Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone reccomend good shop/bootfitter in southern alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, i'm currently living near the southern french alps (yes, lucky! want to make the most of it).

I used my boots again last weekend and it really took the edge of what should have been a good day, to the point that i'm thinking of going and renting some other boots... so i was wondering if anyone has advice, what would be ideal is a ski shop with an english speaking boot fitter, that someone can reccomended in somewhere like serre chevalier where i could hopefully have something done to solve the problem. Either that or something i can do myself.

I bought my first ski boots last season from a big uk chain, had them fitted, followed all the advice etc. I had problems the first few times of using them so went back and was reccomended custom footbeds, which i got.

I find that the boots press against the top of the foot, in an area about an inch square which can get really uncomfortable. But this is usually just the one foot and varies between days from almost nothing to horrendous. Also, in both boots after a while my feet get really numb and tingling, especially around the sole of the foot. this in turn can lead to the feeling of really cold toes.

The boots seem to be best in warm weather and noticeably worse in colder temperatures, although i can get the same feeling when walking about with them in the house.

I have experimented with lots of different permutations of boot tightenting and think i can't really make it any looser without having a bad effect on control. I fear perhaps the boot shelll is just too small.

Are there options for heating up the boots to make them bigger in volume? i want to know what options there could be.

thanks...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a good one in Les Deux Alpes I believe, Cedric at Jacques Sports. I don't know how good his English is though (although I could probably find out).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ractys, the pressure on top of your foot is most likely cutting off the blood supply to your toes which is why they tingle then go numb, could alos be related to ankle flex or lack of it due to a tight calf or other biomechanical factors

as for a fitter in that area Cedric is the only one i know of, without a trip up to chamonix of course wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ractys, usually "the locals" will know who in the village/resort is the best fitter (as it will be the one that they, the ski club and the instructors use and they their kids to,

OK they "obviously" wouldn't be as good as a certain shop in Chamonix!! but they should be ok, plus if they do need to do some "adjustments" they usually do them in small increments (unless the UK chain has totally screwed up) so having someone local who you can work with, they make an adjustment, you test and go back they review and make an adjustment you test and this goes on until the issue is sorted.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought a pair of boots from CEM a little while ago, and althoguh they seemed fine on the indoor slopes etc / wearing them around the house, they began to numb my toes while in LDA. I went and saw Cedric who tinkered with them, and although I still had minor issues, I could ski for several hours with out my foot in agony, so yes, Cedric should be worth a visit.

**Edit** This is in no way a slight on CEM, whos service and fitting was exemplary. It was just unfortunate that I encountered issues while in resort. CEM - apologies if that's how it comes across.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ractys, +1 for Cedric.

Also try Julien at Olivier Sports 2000 in Alpe d'Huez or his colleague Mike at their shop in the Quartier Vieil Alpe, they both speak excellent english.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy