Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Gastein on 10th - cancel holiday or go? Anybody there with advice?

Poster: A snowHead
If you were happy to dump the £300 of flights, then why aren't you happy to dump the £150 of accommodation?

If it were me, I would, and go and stay somewhere where the snow is. You know it makes sense. By the time you've been taking trains at €15 each, each way, that's €60 per day and - moreover - three hours spent on trains (in damp, sweaty kit on the way home, too).

€60 per day would rent you this studio in St Anton.

http://cheapstanton.blogspot.com/

Interhome.com have a flat for €340 for that week.

I'm sure there must be something cheaper.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shenryo, I do not think there are any doable public transport day trips available from Bad Gastein unless you have a car and prepare to drive for 1h each way or so. Unless Bad Gastein tourist office will organise some emergency buses but I doubt.

How did you plan to get to Bad Gastein from Munich originally? Surely it will be similar trip by train or taxi transfer.

Planai.at will have search for Schladming accommodations or I can email you the details of pension we stayed last year.

Or just follow James the Last suggestion, and look for new place in St Anton or any other open resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just back yesterday from grossarl which is linked into dorfgastein which is just down the road from BG. had nothing but brown and green slopes till monday when there was a light sprinkling on top but nothng at valley level. it was the same yesterday until we were leaving resort and it started hammring down with snow to the valley but I cannot comment on what would be open or not as it had only just started to snow. they were supposed to open on the 3rd (which is why we went there) Evil or Very Mad we did hear people asking in the hotel as to whether anything was open on monday and that was before the big dump. I would be confident they would be plenty sking for you from the 10th onwards. I would ring one of the in town hotels if I were you and ask as if you want to book and get as much info as you can get from them re the sking.
go for it as you will have a 100% better chance than we had! let us know how you got on when you get hame
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shenryo, there was quite a bit of snow overnight but no idea whether it will last. They are out bashing the pistes in the valley so it does look promising. You can guarantee that if you move to another resort, Gastein will be fine. If you don't, everything will be shut. Sods law.

Here's a good webcam to watch: http://badgastein.panomax.at/

I do tend to agree that without a car, it can be difficult to get to other resorts. Schaldming seam to have the most open at the moment but i'm sure it's a fair trek.

Kersh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shenryo wrote:
what if I just dropped BG altogether, kept Munich flights in tact though - where then? Not St. Anton though as my partner is an intermediate skiier who I am unsure will love the business of the resort... unless prices are right... in fact stuff it, I would take anything if prices are right - where can I find prices for trains?

http://www.oebb.at/en/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey guys - I think we are gonna bite the bullet and just head out to BG, we have to check in at hotel in BG so have to be there on the 10th... Tom W, your advice to ski Schladming sounds great, but will probs have to be a day trip type of idea - do you, or anybody else for that matter, have some more info on conducting day trips to this or other resorts?

Also, can anybody shed light on the following: from the Gastein FB page it says that the Stubnerkogelbahn in Bad Gastein is open from 8th to 11th for pedestrians. This is the translated message which my hotel has also now confirmed:

"Due to the lack of snow, the start of the season is expected to close on Thursday, the 15 December 2011!

The Stubnerkogelbahn in Bad Gastein is open from the December 8 to December 11 2011 to pedestrians!

The practice area of Bucheben (conveyor belt) is open from Wednesday, December 7, 2011.

The practice area Angertal (ski lift Judau) is open from Thursday, December 8, 2011.

South of the city bus line no. 1 (black) South of the ski bus line no. 2 (blue) Bad Hofgastein - Angertal the Citybus North + Wieden line no. 8 (pink) run from Thursday, 8 December 2011 according to the timetable in the ski bus Info!"

Any other ideas what we could do, apart from the spas?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last, missed that comment mate: I'm not happy to drop any prices that I've paid, just trying to think what the hell is best to do. The hotel in BG is a gift from my mother for my birthday so on thinking about it I am very hesitant to not take it up. The other BIG problem I think I would have is transfers. I am not scheduled in to Munich airport till 16:15, time I get luggage I suppose you can round up to 5pm. I would have thought that would be too late to get in to St. Anton or Ishcgl via train, then public bus?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kersh, thanks for the webcam pal - looks REALLY snowy.... can you point out roughly on there we are staying - Mondi Bellevue?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shenryo wrote:
James the Last, missed that comment mate: I'm not happy to drop any prices that I've paid

Sorry, "mate" I must have completely misunderstood you when you wrote:

shenryo wrote:
My partner is now saying that if we can't ski, we should take a warm holiday... All we would miss out on are under £300 for flights.

Anyway you state you are

shenryo wrote:
, just trying to think what the hell is best to do.

On the grounds that TomW thinks the train will cost you €60 per day, commuting from BG to Schladming, plus a load of sweat and tears, then why bother when you can presumably get a room in Schladming - or elsewhere - for the same amount - or less.

But then I'm just repeating myself, and you're going to go to BG anyway. Have a lovely time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
James the Last, lol, yeah, cheers for the help

Kersh wrote:
shenryo, there was quite a bit of snow overnight but no idea whether it will last. They are out bashing the pistes in the valley so it does look promising. You can guarantee that if you move to another resort, Gastein will be fine. If you don't, everything will be shut. Sods law.

Kersh
tell me about it Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kersh, you probs no better than most as I am guessing you are based there (?), but maybe we could overindulge in some ice skating, tobogganing, snow shoeing, nice restaurants, and Gluhwein if nothing is open. I imagine the town is still gonna be fully operational. I've done some searching around on the net and it would seem that Tom W, is right in that day trips are gonna be difficult - my hotel agree.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shenryo, you can see the Bellevue on that webcam but its going to be tricky to point it out. Ok, so you see the writing that says 'Felsentherme Gastein," go right and you see a building which is cream with a dark drown band at the top (above it are trees), immediately infront of that you'll see a yellow looking building with some trees in front of it - that's the Bellevue! Click the webcam back to about midday today to see the town a little better.

As for the Facebook page, it basically says nothing of any significance will open before the 15th. The 2 practice areas are just that, only about 10m to 30m vertical uplift with each. I'd keep an eye on Dorfgastein because they are usually the first to open as they have loads of snow cannons.

There are some nice winter walks if the skiing is closed. The walk up Kötschachtal past the Gruner Baum to the Prossau Haus is very nice. I'd also go to Sportgastein because i'm sure the cross country tracks will be open. Also, go to the Alpentherme spa in Bad Hofgastein.

Let me know if I can help anymore. Pray for snow ... i'm there on the 16th!!

Kersh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kersh, think I've spotted it, seems pretty central to main hive of activity - the train issue with getting into Ischgl, St. Anton, or Schladaming has probably made our decision for us - for St. Anton/Landeck station, the earliest I can get there for is after 10pm which I would imagine to be far too late. My birthday is the 14th so hopefully Ullr will be kind for that, at least! I really appreciate the help you've given me and would love to buy you a beer if you're around on the 16th, you've more than earned one helping me out on here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shenryo, cheers but you don't have to buy me a beer ... i'd be an alcoholic if everyone I helped with their Gastein holiday bought me a beer! Laughing We'll be eating dinner in the Krone Youth Hostel on Friday night followed by beers in town if you want to come and join us? I dare say Speedster will be with us too.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shenryo, How do you plan to get from Munich to Bad Gastein? Train? The only sensible way to do a day trips will be by having a car I guess.
Just under 1h (according to google) each way to Kaprun glacier!!, Wagrain, Flachau etc.....
I would def consider renting from Munich airport. Saves you the train fare for two people each way. So at the end extra 200-300E for the car will save the skiing for you and you get the chance to ski some good places too.
I believe it is pretty straight forward - main road drive too.
snow conditions
Kersh, haha, yeah, I may well take you up on that and meet for a beer. One more thing; there is one practical option that I have just stumbled upon - Kaprun / Zell am See - I can get in to that train station for 21:48, maybe still too late, I don't know. Found some very cheap accommodation apparently central also - any experience with this resort? I believe they have snow at least lol
snow conditions
In fact on that note, just checked rail site - can get to Zell for 12 euros and only takes 1 hour 29 with one change - that surely wouldn't be too bad? Schladming is 1 hour 34, one change, 15 Euros - these times don't bother me, I suppose it's what you have to do when you're there to get skiing?

VORTEILScard worth getting?
latest report
shenryo, Zell am See might not have a lot opened but Kaprun will. But is an extra bus ride from Zell.
latest report
Tom W, I'm feeling a lot more upbeat about this trip now. Sorry, just noticed your earlier reply. We have coach transfers from Munich booked. Pick us up at airport, straight to hotel. I really don't mind the train journey if it's gonna get me skiing. Never used in the Alps though. Have you done that from Zell to Kaprun? It's not part of the Ski Amade pass though is it? Doing the train thing, I believe I would have Zell, Kaprun, Schalaming at least - others too? Is the idea travel in boots or get a locker?
ski holidays
shenryo,

OK if you want to add Kaprun/Zell you will need to get a Super Salzburg ski pass. A bit more expensive than Ski Amade pass.
http://www.salzburgerland.com/ski-board/en/super-ski-card/salzburg-super-ski-card.html

Schladming in this respect is on Amade ski pass. I think there might be an early train on weekdays to get you there for around 10am, as I mentioned it is not really a walking distance from the station to the gondola though. I would def rent a locker and change boots. There are plenty of lockers in Schladming Planai gondola base station.
Hauser Kaibling is great but I am not sure they will open the lift link from main Schladming Planai to Hauser. If not there are buses next to the Planai gondola.
snow conditions
Tom W, 246 EUROS, that's not too bad - Ski Amade are about 200 I think? Think a day pass at Kaprun is 29 Euros.

Does the Schladming station not have a bus stop for skiiers? Also, are you familiar with the Kaprun station? Bus straight from Zell sation to Kaprun? Any idea of duration? What is the Hauser Kaibling?

Also, do you know much about the VORTEILScard? And, do you have to pre-book tickets online or just pay on the day at the stations?
snow report
aaaaHHH 99 eUROS THOse - I would have thought there was a short period tourist card
snow conditions
shenryo, ok cool, let me know if you want to join us. I'm sure you'll spot us in the bar - 5 English guys aged between later twenties to mid forties. wink

It has to be said, if I were you and going on the advice on this thread, I would be seriously tempted to ditch the coach and hire a car from Munich Airport. If Gastein is all shut for most of next week, I think it will pay to have a car to get to the other resorts easily. I'm going for the weekend and while i'd prefer to ski in Gastein, I will have a car so can get to other places. I'm therefore fairly relaxed about the whole thing ... sort of! NehNeh

Kersh
ski holidays
REJOICE! REJOICE! AND KEEP FAITH IN ULLR!!! from the BG Facebook page Smile

"Hurray, Hurray We start to the season!
Dear friends from tomorrow, Saturday 10 December 2011, we open the doors! What lifts and pistes from tomorrow are open, will find at the following link. Gasteiner Bergbahnen..live in Ski Amadé" WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

Kersh, sure thing, I guess we could meet for a cheeky beer. Can you PM on here?
snow report
http://www.skigastein.com/files/situationsbericht-saisonstart_09.12.2011.pdf
snow conditions
Please note that the Kaserebenbahn rail, and the slopes are not open to the Angertal! ???
ski holidays
Hire a car, a Focus/Astra is £133 for a week, inc winter tyres (Holiday Autos, usual link).

Then do as Tom W says, go to Schladming (or somewhere else that's open) for a few days thewn to BG when it opens. Lots of lovely snow, you need to be there Smile
snow report
Sorry, must have missed page 2 of this thread. Have a great time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ghost Dog, cheers buddy Smile
ski holidays
shenryo, Brilliant. Have a good time.
Schlossalm lifts are definitely good for the start. Easier, longer cruising and great views. You might have to take a city bus and then catch the lift from Bad Hofgastein.
On Angertal looks like it will be only one red and a cat track open.

Still, what a news, considering what the situation was just yesterday.

If open head for apres to Silver Bullet (Swedish bar in the centre).

Keep an eye if Dorfgastein will open as there are some great runs there too. Well worth a bus trip.

Kersh, What have they done to this new interactive piste map? Absolutely horrible. Shocked

http://affiliate.skiamade.com/de/winter/skiregionen/pistenpanorama?zoom=112

Old pfd map a hundred times better:
http://www.skigastein.com/files/ski-info_2011/bb_gastein_ski-info_e_2tr-01.pdf

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 9-12-11 15:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Tom W, thanks, I am sure we will - still think we may take the day trip to Kaprun one day though

I am delighted with that news!
snow report
Tom W, i've never bothered with the interactive map and always use the pdf'd version of the piste map you can pick up. I've actually got a load of them here as we send them to all our guests before they arrive. wink I don't read one in bed .. honest! Embarassed

Have you seen the Google Earth map - that's quite good! snowHead

shenryo, will PM you! wink

Cheers
snow conditions
Kersh, cheers

thanks to everybody that has helped me on this thread, very much appreciated folks... in Snowheads we trust!
ski holidays
shenryo, wink .. have a great time.

Here's the Google Earth Piste Map ...

http://www.ecosign.at/kmz/gastein/Gastein.kmz

Cheers
latest report
Kersh, brilliant, thanks. that's this afternoon's entertainment sorted. two weeks today we fly out...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy