Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's gona be one of those days

Poster: A snowHead
It's just one of those days Toofy Grin

The storm that has been going on for the past four days ended last night.
Today - blue sky and powder

View from my bedroom window in Tignes Val Claret

Smile Madeye-Smiley

May even use my fat skis - you know that type ? The type that "some" snowHead's use all the time Laughing Laughing Laughing
(spent the money on them instead of ski lessons - which would have made powder skiing much better than white dotting all over the place, oh well wink Shocked )

Hmmm shall I get some mojos and a pair of fats - or shall I take some lessons?
Yep mojos and fats it is Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sweet. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Save some Powder for me - arriving Sunday - staying in Tommeuses, right by the piste I think.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks dreadful, i'd stay indoors if I were you...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't eat all the powder, Wayne! I'm arriving an 17th, and would like some for myself, please! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, Is that the slap of a (very limited edition) gauntlet being thrown - I'd suggest for the benefit of our general entertainment you and the doc have a ski off.

Home and away legs - the Hof and your Folgartrollida place?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, I'm not bighting. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Happy skiing Very Happy

one question... how wide are your wide "getitrightf'inupye" skis?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Folgartrollida place

Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly wrote:
Happy skiing Very Happy

one question... how wide are your wide "getitrightf'inupye" skis?

When looked out of the door this morning the pow was only knee to thigh deep on ave - with a little windblown stuff bit deeper.
so used normal all mountain skis (78 under foot) - so the K2 fats stayed in the room.

Didn't really need the fats anyway - as I took lessons to learn how to ski
Laughing wink Shocked Laughing wink Shocked

Don't get me wrong there is nowt wrong with fats and there are a "few" times they would be good idea (depending on where you were off to and by which route) but .............not many
Of course in Japan or Canada, fair enough, but last week in tignes ????

Bit of piste work with an instructor cost's much less than a pair of dots (or equivalent)
Bit of balance work with an instructor cost's much less than some mojos (or equivalent). Mind you, mojo’s or something like them, are excellent for people with a "medical reason" to use them. Not just as you feel tired do to a bad stance.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
...a pair of fat skis that you already own cost much less than a pair of go faster stripe slalom skinnies that you're hoping and praying you won't need to use.

Actually I'm a bit concerned about snow coverage where I'm headed - was toying with leaving the Preachers at home in favour of a more piste focused ski. Shamans are only 184cm so they should do the trick?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob,
Here's an idea. Why not wait until you arrive at where you're going to and hire a set of appropriate skis.
Or just do as I do and get a pair of all mountain skis. Other than in exceptional circumstances they will do whatever you need.
Of course if you "do" need a specific type - race skis or touring ski would be good examples, then fine, get some.

I sh*t you not. Last week I was on a t bar with a snowHead and they has a set of 100 underfoot ski. It was their 3rd week skiing.
Why?
They had read that is what you needed, on this forum.
Hmmmmm, saying nowt.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paging Touretteski .......... Paging Touretteski
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nah I'll just buy a pair of junker SLs from the local 2nd hand store if I get that desparate.

Without rehashing the old argument I've got tremendous sympathy with your point of view and I absolutely get the frustration of trying to teach people who turn up on kit that is not conducive to learning whether that's full race skis or inappropriate fats. 100 underfoot isn't excessive however for real "all mountain" for someone who can ski at a reasonable level.

At 3 weeks if that was anything more than a demo pair I'd suggest the user would need to be extremely athletic to be getting the best out of them. If it was a demo why not? Instructors are very fond of taking people out of their comfort zone by doing one footed, boots unclipped or other drills, what's the harm in trying skis a bit wider than you should be on for the conditions to see how you need to improve edging, weight transfer etc? Does instructors vs gearwhores need to be the new skier vs snowboarder battleground?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne wrote:
I sh*t you not. Last week I was on a t bar with a snowHead and they has a set of 100 underfoot ski. It was their 3rd week skiing.
Why?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
FlyingStantoni, I think if they'd read properly they'd have realised that they needed* DPS 112RP Pures.

* need used in the sense that [sexist stereotype] some women [/sexist stereotype] need Jimmy Choos.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Why?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That would be SZK I guess, he was probably having a laff.
latest report
fatbob,
Quote:

If it was a demo why not?
I'm able to say - after the event - because they might unwittingly hurt themselves. Twisted Evil (And I've skied a bit more than three weeks.) It actually stands to reason that a very wide, long ski might put a strain on the knees of a small person trying to heave them on to their edges. Sadly, not only small but stupid with it. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Shut up you lot, just picked these up and even if I only use them 8 days a year I am happy that the smile will last a year. Yeehaa.

snow report
Did someone actually take time from skiing in order to post on a fat skis thread?

People who like fat skis are the same as Hitler [/Godwin]
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:
Did someone actually take time from skiing in order to post on a fat skis thread?

Not really

You know the title of this thread is “It’s gona be one of those days”.

Well
Lifts didn’t open till 10.
Went up had a couple of off piste whizzes (on non-fats)
Tomous lift broke down no way back to tignes
Ski’ed down to val for some lunch to wait for lift to be fixed
Train broke down
No way back to tignes !!
Waited for the emergency bus that tignes had laid on
Waited
Waited
Go back to tignes just as lift were closing
Yep “it was one of those days”
latest report
Wayne, you mean lifts break down in places other than Scotland, well I never wink

I'm staying out of the fat v skinny argument, suffice to say I'm sure *you* can handle them Twisted Evil
latest report
Pedantica, We cannae change the laws of physics. Adult male (& competent wink ) is usually my default assumption when talking about ski widths. FWIW I've found Preachers too much of a handful and not enjoyable indoors.
ski holidays
Oh bad luck, Wayne.

Any way, you have had the most stunning sunset according to this.

http://www.tignes.net/en/skiing-in-tignes/webcams-290.html

Final shot of the day, my favourite is from Toviere.
ski holidays
fatbob, even worse when you're pig-ignorant of said laws. Embarassed
It gives me some comfort to learn that you find the Preachers tricky in that setting too, even though you're of an everso slightly different build! wink I'd still adore to ski them off-piste, though.

Wayne, Sad Sad Sad
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Wayne, Sad Sad Sad

Don't worry about me not skiing today - I do a lot of it.

Today was brill for one reason

I looked up into the sky and saw this - not a clue how 4 rainbows came together or what the weird shaped thing was in the middle but hey, it was worth it.

Absolutely wonderful.

Only a mobile phone picture so it doesn't really do it justice, but I hope it gives at least some idea of how stunning it was.
ski holidays
Wayne, gosh! That's fantastic.
ski holidays
Amazing pic
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne, that is stunning.
snow conditions
Wayne, that is stunning.
latest report
the world is going to end!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wayne, that would make a great graphic on a fat ski rolling eyes Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wayne, I think that's a sundog. A google search of sundog images shows one very similar to your pic.
snow report
Zero-G, thanks for that - I took a picture of one in VT in 2005 and didn't know there was a name for it:

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy