Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Gastein on 10th - cancel holiday or go? Anybody there with advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

Like some of you know I am supposed to be heading out to Bad Gastein this weekend (10th) fort one week's skiing, followed by three nights in Munich Xmas markets. Now then, I really hate to be one of those worried and lost the faith, but I really 'am starting to worry. Quite simply, are we going to be able to ski at all? My partner is now saying that if we can't ski, we should take a warm holiday and ski in February on a cheap week somewhere. All we would miss out on are under £300 for flights. I want to go, but 'am unsure if we will be doing no skiing.

I know it is forecast for snow, but it would appear not too much and with their being no base, this concerns me. Will the resort even be open? One, or two chairs? Is anybody there now, or near the area, or that knows more than me of current situation that can help put my mind at rest?

Appreciate any advice folks.

Ryan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shenryo, if you only have flights you can always consider Obertauern which will have more open (if not all) by next week.
They had more snow in the last few days so I guess they will open more slopes in the next few days.

http://www.obertauern.com/en/winter/news-events/news/article/schnee-update/42.html

Easy and cheap transfer from Salzburg. Accommodation might be more expensive than Gastein but who knows, with the slow start they might have offers too.

Great place with very good apres. Compact with lots of hotels close to the lifts.

They are known for early skiing so I assume will put much more effort in opening the pistes than some other resorts.
I was there in early December 2007 and everything was open, lots of apres and good atmosphere.

and if you over 30: http://www.obertauern.com/en/winter/news-events/events/details/event/601.html Wink

Let me know if you need any more help.

I was in Bad Gastein last winter and it is a great place. But looking at the snow they might not open that much next week. Maybe you should email tourist office and ask what exactly they plan to open.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 7-12-11 13:57; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With 15 cm base and more snow forecast you should be able to ski a few pistes.
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/bad-gastein

Nearby sportgastein has 30cm base and is forecast to see significant snowfall in the near future too.
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/sportgastein
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obertauern is normally a very safe bet but has had it's worst start in years.

Why not go west to St Anton where they saw 70cm fresh in the last 24 hours (circa 110 cm total) ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, Obertauern has 45cm on top already and probably another 20cm by tomorrow. All depends where they flight to. I assumed Salzburg. But if it is Munich then easy - St Anton by train.
Or best Very Happy go to Ischgl. Surely they will open well over 100km by the weekend with all that snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One is for sure - with all the new snow - I would not cancel the trip. You can pick the resort now and enjoy new snow and what looks like a pleasant weather later on.
Obertauern.
Ischgl.
St Anton.
Solden.
Obergurgl.
All will have lots open. Maybe even Bad Gastein. Just email/call them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shenryo,
OK I just checked their Facebook page and looks like they have postponed the opening to 15th.

http://www.facebook.com/gasteinerbergbahnen?sk=wall

Still you have plenty of option as mentioned.

Let me know if you need any help in case you decide on other resort. This is what I would do for sure as some places will have lots of fresh snow for the weekend. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shenryo, I'm going out to St Anton Friday, skiing Sat - Mon and know some places where you will get reasonably priced accommodation, 60€pppn b&b, nice and clean, nothing fancy but good places. If you want any info PM me and I'll get back to you. If the snow arrives in BG you can drive back there.

Does your ski insurance cover you for no skiing? If so why not take the flights, claim for the accomodation in BG and hire a car from Salzburg and drive up to Arlberg (FOC parking), conditions are perfect and its opening tomorrow and fully over the coming weekend.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flying to Munich, don't really want to cancel flights as it's my birthday week so have been really looking forward to it. Absolutely gutted to see that they are talking about opening on the 15th, my birthday is the 14th! Would mean only three days of skiing. They say they may open earlier if they get more snow but how much would be needed in reality against how much is forecast?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shenryo, Did you book the hotel already? If not go to St Anton, Ischgl or Obertauern.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shenryo,

I'd train it from Munich to St Anton why?
From the resorts mentioned in this thread - best snow at the moment, best resort and easiest to get to by train.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shenryo, You should be fine, I'd be surprised if they have nothing open. I'm in Schladming not a million miles from Gastein and it's dumping it here, we're on the same linked ski amade lift pass as Gastein. If you are thinking of changing resort then Schladming area has quite a bit of available skiing, same distance from Munich maybe a tad closer (2.5 - 3 hours drive weather permitting, trains possible). I was out skiing this morning at Reiteralm where you can ski from top to bottom (1900m to 750m), not all piste open yet but loads more lifts due to open tomorrow around Schladming and that was the schedule before the heavy snow we're currently getting. Will be a pow day tomorrow for sure Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shenryo, I'm going to Schladming on the 16th. Was worried, not so much now since it's dumped (http://www.planai.at/winter/en/Home.html). 4 hour train from Munich.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shenryo, Dont forget it takes 2-3 days to get it prepped and opened after snowfall, my suggestion would be make alternative plans, ie as above. St Anton is 3-3.5 hours drive from MUC, and its all motorway..........same as we are doing and we dont arrive until 9.30pm to MUC on Friday evening. Youll get a car for £250 incl tryes and chains for the week, £70 fuel.

Dont know your budget but there'll be loads of accomm available, as mentioned above can let you have names of 2-3-4* accom.

I'd be going to St Anton or Ischgl, and doing BG another time - nothing worse than hanging on when in resort for it to snow and then for opening, takes an eternity.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
waynos, Their facebook page already postponed the date. See above.

I would consider Schladming as well. Surely they will try hard to open more pistes by the weekend.

For piste skiing and mileage it will be hard to beat Ischgl. But for train convenience - St Anton should be easier to get to.
Obertauern is better for easier piste skiing. St Anton is class but a bit difficult for lower intermediates.
snow report
Tahnks for the heads up guys - what about transfers? We really don't want to be driving at all. Transfers and decent priced acc to Ischgl or St. Anton from Munich - the problem we have is that we have our acc in BG via our timeshares, which cost us only £149 for the entire week... getting married in May so don't want to over-abuse the budget
snow report
shenryo, sweet photos
snow conditions
shenryo, You'l find Schladming will be a bit cheaper than St Anton. Large beer around 3-3.5, main course around 8euros in most huts. Accommodation there's a big range but it's early season, should be reasonable. Can train from Munich to Salzburg then onto many ski areas around here. I here Altenmarkt / Radstadt have actually brought their opening forward a week from the original schedule, so this weekend.
latest report
Quote:

a bit cheaper than St Anton. Large beer around 3-3.5, main course around 8euros

waynos, 1/2 price!!

shenryo, Train to St Anton very good, c 4 hours. You change twice, see dbbahn website, usually excellent service and short changes. StA is best for intermediate+ and expert skiers, plenty to go at for all IMO. Once you've been you're spoilt though................... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
shenryo, Schladming will be the cheapest from those mentioned. Accessible by train. Last January we paid for basic room around 30E per person per night. It might be cheaper in December. Nice central location, but basic. I could email you details.
Looks like some lifts are already open in Hauser, Schladming and Reiteralm so you should have enough good terrain to ski.

http://www.facebook.com/HauserKaiblingFan
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, thank you Smile
Markymark29, yeah, I love St. Anton, cracking area
waynos, sounds like a good area to be fair

I am really pressed for a bloody decision here - I just don't know what to do! I know the acc is going to be a helluva lot more than what we have paid for Bad Gastein, but do I take a gamble - I mean, just how much is it gonna dump tonight... them now saying the 15th is a massive worry - if they stuck to that we would have two and a half days skiing - what else, apart from spas which I can take or leave, could we do in BG?
snow report
shenryo, Train to Schladming for a day skiing wink
ski holidays
I was going to ask about that - how practical are day trips from BG?
snow report
shenryo, Same ski pass. The train is around 1.5h with one change (but easy change, just the other side of the same platform). Timetable only good for weekdays, 15E one way. Schladming train station is not really a walking distance from the lifts station though.
So doable but lots of hard work and time/money consuming.

Why not stay in Schladming for the first 3 or 4 nights and then take train to Bad Gastein for the rest of the week?
Perfect option, same ski pass, pretty sure you can find a room for 50-60 E per day for two in Schladming as I mentioned before.

Train timetable: http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 7-12-11 16:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Maybe call the Tourist Office in BG to get an idea of the conditions.

Rudolf KEUSCHNIGG
Information & Guest Relations
Tel. +43/6432/3393-223

Katharina KURZ
Information & Guest Relations
Tel. +43/6432/3393-224
Fax: +43/6432/3393-232

They should still be open now. I would have thought Sport Gastein would be OK as its quite a bit higher, but check it out.

Good luck
latest report
Spinout, According to Bergfex which is pretty up to date, Sportgastein will open on 17th:

http://www.bergfex.com/sportgastein/
snow conditions
Tom W, Spinout, thanks guys - does anybody have info on Sportgastein? Surely that will be open before 15th? Don't they operate coach day trips to other resorts like they do in St. Anto and Cham?
ski holidays
shenryo, Look like Tom W is correct- The resort is closed till the 15th and Sport Gastein 17th. Don't bother going it will be dead.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
realistically, what are the options for a day trip from BG and what would the process be? I've never had to do that before...
latest report
shenryo,
too far away for those places. Kaprun glacier will be the closest but still I do not think there is a regular bus connection.

Shame for Gastein though as Grossarl who shares the same mountain with Dorfgastein will have some runs open this weekend - so at least they should have run the Dorfgastein gondola to offer some skiing in Grossarl for Gastein valley customers. Strange.

shenryo, you should consider taking train from Munich to Schladming for the first 3 or 4 nights. It will only cost you extra 60E or so per night (depending what quality accommodation you are after) but you will have full week of skiing. In two great places.
snow report
Tom W, hey buddy, so are you saying Schladming would be the best option from Munich? Any good sites for cheap trains? Never done that either, always coach transfers
snow report
shenryo, I am saying Schladming if you still want to use you Bad Gastein accommodation for the second part of the week.

If not, all mentioned earlier places will be good. But then you pay more for the room.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 7-12-11 16:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Try http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp the austrian rail website, in english too!
ski holidays
what if I just dropped BG altogether, kept Munich flights in tact though - where then? Not St. Anton though as my partner is an intermediate skiier who I am unsure will love the business of the resort... unless prices are right... in fact stuff it, I would take anything if prices are right - where can I find prices for trains?
latest report
waynos, thanks so much - gonna have to get something sorted... feeling like knocking BG on the head altogether now... GUTTED!
snow report
shenryo, Pricewise combination of Schladming first and your accommodation in Bad Gastein for the second part of the week could be a good option.

Otherwise you have lots of other mentioned earlier places but probably more expensive or harder to get to. Ischgl will be brilliant but how much you willing to spend on a room?
You can search here: www.ischgl.com
You need to take train Munich - Landeck and then local bus.
ski holidays
Just rang my timeshare company up - no money back at this late stage on accommodation - AWESOME! It's a birthday pressie an all so probs have to stick with BG now Sad
snow report
shenryo wrote:
Just rang my timeshare company up - no money back at this late stage on accommodation - AWESOME! It's a birthday pressie an all so probs have to stick with BG now Sad

Then you should seriously consider Schladming for the first 3 days wink
ups I am repeating myself...........
ski holidays
Tom W, right OK mate, say we do that, how would we go about it - train from Munich? which station? best place to search from acc?
ski holidays
and/or - is there a site on here in which I can gather prices for day trips there?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy