Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Before The Euro

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
[pedant]
Hang on miranda, 20,000+ coins, and 300 back. Shurely shome mishtake, unless they were all 1p's (300/20,000=0.015!)
[/pedant] wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HSBC have free change-counting machines.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laughing

I think I probably had about 20 quid worth of 20p pieces and 50 quid of 10p pieces and the rest in 1p and 2p pieces (with the majority being 1p pieces, given that lots of things are priced at £X.99)

Assuming I had £333.33 (if the 10% charge you suggested is correct)... all power to you if you can be bothered to bag that all up and take it to the bank and it is a good example you are setting in these cash-strapped days. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last, interesting... maybe they'll have one in Annecy then.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B wrote:
Anyone remember when Italy was short of small change (which was worthless anyway) and you got a handful of sweets instead?

yup. That was what i was goign to say - properly freaked out and thought they were trying to do me out of my change, in my defense I was only about 10. NehNeh
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
Ski passes now are stupid money........
Yeah, I think that has become a major negative factor especially for families.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wonder if ski passes are more expensive in real terms? I remember ski passes as always having been very expensive for a family.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I for one are glad to have got rid of the multiple currencies. We used to have bags at home containing the left overs since you always lost a lot on changing them back and they could always be used on the next trip. I still have a 10,000,000,000 dinar note from yugoslavia. No wonder the banks hated the euro; they got 10% of every transaction. It makes the Tobin tax appear real small fry.

On another point has anyone actually tried spending small chage, 1 and 2 cent coins in France. The cafe in Tignes just would not accpet them.

John
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
The cafe in Tignes just would not accept the [small coins].

John

I think they only accept notes in Tignes...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
I wonder if ski passes are more expensive in real terms? I remember ski passes as always having been very expensive for a family.

They were certainly always a significant part of the budget. But I don't think they were quite as much as now.

I've just looked at the earliest I can find on any of teh piste maps/lift passes I have kept, which is from Schladming in 1998/9 season. The six day area pass then was 1,795 Schillings - which were 20 to teh pound in those days, making the lift pass £96.50.

Most lift passes are around double that now, but I don't think prices generally have doubled in the last 13 years.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question, but was it better? I only started skiing 5 years ago (why i didn't go earlier i will never know) and ive no idea what it was like before it came in. Obviously Switzerland still has the Swiss Franc but how was it going to France with the Franc, Italy with the Lira, Germany with the Deutsche Mark, Austria with the Schilling etc. There isn't a purpose to the question other than to get the opinion of people who have skied, long before i started and went when there was different European currancies.

You'll soon find out after the Euro collapses wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
pam w wrote:
do I remember 80 Austrian schillings to the £, or did I dream that?
dreaming.

Depends when you went. I skied for the first time in Austria, Christamas - New Year '70 - '71 and I got 66 schillings to the pound.

Also, at that time the Austrians hadn't worked out how to fleece the tourist like the other nations so everything was very good value.

So, to answer Ricklovesthepowder, I would say yes, financially it was better, in Austria at least, until the Schilling got to around 20 per pound. Then they started to cotton on!

However, I much prefer the modern day ski kit. No 'Norwegian Ragsocks'. No wooden skis with wire bindings. How safe were they? No screw on edges that went missing. No lacing up the inner and outers on leather boots, the laces of which when wet would try to cut through your cold fingers as they always needed re-tightening. No detacheable chairs. Rickety cable cars instead of nice quick detacheable gondolas....The list goes on!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
elj221c wrote:
Also, at that time the Austrians hadn't worked out how to fleece the tourist like the other nations so everything was very good value.
Yeah, bliss. Basically farmers who couldn't believe their luck in getting winter income so everything was a bonus to them. I rarely used to book anything (or, more accurately, try and book anything), just turned up and called on a few places. Ah, jumpers for goalposts...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
first time i went to Italy (sauze.....) they were struggling with change (or the lack of it). bought some stamps and got little sweets by way of change; on another occasion I was given tokens for a gaming machine !!!!!! Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Back in the seventies (?76) school trip to Germany - one of the guys got a 3 pound win on the ferry fruit machine ( no, shouldn't have been playing, hid from teachers). But £3 was big money those days. Paid out in 5p coins (the big ones): was miffed.

Arrived in the Rhineland to find that vending machines slots taking deutchmarks were exactly fooled by the same size 5p bit. Suddenly things looking up. 20 deutchmarks to the pound Result!

When we bought our place in the French Alps we exchanged at £1 : €1.45 Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we didn't change overly much more, as it had dropped from 1.50 and we thought we'd got a bum deal...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy