piste

looking back down to Meaudre

unfortunately the totster seems to be getting the hang of the fluffy stuff quite quickly

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 28-01-12 20:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

they'd predicted a snow storm and it was bright and sunny.

same here, though to be fair to Meteo Chance, everybody else was predicting snow too.
latest report
Here is some dogging action for you

http://youtube.com/v/-dBu2ry64xY
snow conditions
Quote:

Quote:

they'd predicted a snow storm and it was bright and sunny.

same here, though to be fair to Meteo Chance, everybody else was predicting snow too.

Looks like I picked the wrong massif - we were in Chamrousse Sat pm where La Petite had a lesson, and it was far from bright and sunny. Very, very limited visibility, but at least it was reasonably quiet.
snow conditions
Chalmazel, it is now or never ! In Truffade We Trust

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 31-01-12 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Villard des Lans, Vercors

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/p1350511.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3589/photo0023ks.jpg
ski holidays
Red Dave wrote:

Looks like I picked the wrong massif - we were in Chamrousse Sat pm where La Petite had a lesson, and it was far from bright and sunny. Very, very limited visibility, but at least it was reasonably quiet.

You know it can be clear everywhere but Chamrousse with its famous little cloud that sits on the resort.
snow report
I was in Les Deux Alpes in January, it snowed all day and all night the last night we were there (20th-21st). The following morning was glorious, brilliant sunshine and about 2 and a half feet of fresh snow.
ski holidays
Back to St Hilaire de Touvet today, it was cold cold cold, the wind blows right through you, it is no place for the old, or young for that matter.

The limped February sun did little to warm the cockles or anything else

we took refuge in the woods (le Couloir caché)

before returning for a tour of the pistes

back at the car the totster was moaning with the cold and numbness of hands and especially feet despite me having put silver foil under his insoles and a second pair of socks.

Snow is currently the best I've seen for a number of years (at 900-1400m on piste) and not bad off piste too.
snow report
I was really looking forward to skiing some of the lovely fluffy stuff this weekend; even the stuff in my garden is powdery! We had a lesson booked for La Petite yesterday pm, but decided to cancel as it was just too cold - don't want to put her off for the rest of the season. Will try again next weekend. Shame, as Chamrousse didn't seem to be wearing its famous little cloud....
ski holidays
Quote:

the totster was moaning with the cold and numbness of hands and especially feet despite me having put silver foil under his insoles and a second pair of socks.

feet are difficult but you could buy the poor kid some hand-warming teabags, you cruel man. wink
snow report
The tot is on strike for tomorrow, very French of him.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy