Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Enduro XT800

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got said skis? I'm on the hunt for a new pair, found these at a reasonable price. Anyone got them and got any good (prefferably) reviews of these. Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just as with the XT 850, the XT 800 is not your typical Salomon product: there is a traditional sidewall rather than a monocoque construction. The Enduro XT 800 is nimble, precise, and extremely agile. It handles speed well and its performance on hardpack is absolutely bulletproof. Although the XT 800 is a more forgiving than the XT 850, it still requires some technique (and a zest of physical stamina) to get the best out of it. You should be aware that it has a slight bias towards hard snow. As far as on-piste performance goes, it's one of the better skis I've tried lately. If you're looking to do a substantial amount of off-piste, then you might be better off with another ski.

Consider your binding options *VERY CAREFULLY*. If you stick with the system binding recommended by Salomon, you'll end up with a ski that's quite heavy. According to my info, the system bindings weigh close to 2,9 kilos per pair. In contrast, a Marker Griffon binding weighs 1890 grs per pair. Choosing a different binding will affect the way the ski performs in subtle ways. Here's what I think about that:

XT 800 with System Binding

- Better at speed
- Better GS turns
- Better edge grip on hardpack

XT 800 with Marker Griffon binding

- Better in the bumps
- Better in powder
- Better short radius turns
- Makes the ski slightly less demanding

Sorry for all the details. Hope I didn't confuse you too much there... Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JayAre, which "system binding" smartrack or freeflex?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JayAre, which "system binding" smartrack or freeflex?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The system binding is the Protrack Z12. That's what I demoed it with initially, but I've subsequently skied on it with the Griffon in a non demo environment. During the demo, I asked what the difference between the retail binding and the one I had under my feet would be and the skiman said "none". I found this answer a bit odd so I remarked that a) the binding seemed rather heavy and b) the binding was highly adjustable and seemed like a demo binding. He answered: "look, it's going to be sold in the shops exactly like this".
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JayAre, yep your right "protrack" It's very similar to the smartrack.

ally12259, there are two standard Salomon binding options so if you do buy make sure which one you want if you go for the Salomon option, the protrack as JayAre, says which has a plastic plate and the z speed freeflex binding which has a bit more metal in it, weight is obviously down to personal preference.

It is predominantly a piste ski so weight and powder performance wouldn't necessarily be of major concern, but for use on piste the the protrack might be the better of the two "system bindings" as it gives more boot clearance.

I tested last year's enduro which was like a slightly stiffer version of this year's 850 and loved it, I have also tried this year's 800 and loved this also, I would personally opt for the 850 as they are a little wider and would give more options alongside my other skis.

It really depends what you want them for....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks gatecrasher, do you know if the protrack is really adjustable like a demo binding? It might be useful when you want to sell the skis... as you don't have to redrill any holes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JayAre, yep both binding options are fully adjustable, also note I would only choose the protrack on the 800's, on the 850's I'd go for the z speed as I would probably venture off with them more than the 800's
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I first tried these for a day in Spring 2011 as a rental ski. we didn't have any new snow fall that week so they were used on pretty hard piste.

I liked them so much I bought a new pair in June 2011 (Very Very cheap) .... they are really a bit on the long side for me 182cm.

But I can manage them fine and feel very confident on them. I took them on the PSB last year and had a great time with them in the powder.
But I also took a pair of Salomon Racing 24hours which I love on the piste. The big shame was I had an off piste lesson and just happened that I was on the 24Hours ... I was crap and embarrassing.

Just for the hell of it I took a pair of "Old School" skis down to the Hemmel Fridge today for a slice of nostalgia.
These were a pair of Volkl "Snow Rangers" 190cm

Last time I tried them, I loved em, a great off piste & crud ski.
But I don't love them any more ... I just had two runs down and thought ... Goodness life used to be hard work before carvers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was given a pair to replace some XT 850s that had to go into the workshop. Great skis, very nimble on piste, stable and fast. Good for short turns.

Well, 6 weeks in I managed to break them. They are sold as having a wood core. Well I can tell you they don't; foam with a metal honeycomb lattice. They broke where the rocker starts, obviously the weak point on any rocker ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy